What's new
What's new

Need to build a quick and cheap "cell" around a couple machines.

huleo

Hot Rolled
Until we can add more space or find another solution, I have two machines close to a water jet and the garnet is getting on the machines. I do NOT want garnet in the machines! We also really cannot really build stud walls because we need access to the machines. I was dreaming up some sort of shower curtain that we could roll back when needed but would otherwise shield the machines.

I realize this is not ideal and not looking to go nuts with a design but we have to do something. We cannot enclose the jet because we have to walk up to it with a forklift.

Anyone have a bright idea here? Ceiling in there is 10ft and machines are in the corner so I need 2 walls or curtains I guess.

I'm sure I've seen references to a heavy duty powered curtain wall system for this sort of job. Possibly for creating a safe welding room or similar when simple curtains on basic frame aren't enough. As I recall it tow tracks on the floor either straight or one bend to make an L with runners on vertical poles to support the curtain. Power drive to pull the curtains round. Presumably cables to and bottom. No idea if it rolled up the curtain or Z folded it via vertical bars at intervals.

Proper industrial rated system so not cheap but intended to work and work properly at the push of a button. Simple curtains on hanger will be hard to handle if heavy duty enough to last and keep all the garnet where it belongs. Pulling curtains round is something likely to be skimped when time is short or folk having abad day.

Clive

The vinyl strips work just great for this kinda stuff and you can just push through them.

Agree, those vinyl strips could prob work but OMG is that stuff expensive! I used to have to refresh that stuff annually on a large facility 16x16 door. Well, I guess we used the super thick stuff and I bet they have thinner. That could work. Issue is I sort of want to roll it all back when the jet is not running and we need better machine access. When I think about a system that would kind of roll back like a shower curtain, I fail to see how I can make that work without some effort. Gotta have supports in several places.

Not sure if this fits your budget but you could build a frame out of 80/20 extrusion, they have all sorts of different compatible hinges, rolling elements and gaskets/mounts for adding panels.

Mcmaster has CAD models of everything, they just call it "T-Slotted framing" but I believe it's all 80/20 brand stuff. Really easy to design everything in CAD beforehand and then order.

Agree! I doubt I want to splurge for that stuff for this project and would be harder to mount to the ceiling but something with a channel or T would be ideal I think. I was also thinking about just making wider curtains from whatever thick mil plastic I can buy, and just roll the end and shoot some eyelets in them so they could all roll back like a big curtain. We can just use a stick to move them along for now.

Just need to mentally figure out the channel material and moving elements to go in it.

I did an enclosure of sorts around my mill to try to contain most of the chips. Two 10' long sticks of electrical conduit, a bender, 4 shower curtains ($2.50 each at Walmart) and it works well, and I just trash the curtains when they get disgusting.

You might also want to check into ceiling supported assembly line channel. I bought a 10 length and some trolleys off Ebay for $50 to make a ceiling mounted lift. This stuff is rated for some pretty heavy weight, like 1000 pounds per 10'.

Another idea, I just saw an ad from Rockler woodworking with ceiling mounted track and hangers that can be locked or sliding... that might be just the ticket. Rockler Ceiling Track System |ROckler Woodworking and hardware

Until we can add more space or find another solution, I have two machines close to a water jet and the garnet is getting on the machines. I do NOT want garnet in the machines! We also really cannot really build stud walls because we need access to the machines. I was dreaming up some sort of shower curtain that we could roll back when needed but would otherwise shield the machines.

I realize this is not ideal and not looking to go nuts with a design but we have to do something. We cannot enclose the jet because we have to walk up to it with a forklift.

Anyone have a bright idea here? Ceiling in there is 10ft and machines are in the corner so I need 2 walls or curtains I guess.

P1000 uni-strut might be a good choice. You would need to research curtain hardware availability.

There are also many curtain tracks made for hospitals.

I’d be concerned about fire hazard. Most plastics and fabrics unless treated will burn fast installed vertically.

A third possibility would be welding curtains.

In our electrical shop I wanted to be able to wash trucks indoors. We used aluminum irrigation pipe 30’ long as a a roller hung from the ceiling with a bearing at each end. A valve operator chain pulley and a continuous chain rolled a single large sheet of poly up to the 14’ ceiling. A hook on the wall captured the chain to keep it rolled up. We had it on three sides. Even spray painted a truck in there a few times.

I did the shower curtain deal on one open machine. Walmart has some clear 7ft tall curtains that I ordered in along with some shower hangers. They seem to be pretty tough. I figure it will take a couple more years before I replace them.

Some 1-1/4 alum. tubing and a custom tubing clamp/holder on top of the machine allows me to pivot them out of the way when necessary along with sliding the curtains back on themselves.
All in all a $40.00 project as I recall.

Make sure that whatever you use is at least fire resistant - welding curtains are a good idea because they are designed not to burn.

OK, I think we have a solution for now which includes some changes in the shop and a curtain to be uses to partially protect the machine. We have sourced some fire resistant fabric that is light and strong and should work well.

However, we need to somehow roll back a FULL 34 foot of curtain as one long run AND with a 90* turn in there. If we just shoot a rod through some eyelets, the rod will need support in several places but the curtain needs to go past the supports. How do we do this? Are there shower curtains that do this? window curtains?

Unistrut. McMaster sells both the unistrut curtain rollers(Item 3626T16) and pieces of curved track (Item 3147T1) so you can make a complete track with straight runs and a 90 degree turn. Get the strut with the slots in the back to bolt straight to the ceiling. Then you just need a long enough fire resistant curtain.

Back