What's new
What's new

Need a good lead man / setup guy, how much $$$ should I be offering?

Edster

Diamond
I need another setup guy that can see the big picture in regards to job scheduling and managing bottlenecks in the manufacturing process. A setup guy / leadman is what I'm looking for. What is an average compensation for someone like this? We do alot of low volume production jobs. CAD/CAM and programming skills would not be necessary, but they would definatly be welcome.

My shop is small and everyone wears a lot of hats. So setups and managing workflow would be the primary duties, but sometimes running the machine and deburring parts would be needed.

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

I need another setup guy that can see the big picture in regards to job scheduling and managing bottlenecks in the manufacturing process. A setup guy / leadman is what I'm looking for. What is an average compensation for someone like this? We do alot of low volume production jobs. CAD/CAM and programming skills would not be necessary, but they would definatly be welcome.

My shop is small and everyone wears a lot of hats. So setups and managing workflow would be the primary duties, but sometimes running the machine and deburring parts would be needed.

In Vegas, going rate is $14-$15/hr...but there isnt much manufacturing in this town either so the demand is low.

I would happily pay $25/hr if I could find someone who could do those things AND think / improve things on their own. And we are in a fairly low wage area.

I did the opposite and went out and hired a Quality inspector who can schedule jobs. So he tracks jobs , does all quality paperwork, inspections etc and leaves me to make the parts. I'm in Norcal so pay is probably off but I'm paying upper 30s after bonuses. More than worth it to get that burden off my plate. He also deals with the customers calling... this alone was worth it for me. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

California and Low Wage should not be said in the same sentence, LOL

Huh in California?
California is a large state with all kinds of economics. Dstryr calls his home Northern California, yet he's 4 hours south of us and in the valley, and we're still 3 or 4 hours south of Oregon, up in the hills. Two completely and utterly different places to live and work. As a 15+ year aerospace welder with all kinds of certs and could take a job from start to finish (including machine work and CAD... not too many welder / machinists / designers that I've met), I topped out at 18/hr. Starting wages for any trades around here is $10-$12 / hr, pretty much across the board.

Move the shop to WY or MT. I'll quit my gig and you can hire me on for ......hmmmmm:scratchchin:.........$50-60/hr will do. :D

You have to survey market rate for your area for non union shops. I would expect that job would be worth $15-$30 an hour depending on location.

a good Setter, coordinating Lead Hand Machinist with some programming in a busy western Canada CNC shop, up to and over $30 an hour. Any less and they will look elsewhere. Above mid-$30s wouldn't be unheard of once settled in for a few years.

Depending in your benefits, most good guys I know wouldn't touch that job for less than 25-30 an hour, but I also don't know your cost of living.

$4K for 24 hours a week( tuesday thru thursday), 6 weeks of vacation annually, only when the shop is busy, and free health insurance/ 401k match / and a company vehicle....

oops, got caught up in auction mode. Honestly looking at $25+ but firsts you gotta make sure your new guy can deliver,,,, on your own there.

Back