What's new
What's new

Need help with calculating tool nose compensation

OmriOhayon

Plastic
Hey guys, Im writing a CNC program (not a g-code) for a lathe machine and im having some trouble with calculating the tool radius compensation needed for arc cutting.
When the arc angle is 90 degrees there's no problem, the problem is when i want to cut an arc that is less than that.
Are there any formulas for calculating the compensation needed with dependece on the tool radius and the arc radius?

Thanks!

Yes I know that, Im asking if there is some chart or something of general formulas that have dependencies on the tool radius and the wanted arc radius..

Thanks for replying.

Yes I know that, Im asking if there is some chart or something of general formulas that have dependencies on the tool radius and the wanted arc radius..

Thanks for replying.

For outside corners you add the tool radius to the desired radius and for inside corners you subtract the tool radius from the desired radius. This holds true for all radius compensation.

I suspect this is not really what your question is though. Are you looking for how to calculate the X and Z coordinates of the end point of a radius that spans less than 90 degrees?

You need.... The start and end points for the arc? Pick them out on cad. Otherwise, that's chordal geometry? Didn't machinery handbook have tables long ago? Pre calculator days.

The original post states he is writing a program (not G-code).
Possibly it’s a macro for something where radius and/or angle changes and he’s looking for some formula to work into the macro?

Back