What's new
What's new

Need Help Fanuc 21i-T Memory Storage PCMCIA Card

riseandgrind

Cast Iron
Like the title says, I have a 1997 Takisawa CNC Lathe with a Fanuc 21i-T
I am out of memory on the machine. Blows my mind that my 1993 HAAS has 10 times the amount of memory.

I currently create all my CAD/CAM files on my Laptop and transfer the .NC files to the controllers memory VIA my PCMCIA card slot. This has been a breeze, until I now no longer have memory.

I don't really want to DRIP feed programs from my laptop, and I have read how expensive memory upgrades are.

Solutions? - Well I figured I would just read my program directly from the PCMCIA card - Problem is I don't know how? I am trying to follow these instructions ( I have posted a Pic below)

Problem - Where the hell is a "Remote Key"
I know my controller can run programs Directly from the PCMCIA card, Im just confused in how?

Any Help? I posted my Controller and the Instructions for PCMCIA card direct read below.

I am not at work so I do not have my manual with all my notes here so let me know if you need help.

You access the card via the soft keys at the bottom of the display to tranfer programs to the control I am guessing? Dependant on your paramater settings it either accesses your card program as file names or numbers that the control has assigned to the card.

Write a program in your control to call the program in the card as a sub like this...

M198 P1 (where 1 is the program number)

What it does is it runs the program from your card and then returns to your program in your control so make sure to end the program in your control. Hope this helps.

Just curious, what did you do to use up the memory? In all my years I have never maxed the memory on a lathe from one program.

Just curious, what did you do to use up the memory? In all my years I have never maxed the memory on a lathe from one program.

I'm guessing he has stored LOADS of programs in the control that get used often. Last time I filled up a lathe memory it was on a OT-C and it was because of character amount spread over all my saved programs... which I ummmm rectified with a few (insert dodgy parameter #'s that can't be mentioned).

But I agree, on that 21 it should have loads of space.

Thanks, I will see if I can figure out the sub program thing.

Fanuc memory sucks. Im using CAD/CAM for most my parts, which doesn't always spit out very short codes. It has lots of BS in the G-Code not only uses canned cycles for drilling operations, so I have lots of lines of code. Don't have time right now to figure out the editor. I only have maybe 16 programs on the control memory

I am not at work so I do not have my manual with all my notes here so let me know if you need help.

You access the card via the soft keys at the bottom of the display to tranfer programs to the control I am guessing? Dependant on your paramater settings it either accesses your card program as file names or numbers that the control has assigned to the card.

Write a program in your control to call the program in the card as a sub like this...

M198 P1 (where 1 is the program number)

What it does is it runs the program from your card and then returns to your program in your control so make sure to end the program in your control. Hope this helps.

If I understand it would look something like this.

If I save the File as 1014 to the PCMCIA card, and use the soft keys and look at the file directory on the card, I will see File No:0021 File Name:1014

So should it look like this?

M198 P14
M30
%

OR

M198 P21
M0
%

If I understand it would look something like this.

If I save the File as 1014 to the PCMCIA card, and use the soft keys and look at the file directory on the card, I will see File No:0021 File Name:1014

So should it look like this?

M198 P14
M30
%

OR

M198 P21
M0
%

not quite,

M198 P1014

But I would try M198 P21 first. Most of the controls that I have helped guys with were setup like that.

Easiest is only load on program on the card and name it P2. The card will assign it P1. That way you will know which works.

But yes your structure is correct. I would even add in wherever you send your turret to in the main to be safe.

O0001
M198 P1
G28 U0.0 M9 (or whatever)
M5
M30

16 programs though??? Are you running a sub with live tooling?

not quite,

M198 P1014

But I would try M198 P21 first. Most of the controls that I have helped guys with were setup like that.

Easiest is only load on program on the card and name it P2. The card will assign it P1. That way you will know which works.

But yes your structure is correct. I would even add in wherever you send your turret to in the main to be safe.

O0001
M198 P1
M5
M30

Nope just a simple Gang Tool Style CNC Takisawa EX-106K

not quite,

M198 P1014

O0001
M198 P1
M5
M30

Ok, I tried

09999;
M198 P21;
M30
%

AND i TRIED
09999;
M198 P1014;
M30
%

I get

1022 MSTB SGNL are not completed Alarm?

Ive only used M98 as a subprogram for my bar puller, so this is new to me?

Why are you keeping 16 programs in the machine? I never saw any reason to do that when it takes no time flat to send and receive programs.

Ok, I tried

09999;
M198 P21;
M30
%

AND i TRIED
09999;
M198 P1014;
M30
%

I get

1022 MSTB SGNL are not completed Alarm?

Ive only used M98 as a subprogram for my bar puller, so this is new to me?

Is the bar puller sub within the program you are trying to call?

I am not too sure if it can jump from memory to card to memory to card again. Maybe try the puller sub in your main and then call your card sub?

So
O0001
P5000 M98 (bar puller)
M198 P1 (sub on card)
bla bla bla

Why are you keeping 16 programs in the machine? I never saw any reason to do that when it takes no time flat to send and receive programs.

I currently have over 40 programs on my Oi-T. But then again I finger cam my lathes and like to keep the tried and tested in their place in case I have a brain fart and put in a X10 instead of a X1.0

I currently have over 40 programs on my Oi-T. But then again I finger cam my lathes and like to keep the tried and tested in their place in case I have a brain fart and put in a X10 instead of a X1.0

I just program by copy and paste from old programs on a PC, send them to the machine, if I "finger cam" edit them I just send them back to the PC. With send and receive software basically free, and any old computer running windows 95 and up doing the trick, plus a cheap cable plugged in an RS-232 port, I don't understand upgrading memory or using drip feed just to use the controller as a file cabinet for storing programs.

I just program by copy and paste from old programs on a PC, send them to the machine, if I "finger cam" edit them I just send them back to the PC. With send and receive software basically free, and any old computer running windows 95 and up doing the trick, plus a cheap cable plugged in an RS-232 port, I don't understand upgrading memory or using drip feed just to use the controller as a file cabinet for storing programs.

Maybe if it is only you... But quite a bit different if you tell an operator to run P"10" and let it go ;)

Maybe if it is only you... But quite a bit different if you tell an operator to run P"10" and let it go ;)

Ha,ha. Been working alone so long I sometimes forget systems put in place because not everyone has good work habits and has a high level of competence.

Maybe I can't run a sub program, let alone a full program from the PCMCIA card.
I dont see a paramater 138.7

I on;y see 138 and it's set to all 0000000's

138#7 is for DNC operation through the memory card.
Check if 6030 contains either 0 or 198.
0020 should store 4.

138#7 is for DNC operation through the memory card.
Check if 6030 contains either 0 or 198.
0020 should store 4.

so is parameter 138.7 actually just parameter 138 and the seventh position over?
I know for fact 0020 is set to 4 (ISO)
Not sure of 6030

Well technically the 8th position over...

You count from right to left on 138 starting with zero.
so from right to left it is 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7

So according to the directions on my paperwork it states that 138.7 Needs to be a "1"
That could be the reason I am getting an error when trying to run the file via M198 correct?

Back