Need help getting a 1996 Torq Cut 22 up and running.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need help getting a 1996 Torq Cut 22 up and running.

Recently acquired this mill. Before the mill was moved out the previous owner went to boot it up and nothing came up. So not sure what the problem is there. Before I get to that I want to know about hooking it into power. Our supply is three phase with a 208V center leg. Does this leg need to be on a particular tap on the disconnect/ isolator?

I started a similar thread in the Bridgeport subforum and was directed here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180226_175638.jpg   20180226_175512.jpg   20180226_175503.jpg   20180226_175450.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What do you mean nothing comes up? You mean the PC powers up but the BOSS software does not load?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't know as I wasn't there the last time. I haven't hooked it up to power yet as I want to make certain I don't have to worry about the 208V leg being on something it shouldn't. I've fried stuff in the past making that mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have the manuals for it? They are pretty detailed .

I have the same machine and have it running on 220 single phase so not much help on your questions I'm afraid..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the incoming power, if your terminals in the machine are labeled L1, L2 and L3, I am fairly certain your center tapped 220 volt wires will go to L1 and L2 with the 208 leg to L3. The reason is your control circuits will be on the L1 and L2 terminals, the voltage for the controls and computer is fairly critical. They are this way on all my machines manual or CNC. Anyone with electrical experience feel free to correct me on this.
    In the Hardinge section you mentioned that the Monitor did not come one when powered up before you bought it? If so that could be the power supply for the motherboard or the mother board itself. Maybe a fuse for one or both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you saying you have a leg that is 208 volts to ground like the manufactured leg on a rotary phase converter?
    What Fred says is correct on every machine I have seen the control circuit runs on line 1 and or 2 so they are the most sensitive to voltages that are out of spec. For that reason if you have a high leg put it on line 3, then if you are out of phase (motor rotating backward) swap lines 1 and 2. Just curious is that your camera or did the CRT and keyboard get baked in the oven? They look like they are warped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by inwoodcutter View Post
    Recently acquired this mill. Before the mill was moved out the previous owner went to boot it up and nothing came up. So not sure what the problem is there. Before I get to that I want to know about hooking it into power. Our supply is three phase with a 208V center leg. Does this leg need to be on a particular tap on the disconnect/ isolator?

I started a similar thread in the Bridgeport subforum and was directed here.
    Darn looks like that mach. could use a bit of TLC, however if the 22 powers up it could be as simple as the monitor screen switch may be in the off position. If not and it will power up you may just need a new monitor, If you can't get a boot up may be time to call a tech and have them do some trouble shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny L C View Post
    If you can't get a boot up may be time to call a tech and have them do some trouble shooting.
    The smart thing would be to exhaust his resources here. First even if that machine was up and running it would not be worth much, so it would be wise to throw as little money as possible at it. You list California as location, if that would be around a population center in So Cal you probably could get an independent tech for a two hour minimum and no drive time. Where the OP is at that likely isn't the case, for an example where I am at 45 miles from the capitol of Virginia a service call before the clock runs is $1200 and that gets you the village idiot of service techs. On many a machine a service tech is not magic, on a dead machine they are going to go through the same initial steps anyone here can be walked through who owns a multi-meter, a can of contact cleaner and compressed air.

90% of the time a dead or alarmed out machine is a simple fix, blown fuse, tripped breaker, dirty or loose connection, dirty proximity switch, circuit board needing reseated, etc,etc. Do need to pay someone a service call fee and north of $100 an hour to fix those problems.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good news. We hooked it up to power. After the prompts here and carefully reviewing the wiring diagrams we put the 208V leg on L3. Now we get the monitor to the point pictured which the previous owner says is farther than he got the last time.

Now what should it be doing and how long should it take?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180306_173155.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It should load the control software, takes a few seconds. You may have a hard drive issue.

11. Likes macds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the above,
    Being stuck at updating escd could also be from a dead pc battery. Looks like its recognized the HDD from that pic.
    You might actually benefit at this point from having someone familiar with old 486 desktops help you out with checking bios settings, etc.

First item from a quick google search ---------> VOGONS • View topic - 486 stuck at Updating ESCD...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine has a dead motherboard battery that I have yet to replace. Still starts and run normaly after telling it to load default bios settings.

What I would look at first is loose or dirty connections.

Second I would look at the capacitors on the motherboards. Mine has several that are suspect with swollen tops... I have replacements ready just no time to pull the board and replace them..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had the local computer guru come by and take a look at it. After some troubleshooting he's thinking the motherboard is bad. He tried pulling hard drives and boards to force it to show a different error.