What's new
What's new

Need help, looking at a new VMC.... OKK, Mori, Toyoda, Johnford

Nseals5

Plastic
Hey guys, we're currently looking at a new VMC, 60"x30" range, cat50 spindle with box ways. We have looked at OKK vm76r, Mori NVX 7000, Toyoda FV1680, and Johnford SV 60H. I know OKK and Mori are made in Japan and Toyoda and Johnford are made in Taiwan and I know everyone has their own opinions on that but were just looking for people who have experience with any of these machines/ brands.

We are a job shop that just does general machining, the tightest tolerance we would ever need to hold would be .0005, our main issue is we do alot of work with tough mat'l like AR500 and AR600 (50-55Rc) so we need a good rigid machine. Each manufacturer has quoted high hp and high torque spindles with Fanuc controls. The support for all machines seem to be pretty decent and fairly local. Obviously the Mori is super expensive, the OKK is a little cheaper, then the Toyoda, and the Johnford is the least expensive. OKK has made a very attractive offer and Toyoda is very competitive as well.

So the main question is does anyone have experience with these brands/ models, if so what are your thoughts, any issues, pros cons etc. Are Japanese machines worth the extra $$??

Thanks for all your help!!!

We went with an Okuma Millac 761. cat50 dual contact, hp coolant, box way, high torque osp-p300M. I would guess the toyoda and okk are similar price class. I am super impressed with the millac. Beast of a machine. Get ahold of your okuma rep before you buy.

I've used an OKK in a school environment since 1983 and it has been fabulously reliable.
The local Bombardier plant has similar OKK's since 1986 and they have run continuously in an industrial environment for 30+ years. I can't comment on the other machines as I have no experience with them, but will put in a good word for OKK.

The Yama-Seiki BM series are virtually identical to the Toyoda. Awea was actually making the mills for Toyoda until roughly 8-10 years ago. So if there's local support check out a BM-1600. YAMA SEIKI

[h=2]OKK, Mori, Toyoda, Johnford[/h]

The old skewl Sesame Street street game/song comes to mind with this title...

"One of these things just doesn't belong here. Can you tell which one?"

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I would run far away from a johnford. Ran a bridge mill that was nothing but trouble. Sorry designed and built. Grease packed upper spindle that would sling the grease right out of the bearings because there was zero shield keeping them from slinging it out. Seems we had to replace the bearings once or twice a year. Leaked oil out of the spindle cartridge like crazy. Used way oil like no other. Scrambled tool magazine data randomly after hanging tool changer. Takes a solid 8 hrs to change spindle belt. Would wad up the chip auger on a regular basis. It was constantly something. I bet they spent $100k in the 6 years I worked there on crap like that.

Back