What's new
What's new

Need help with machining a part

gear cutter

Cast Iron
I am having trouble machining some parts from 304SS. The part is 1.062 OD X 2.06 inches long. I need to machine a bore .875 ID X 1.875 deep with a boss at the bottom of the bore at the bore center. The boss is .280 OD X .437 long. I have drilled and bored to the finish ID up to the face of the boss. Then i have tried to mill the material away around the ID of the bore and the OD of the boss. I am not doing something right here. All I am doing is breaking endmills. I am machining the parts on a Okuma Genos L 200 M with live tooling. The endmills are accupro .250 OD with .500 flute length and factory relieved shank. I have 100 of these to do. Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you. Tim

feeds, speeds, doc, are the endmills coated/uncoated, how many flutes? Try starting around 150sfm and .001 chipload.

Feed, speed, chip load per tooth, direction of cut, ridged holding of part and set-up, quality of holding cutter, rotation direction of cutter, quality sharpening of cutter, chip load and removal of chips, cutter bumping other than part, coolant missing job, chatter or vibration, spindle bad, bump in rapid, program error, decimal point wrong.

Feed, speed, chip load per tooth, direction of cut, ridged holding of part and set-up, quality of holding cutter, rotation direction of cutter, quality sharpening of cutter, chip load and removal of chips, cutter bumping other than part, coolant missing job, chatter or vibration, spindle bad.

150 SFM 3IPM. Ihave tried to cut that by 50% no luck. Part is rigid, holding flush with soft jaws.

cant drill a blind hole and use bar stock for the boss?
How deep are you trying to go? Instead of doing the full .437, do more passes at .1 or .05, whatever is going to work.?

Instead of milling, Just remove most of the material by plunging with your end mill.

Just take a finish pass after that.

Your end mill break because all the chips get stuck at the bottom.

Jeff

Instead of milling, Just remove most of the material by plunging with your end mill.

Just take a finish pass after that.

Your end mill break because all the chips get stuck at the bottom.

Jeff

I have thought about drilling holes around the boss and then milling. The only problem is I only have 1 live tool holder to work with.

cant drill a blind hole and use bar stock for the boss?
How deep are you trying to go? Instead of doing the full .437, do more passes at .1 or .05, whatever is going to work.?

Customer said no. They want the part machined from one solid piece.

Can you helical ramp it down at 2-5 degrees (c rotation), on the center line the come back and do the same thing for the od of the boss and the id of the part. Get coolant in there to flush out the chips.

A custom cutter styled after a rotabroach? .875 endmill with the center missing.

I like that idea! Iscar may make a face grooving tool to do it, sometimes if I'm in a hurry and need to just get it done I'll go old school for short run jobs like this and get out a chunk of HSS and make my own grooving tool, run it at 20 FPM with coolant and it works fine if you know how to properly grind it.

Any chance the end mill shank above the cut is interfering with part side or pinching chips between cutter shank and part side? Perhaps .030 reduced diameter shank above flute length.

You said...
"The endmills are accupro .250 OD with .500 flute length and factory relieved shank" That sounds like you should be clearing any shank problem.

*or coolant pressure or direction of coolant not flushing out chips.

Back