What's new
What's new

Need help setting up and using matsuura/yasnac mill

vegard

Aluminum
I am going to be running a matsuura MC 510, 1986 model with a yasnac controller.

picture from google

The machine had been moved to a new shop and never wired in. I wired it up today, and I will power it up on monday. From what I gather, the machine is in perfect condition, with only a couple hundred hours on it (the paint, even inside is still in great shape...)

Basically, I need to figure out how to use the yasnac controller, and how to send programs to it.

I have a laptop with Mastercam 9.1, which I would like to use. The machine has a large serial port (like printers). What kind of adapter do I need to connect it to my laptop (no serial, only USB). I am working at the University of MAryland, part time, making parts for the SAE-competition race cars, so we are working on a budget.

I have lots of experience with Fanuc (6m and 11m). How does yasnac compare? And maybe someone has a sample program that I could look at as a reference.

Thanks in advance, and Ill keep this thread updated with results and questions, and maybe post some pics once I make some parts.

- Vegard

Thanks for the reply, I have tons of 6m programs to look at, and your website is a good one. That is good news that they are similar. You said almost identical... whats the difference?

Thanks.

- Vegard

You can get a USB to serial (rs232) converter and software. Then a null modem adaptor then an RS232 cable to the machine. Set it up 7 even 1 at both ends....I think my 510 would transmit at 9700 baud. That needs to be the same at both ends. You will need to set up the port and the cimco the same as well
Hope this helps

On the older Yasnac:
The cutter comp is the same, so are all the drill cycles, G-Codes and regular programming.
The G54-G59 input looks a little different on the screen but is used the same.
They had a couple of extra cycles, a G12(CW) and G13(CCW) for milling complete circles.
If I actually saw the control. I could tell you more, but it was nothing real important.
By the way, Yaskawa Electric is outside Chicago, theyt would have manuals.
What is the control, I might have some.
Heinz.
Heinz.

PBMW, that is exactly what I needed to know. I will hpost follow up questions on monday when I try to do it. Heinz, Thanks. I guess I can just use the same posts as I used for the 6m. well, PBMW you wouldnt happen to have a Mcam post for that machine would you?

Thank you everyone.

- Vegard

Most likely I do.
What version Mastercam are you using. I have posts back to version 5 I think. Also is that an MX2 or an MX3 control?

The control is an mx3. I would really apprechiate it if you had a post you would share. You can email it to [email protected] I am waiting for my usb to rs232 adapter to come in, I ordered it from newegg, it should be here tomorrow. (comp USA wanted 39.99, newegg wanted 8.99). I did make a cable to connect to the machine according to this website: http://www.i-logic.com/serial/wiring.htm#Using%20DB9

I looked at some documentation for the control, it pretty much looks like everything is the same as fanuc.
Thanks for all the help.

- Vegard

I run a 1993 Matsuura RAII F with Yasnak I-80 controller every day of the week...

I dont know how close an I-80 is to what you are using...

But if its close, and you get stuck, i will try my best to help you...

Good luck

PS : Matsuuras' are GREAT machines!!!
You are gonna love it...

Thanks Solar. today I got the machine up and running. The only problem is that the tool changer doesnt work. when it tries to flip the tools down off teh carousel, they dont make it all the way down. I think this is a problem with the air solenoid not allowing enough pressure through.

when the arm swung around, it hit the partially flipped down tool and stopped, and then dropped the tool in the spindle onto the table. Fun huh. I will troubleshoot this tomorrow.

Hmmm...

On our lathe, we have a solenoid for our parts catcher...

Once, too much water collected in the air line, and filled up the water catcher cup...

So the water went into the solenoid and the parts catcher would only go up about 70-80% of the way, and it would get stuck on the way back down as well... stoping at about 20-30%

We opened the side of the solenoid compartment, and manually pushed the parts catcher arm up and down... And that acctually pumped the water out of the solenoid...

Now its been working without problem for 6 months...

Hopefully your problem is that simple...

Good luck...

PS : when the carousel rotates that 90 degrees downward for the arm to grab it, there should be a contact switch it needs to trigger before the arm will do its thing...

If the tool does not swing down all the way, the machine should give you an alarm...

Im suprised it acctually went ahead with the arm swing... hmmm...

good luck

OK, I have some problems. I hope you guys can help me. BTW this machine is for the use of the University of MD racing program where we build race cars (on and offroad), and we are working on a tight budget. I have everything on the machine running except for the tool changer. After my arm swinging-tool dropping catastrophe, I get error #424 Tool table error. The manual says to return the tool change arm to the home position manually, the reset and the alarm should be cancelled. It did not cancel when I returned it manually. I opened the front cover and the limit switches are working perfect.

I am thinking that maybe a fuse or breaker has blown since the ATC arm was basically jammmed. I couldnt find anything in the control box. Maybe someone can tell me where to look. Also, I wonder if anyone knows who I can call for technical support on this issue.

Thanks,

- Vegard

Tool table error...

First step is to remove the cover to the manual return nub...

Once you rotate that and get the arm to the home position, you are done with the arm...

Now, you need to reset the tool table...

I dont think it has anything to do with a fuse...

Look in your manual, it should have a section about reseting the tool table...

Whatever number the tool was that you called to go into the spindle, lets say tool 11...

You call T11 M6
CRASH!!!
Tool falls down...

You pick it up...

Now in the tool table, you should goto pocket 20 or 21 and set it to tool 11...

On my machine we have 20 tool pockets, and 21 is ussually whichever tool is in the spindle...

You might have to go into the parameter screen, and set parameter 109 to 1 instead of 0, This allows you to reset the tool table...

If this is not clear enough for you, i will look it up once im across the street... (where the mill and manuals are)

I have had to fix the tool table twice...
Both time i had a mid tool change E-stop...

Anyway, its not a big deal... Takes only a few minutes...

PS : if you find parameter 109 and switch it to 1, you will need to change it back to a 0 before the machine will work again...

PSS : your machine is a bit older then mine so some of this information may be wrong...
But try it out and let me know... I will check back in this forum ever couple of hours...

Good luck

Solar, you are spot on. I did all that stuff. I also determined that the solenoid for the air piston is the problem, and I have a new one on order.

today I also got my laptop hooked up and sendt some programs so that stuff is working. I might do some simple parts by just manually changing tools, while waiting for the solenoid to come in. Also it looks like I may be back to running some nice big kitamuras also for a while, I havent been machining for a few weeks, I need to make some chips soon before I go crazy. Thanks everyone.

- Vegard

Yasnac and Fanuc controls on the Matsuura CNC's are very similar and pretty simple to operate, once you get the hang of it. Some time ago, I ran 3 twin spindle Matsuura's and of those 2, they had Yasnac controls, red and a darkish green color. Course, they were the older models. Good luck!

Hey Solar71 tried to send you a message but your inbox is full.

I run a 1993 Matsuura RAII F with Yasnak I-80 controller every day of the week...

I dont know how close an I-80 is to what you are using...

But if its close, and you get stuck, i will try my best to help you...

Good luck

PS : Matsuuras' are GREAT machines!!!
You are gonna love it...

I just purchased a Matsuura and could use a compadre. My machine is a MAM700 with Yasnac I-80 controller. Any advice or help would be appreciated. With Pizza or Beer!

We just purchased a 1995 Matsuura mill with an I 80 control. I am not familiar with it and need to learn how to set tools, set xyz, and load programs into it. So far I can get the machine homed but that's about it. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Scott Shiflett True Precision Machining

Back