What's new
What's new

NEED A HITACHI SEIKI HC400-40 TECHNICIAN!!!! Spindle bearings

static99899

Plastic
We've got a mid 1980's Hitachi Seiki HC400-40 horizontal that the spindle bearings just died in again. We've had the same tech come out for this same machine 3 times now and every time he fails to get it sealed up properly and coolant is getting to the bearings and eating them alive. We're located in the DFW, Texas area. 35 miles west of Fort Worth to be exact and would like to try someone else if possible. If anyone knows of someone that'll work on these older machines, we'd sure appreciate getting to know them. Please let me know asap! Thanks guys...

Is it a cartridge? Is he doing the work on site in a dirty enviornment?

Not a cartridge, or we would just send it out for repair. The spindle comes out of the nose casting and all of the outer races of the bearings are exposed at this point. As for the cleanliness of environment, he's been doing to bearing swap in our inspection room which is the cleanest place in the shop. So I don't think that's it. I honestly think the o-ring seals are what are getting installed improperly and causing our issue. We would do it ourselves if we knew where to get all of the parts we need.

How do you install an O ring improperly? Maybe the surfaces that the O ring are supposed to seal are scored/chewed up? Wesley Seals in Euless might be able to help you with seals.

These o-rings are more like the lip seal o-rings on hydraulic rams. If you don't lubricate them correctly or just smash them in rather than fines, then you end up with seals that leak. And we're looking for a tech so we don't HAVE to do it ourselves. We could hunt down all the parts and could do the work but we'd rather pay someone who knows all to do this for us....

As for the cleanliness of environment, he's been doing to bearing swap in our inspection room which is the cleanest place in the shop.

This bearing "swap". Is there a few hours measuring and metrology involved, and subsequent grinding or lapping of several components to get the required retention of the bearings?

I've had customers with those dinosaurs. There is no seal running against the spindle, it's a non contact Labyrinth seal over the spindle nose.

I'd predict he has a hot running spindle, that is pulling in Coolant mist at the end of shift when it cools down.

Regards Phil.

Back