What's new
What's new

Need info on Hurco bmc 2416

Ewindward

Plastic
Looking at purchasing a good condition 2000 Hurco BMC 2416 with the ultimax ssm control but I cant find much info on these machines or the controller in particular. I have seen it under power and it is functioning properly and the price is right. My only issue Is I do not know how to use the Hurco control at all and the info on the ultimax ssm is hard to come across online. Can anyone tell me what to expect from this control? can I load g code to this machine over rs232 or some other means? The current owner is about as familiar with the machine as I am, so hes not much of a help in that aspect. Any thing you guys can tell me would be very greatly appreciated.

I haven't personally used an SSM control, so take whatever I say about it as possibly incorrect. I am familiar with Hurco controls otherwise.

Firstly, IIRC it's an acronym for "Single Screen Max", and is basically the same as whatever equivalent ultimax/winmax control of the same age, just doesn't have a separate screen for graphics so you have to switch between them.

With that in mind, it almost certainly can run some variant of gcode* and will have rs232, maybe even ethernet which I think was an option at that time.

Year 2000 puts it in the Ultimax 4 era, which is a relatively modern dos pc based control, so there is likely a decent amount of memory and a hard drive, so you shouldn't be running up against memory constraints like you would be with a similar aged Fanuc for example.

*There is effectively two gcode modes on the Hurco, BNC (Basic NC) and ISNC (Industry Standard NC). The latter is effectively a Fanuc M control compatible system, but it is/was an option. BNC was first implemented on early Hurco controls in the '80's as a means to run cam generated programs on the Hurco control. It has no programming aids/shortcuts/advanced cycles and is not intended for hand programming, and some of the codes and conventions might be a little different to what you are used to. It's perfectly functional with a good post however.

Back