Need pointers for drilling ETD150 - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Looking back at the original post I would say your feeds and speeds are a little on the aggressive side, at least once you start getting deep. A 0.050" peck wouldn't be unreasonable IMO. If your cam wont output code that decreases pecking just write a few drilling cycles with the start plane a smidge about the last bottom plane.

IIRC ETD150 is going to machine essentially the same as 4150 Q&T. That being said you might try slowing your SFM a bit, especially once you start getting deep. And don't wait for the drills to get dull, touch them up often to keep them sharp!
    I can certainly do that.

Funny thing is that I ran 5 of these about 2 wks ago, from the same material (different bar), and it went smoothly.

As far as using the wrong tool for the job, I don't agree with that. A VMC isn't the ideal tool for drilling concentric holes in rods, but a lathe isn't the ideal tool for the other features in the part. At the end of the day, I gotta work with what I have until I find the right lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reduced speed to 65sfm, feed to .004"ipr and the drill lived through #21 with some touching up with a stone.

I did learn how to setup my surface grind to touch up drills, too. It's not a full radial relief, just facets more akin to an end mill but it works.

3. Likes Hardplates liked this post