What's new
What's new

Need some direction for drilling holes in plates.

Mule Magoo

Plastic
I am new to the CNC world so I would appreciate any guidance you can give. I need to drill hundreds of base plate and short WF Beams. The plates would have four 1-1/16" holes through a 12x12x1-1/8 plasma cut plate. The WF beams are W6x20x31" that would need 6 13/16 holes through the one side. We are currently doing this with mag drills and its very time consuming. Would a HAAS VF4SS with chip blaster, through spindle coolant and pallet changer, do what I need to do and replace the mag drill? Or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, maybe. The Haas will certainly handle the hole sizes with a short insert drill, but given the light duty nature of the Haas spindle you might want to budget for a replacement if an accident occurs.

Using a pallet changer on the beam may work, but you'd have to be certain the transport envelope isn't violated by the 31" length. Presuming the holes are on the ends of the beam, you should also make sure the "overturning force" on the pallet doesn't exceed its capacity (the pallet's not 30" plus in size).

VF4SS will hold 4 of those plates at a time if fixtured properly. Load, push button, do something else. Like deburr the bottom, or why not program that on the machine as well. Fixture can be fairly simple and needs some space under it for chips and punch through.

allied makes ta inserts just for structural shapes. Gen 2 is significantly cheaper than gen 3- and your hole count does not warrant the the gen 3. These run slower than other inserts, but can take some of the vibration from never getting a rigid set up on beams.

Plates are just base plates, 4 holes and done. I would punch those if I just had a few, but if you are having them plasma cut just have the holes burned in. Tru hole works fine when you are just under the 1::1 relationship. 1 1/8 plate? that has got to cost a fortune. is it 1 1/4 ground down or UM plate saw/sheared?

You say hundreds, maybe find a structural shop with a drill line or coper for the beams. base plates are going to go really fast once you find a decent routine. - they are back braking to do individually so be aware of that.

Wouldn't even need the chip blaster. Haas' basic 300psi TSC pump will easily handle indexable drills in the 1" size range. 1000 psi coolant is for small tooling.

Wouldn't need an SS model either for this specific job, though you may benefit from it on future jobs (maybe).

Back