What's new
What's new

New clear Blaser Synergy 735 coolant?

Lazyman

Aluminum
Has anyone tried the new Synergy coolant? I'm considering switching from Qualichem to this stuff as I'm looking for stuff that has less odor and less issues on the skin. Being clear like water would also be very nice.

Has anyone tried the new Synergy coolant? I'm considering switching from Qualichem to this stuff as I'm looking for stuff that has less odor and less issues on the skin. Being clear like water would also be very nice.

I've been using it for a few weeks after getting my new (to me) Fadal set up and I really like it so far. I did go out of my way to get RO water, which wasn't very hard as I was able to buy a couple 35 gallon drums on Craigslist and have a place local that I purchased the water for $15. I'm really happy with it and see no reason to change. Silly as it sounds, it is nice having clear coolant. I don't run my machine every day and the other thing I really like is it doesn't seem to separate or leave a nasty film or deposit when the remaining coolant sits on the table and vises. I would definitely recommend it, but it's not cheap. 5 gallons is over $200, but I don't use that much so the cost isn't that big of a deal to me in the scheme of supplies.

I was running Qualichem before and used it up before I sold my last machine. I didn't switch for any reason other than to try it out and had nothing bad about the performance of the Qualichem, but I definitely prefer the Blaser so far.

I'm also interested in this, sounds great if it lives up to the claims.

Have you seen any rust issues as of yet, places the coolant gets trapped underneath and can't dry? How is lubricity? These are two things that traditional full synthetics didn't do well in.

I've been using it for a few weeks after getting my new (to me) Fadal set up and I really like it so far. I did go out of my way to get RO water, which wasn't very hard as I was able to buy a couple 35 gallon drums on Craigslist and have a place local that I purchased the water for $15. I'm really happy with it and see no reason to change. Silly as it sounds, it is nice having clear coolant. I don't run my machine every day and the other thing I really like is it doesn't seem to separate or leave a nasty film or deposit when the remaining coolant sits on the table and vises. I would definitely recommend it, but it's not cheap. 5 gallons is over $200, but I don't use that much so the cost isn't that big of a deal to me in the scheme of supplies.

I was running Qualichem before and used it up before I sold my last machine. I didn't switch for any reason other than to try it out and had nothing bad about the performance of the Qualichem, but I definitely prefer the Blaser so far.

Thanks for the reply. The price at $200 seems reasonable if it truly performs. It's in the same range as Qualichem extremecut 250c. The performance of Qualichem was not an issue for me, but I did start to get some staining on my table which is more likely to be the water quality and poor maintenance than anything. I'm trying to find something with less odor as I have a tiny shop and having less of that oily film would be very nice. I also would definitely like the clear coolant so I can see whats going on a lot easier. I personally hate dealing with coolant. The extra money to preserve the machine is worth it to me as the machine can sit for a while. Perhaps if I was running through a bunch of coolant I would be more concerned about the price.

I'm also interested in this, sounds great if it lives up to the claims.

Have you seen any rust issues as of yet, places the coolant gets trapped underneath and can't dry? How is lubricity? These are two things that traditional full synthetics didn't do well in.

No rust issues yet, it actually seems really good, even when the machine sits for a few days. When I was using Qualichem (290, I think), the oil would separate out when it would start to dry. Granted, my setup isn't the same, I've added filtration, a NexJen skimmer and I'm aerating the coolant with a fish bubbler now. I plan on this as a long term setup, so I bought a few things to try and keep the coolant as nice as possible. Lubricity seems fine, I've been rigid tapping quite a bit, down to 4-40. I'm not a full time machine shop, so keep that in mind. The machine is in my garage.

How about smell when it starts evaporating due to heat from cutting?

No problem with smell, but I also have the machine enclosed with a MistAway...

Thanks for the reply. The price at $200 seems reasonable if it truly performs. It's in the same range as Qualichem extremecut 250c. The performance of Qualichem was not an issue for me, but I did start to get some staining on my table which is more likely to be the water quality and poor maintenance than anything. I'm trying to find something with less odor as I have a tiny shop and having less of that oily film would be very nice. I also would definitely like the clear coolant so I can see whats going on a lot easier. I personally hate dealing with coolant. The extra money to preserve the machine is worth it to me as the machine can sit for a while. Perhaps if I was running through a bunch of coolant I would be more concerned about the price.

I'm in a similar position. The price doesn't really bother me since I don't use that much of it. The Qualichem did separate and leave residue everywhere, but, like you said, I was just using tap water (ours is really hard) and not really maintaining the coolant to what I could have. I went all out with my new machine, cleaned everything beforehand, ran MetKleen through it, re-flushed it and then charged with the Blaser. That, along with having all the upgrades. I'm a month in or so and it looks good as new still.

We have been using it for a few months now. Changed over because of skin irritation issues for a new employee.

Started using it in a couple mazak verticals and it worked just fine. To really test it out we put it in our two brother machines to see how it handled tapping. It has been there for two months with no issues.

We now have it in 15 machines with no issues. No smell or rust issues. But we are full time shop running two shifts six days a week so there isnt much time spent sitting.

One thing we did notice, is when you are switching coolants, you have to get every last drop of the old coolant out or the synergy will become cloudy.

Yea I would suggest cleaning it out, then mixing up a light solution maybe 1-2% and just washing everything and letting it run through the machine for maybe like an hour. Then empty and re charge with new desired concentration.

One thing we did notice, is when you are switching coolants, you have to get every last drop of the old coolant out or the synergy will become cloudy.

Mneuro, can you tell us your process to make sure it was absolutely clean?

I think the best way is to run MetKleen or something similar to flush everything. Then run a low concentration of new stuff, then flush and charge with desired concentration. Wash down everything and hit with a brush in between steps.

Kazlx is right on with how we did. Of course this was after we screwed up a couple times and learned our lesson.

I know know what cleaner we used, but we drained the machine. Washed everything down with a cleaner. Drained that all out. Ran a low concentration mixture, probably less than %2. Then added fully mixed coolant.

Things we initially took for granted and ended up biting us:
1) Run coolant thru the spindle twice as long as you think you need too. Lots of coolant in the little lines.
2) Took much longer than a normal coolant change. More than twice as long to get all the nooks and crannies clean.
3) The mist collector has coolant in it that can drip back into the machine. Make sure this gets cleaned as well.

I am in the exact same boat. Titan Gilroy swears by it. I asked him personally on the last day of IMTS this year. I have had skin irritaion from other coolants in the past but qualichem has given me no issues. It does tend to separate a little and it's milky like many other coolants. I really like the transparent nature of the synergy 735.

Has anyone ever had foaming issues with it? I plan to use a lot TSC fairly often

I've also been looking at switching to this stuff. What prices are you guys paying? The only distributor for me wants 250 dollars for a 5 gallon bucket, I would need 2 of those for my machine. The coolant I'm using now is half the price.

In the big scheme of things, coolant is a tiny cost if managed well. I would definitely pay extra for clear coolant. Seems way easier to inspect sumps.

Typet purly on my fone.

It seems as though this is a hot topic right now. The Business of Machining podcast just brought up the Synergy 735 as well. I guess Titan Gilroy is one of the only guys using it that are publicly endorsing it. Does anyone else use this stuff?

It seems as though this is a hot topic right now. The Business of Machining podcast just brought up the Synergy 735 as well. I guess Titan Gilroy is one of the only guys using it that are publicly endorsing it. Does anyone else use this stuff?

I get the feeling lots of guys here will have no idea about the podcast. Titan appears to be an actual brand ambassador for synergy as his pictures were all over it at IMTS Blaser booth. I recently read someone was having an issue with it building up some kind of wax and clogging stuff up, but it could also be a problem with the water or something else too.

So how does this stuff actually work as far as checking on the sump?

I know it isn't 100% clear, but is it clear enough that you can pop the chip pan off and see just how much junk is collected in the bottom of the tank?

Back