New Haas Desktop CNC Mill, surely some mistake? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by evotechcorp View Post
    It looks like they are going after a specific market since the control comes with programs pre-installed to finish machine 80% firearm receivers. Not a bad idea to try and get a piece of a $52 billion dollar industry but unfortunately the AR15 market is already saturated so I guess the clients will be home gunsmiths or dreamers that think they can still introduce a new needle to the haystack...
    The guy says in the video the machine is only for plastics and machinable wax, so no finishing receivers even if you can fit them in the work area. And as for programs already loaded - surely there won't be anything gun-specific, their lawyers would never allow it.

2. Likes Kevin Wilkins, DanielG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by evotechcorp View Post
    It looks like they are going after a specific market since the control comes with programs pre-installed to finish machine 80% firearm receivers. Not a bad idea to try and get a piece of a $52 billion dollar industry but unfortunately the AR15 market is already saturated so I guess the clients will be home gunsmiths or dreamers that think they can still introduce a new needle to the haystack...
    WTF are you talking about? Do you have a reference that says these come with pre loaded programs to finish AR lowers? That's questionably legal. I would be willing to bet Haas would NEVER give that away, even if it weren't questionable.

R

4. Likes empwoer, Kevin Wilkins liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Do you have a reference that says these come with pre loaded programs to finish AR lowers? That's questionably legal. I would be willing to bet Haas would NEVER give that away, even if it weren't questionable.

R
    agreed, that sounds like a bunch of balloney

6. Likes Kevin Wilkins, DanielG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    In some ways it doesn't matter. Even if it's all Haas designed and built, the actual capacity seems oddly minimal when you consider concept and cost. Yes, I get that it could be attractive to schools, but the same basic package, with just ~$1k more in proper hardware could actually be useful and cut at least Al, not just plastics and such. No tool changer needed (although it would be nice), just materials and beef enough to stiffen the design, and provide a little more Z.
    I think making a better machine would be counterproductive for them, for a number of reasons:

1) A school can buy a minimill education version for $21k if the goal is producing machined parts and not training.

2) $1k more in hardware is >>$1k more in sale price. Being able to buy more machines is going to get more training done than having a slightly more capable machine.

3) Even beefed up a little bit as you suggest, it's not going to be a great machine. As it stands now, it is clearly a training machine, not a production machine. If they beef it up a little bit and make it a not-very-good production machine, now they are producing a not-very-good machine, as opposed to a good training machine. A bunch of people in their garages/basements would buy the Haas desktop machines and I don't think it would be good for Haas' reputation.

8. Likes mhajicek, Kevin Wilkins liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    agreed, that sounds like a bunch of balloney
    Yeah, no sane lawyer at Haas would allow that, nor would any sane school or college buy one if it did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ONLY mistake would be if it didn't run the same control/software.