What's new
What's new

New Haas Vertical With A Build In Pallet Changer - VC400

So all the size, weight, complexity, and expense of an HMC, but without the benefits of an intrinsic 4th axis, nor the rigidity of spindle in-line with the structure.

Though, I guess Haas has modularized their entire kit of parts to the point where they can bang out niche machines like this. I am sure there are some weirdo applications where this beast makes sense?

I saw it yesterday, too. I would get a horizontal if I was going to spend that kind of money.

It's just a VF4 with a pallet changer slapped on its face.

So all the size, weight, complexity, and expense of an HMC, but without the benefits of an intrinsic 4th axis, nor the rigidity of spindle in-line with the structure.

Though, I guess Haas has modularized their entire kit of parts to the point where they can bang out niche machines like this. I am sure there are some weirdo applications where this beast makes sense?

I think you nailed it Greg. They have everything available and people do buy brothers, kitamuras, and more like it, so why not throw one together. Plus I'm sure they can sell it to some folks as a step towards a horizontal. Use all your existing programs, just keep the spindle running longer.

seems like a larger version of the old mdc-500 those weren't a huge hit but people bought them...seems like a large footprint for a smallish pallet changer...

Weird concept.

Seems like everything this could do, the EC400 would do better. Unless you don't do well with gravity?

But why not? They already have all the parts. Just slap a VF2 headstock on the EC400 and their 30/50-pot toolchanger? I guess someone might buy it.

On a completely serious note, I have wondered why no one has made an inverted spindle MC.
It would be like a horizontal tipped on its back with the chip conveyor directly below the spindle
and the tombstone above it. The chips would fall out of a hole when drilling and there would be
no chip buildup on the part or fixturing. Maybe we could get Grob or Hermle to make a sample.... :D

About the same price as "3" vf1 mills and more than double the price of "2" VF2ss mills ,,, I like Haas but someone would have to be nuts to order one ,,, a lot of other builders are already in the same game with out a lot of buyers in that market ,, I think Haas had a good idea before with there EC-300 but they made is so crappy no one wanted them ,, Hell even my Haas salesman told me not to buy one.

On a completely serious note, I have wondered why no one has made an inverted spindle MC.
It would be like a horizontal tipped on its back with the chip conveyor directly below the spindle
and the tombstone above it. The chips would fall out of a hole when drilling and there would be
no chip buildup on the part or fixturing. Maybe we could get Grob or Hermle to make a sample.... :D

Probably due to chips falling into the spindle taper during toolchange.

Edit:
Make it a five axis with the spindle rotating in the YZ plane, so it can flip over and toolchange right side up, or at least sideways.

For another $20k a guy could buy a Doosan VC430 and have a "real" machine. Seriously, not just haas bashing here.
The Doosan VC is freaking BEEF. And, if a guy options this haas to come even close to the Doosans std. equipment?
I am sure it would be more $$$ than the Doosan.

A bit off topic but I just came from their website.
They had an ST30Y lathe with a barfeeder and live tooling for 100K. List is 160 something.
They still have 1 ST15Y w/ the same package for 96K.
Look like this might be the time to buy...... :drool5:

COVID-19 flash sales......???

Back