UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Been a while since we had a NMD thread.

Sure is interesting to be hearing all the good about Haas 5x - especially when comparing to other - normally much higher grade MTB's.

Slight side note - I have stood right beside a really big Grobe with a heavy part flipping around in it, and not hear anything, or feel anything in the floor.
    (IMTS, so not on ground zero)

I believe those to be the real deal, not that I have ever ran one tho.
    Worth it? Wouldn't have a clue....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I believe Dennis of dstryr fame still has his Grob.

I think Grob have an assembly operation in Ohio. [German company design and intergration with bespoke Taiwanese castings on US soil.]. (Need to double check).

The new cycloidal drive from HAAS + rotary scales seems promising. $ wise 1 Grob is 3x max optioned HAAS 5 axis Universal (at least).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, the Grob plant is in a one horse town about an hour south of me.

I should qualify the size of "large" in my post, and I would have guessed the part to have been 2000#.

I hope that the positive aspects of the Haas 5x continues, and Haas can find their way into more than just the entry level market soon.
    That would be a nice step up on our home soil for once.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

3. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Nelson View Post
    So on the C axis I’m trying to set up our post for our machine I thought the c axis was unlimited on rotations do you know if it is ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No it is not unlimited, or wasn't on the UMC750 I ran a few years back. I think it will wind up to 22k or something. There is a setting on the machine for the unwind so it will bascially make the closest C move to get back to 'zero' then reset it to C0.

108 - Quick Rotary G28

Not sure if this is the same function I am thinking...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    No it is not unlimited, or wasn't on the UMC750 I ran a few years back. I think it will wind up to 22k or something. There is a setting on the machine for the unwind so it will bascially make the closest C move to get back to 'zero' then reset it to C0.

108 - Quick Rotary G28

Not sure if this is the same function I am thinking...
    This function only works when used with a G91 and not a G90 .

That sounds like the best way to control that action.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know my post was controlling the C axis reset, but I don't remember all the details... Maybe the post output a G91G28C0., but then moved the C back into the correct position to continue machining? Honestly only used it a handfull of times doing 4 axis simultaneous 3d surfacing.

22k (ballpark) / 360 = 61 revolutions. Now I suppose if you do 4th simultaneous all day everyday (in one direction) you really do need to get your post/machine settings correct to utilize the faster and easier C 'unwind'.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I know my post was controlling the C axis reset, but I don't remember all the details... Maybe the post output a G91G28C0., but then moved the C back into the correct position to continue machining? Honestly only used it a handfull of times doing 4 axis simultaneous 3d surfacing.

22k (ballpark) / 360 = 61 revolutions. Now I suppose if you do 4th simultaneous all day everyday (in one direction) you really do need to get your post/machine settings correct to utilize the faster and easier C 'unwind'.
    The part that bothers me is it would be a U.N. protected move if the machine does the c unwind on its own. On my end it would be not verified on the cam side I’m thinking maybe worrying too much
    Don

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The part that bothers me is it would be a U.N. protected move if the machine does the c unwind on its own. On my end it would be not verified on the cam side I’m thinking maybe worrying too much
    Don

That's their procedure... ^^^

There's another video and discussion (somewhere) where they explain WHY they have to do that (I never fully understood their argument) but I think it has something to do with the fact that the rotary encoder is counting on the servo not on the direct face of the rotary.

Whereas the ring encoder HAAS uses (like on the UMC 500) is direct read of the rotary axis, but not sure if the have a home mark on the ring (magnetically or optically) that also "counts " the number of revolutions. (not just a homing switch.).

Sometimes if you bug HAAS on Facebook you can get direct answers within a day
    .(chat window).

I would have thought if you just bought your machine you could phone them up and ask ???

@D Nelson, I don't think you are overthinking this... (you gotta know YKWIM ?).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

That's their procedure...

There's another video and discussion (somewhere) where they explain WHY they have to do that (I never fully understood their argument) but I think it has something to do with the fact that the rotary encoder is counting on the servo not on the direct face of the rotary.

Whereas the ring encoder HAAS uses is direct read of the rotary axis but not sure if the have a home mark on the ring (magnetically or optically) that also "counts " the number of revolutions.

Sometimes if you bug HAAS on Facebook you can get direct answers within a day

I would have thought if you just bought your machine you could phone them up and ask ???

@D Nelson, I don't think you are overthinking this... (you gotta know YKWIM ?).
    They will be here tomorrow to set up machine I will get to the bottom and report back we bought simulation from mastercam for the umc1000 including the sheet metal so trying to figure it alll out
    Don

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They will be here tomorrow to set up machine I will get to the bottom and report back we bought simulation from mastercam for the umc1000 including the sheet metal so trying to figure it alll out
    Don

Awesomeness ! And thanks for sharing and GOOD LUCK ! :-)

The install procedure is pretty complicated to get everything leveled and aligned and calibrated as it should be, but looks like your shop has a very decent foundation so they should be able to do a really good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I believe Dennis of dstryr fame still has his Grob.

Not to sidetrack the thread but Grob is the real deal. I'm up to 3 of their Machines now. 1 Gen 0 G350, 1 Gen 1 G350, 1 Gen 2 G550. Of all the highend builders they are my favorite and the best I've ever worked with.

12. Likes cameraman, cnctoolcat, empwoer, Ox, SND and 2 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    Not to sidetrack the thread but Grob is the real deal. I'm up to 3 of their Machines now. 1 Gen 0 G350, 1 Gen 1 G350, 1 Gen 2 G550. Of all the highend builders they are my favorite and the best I've ever worked with.
    Nice and that's amazing , You still have the Yasda ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was also told C-axis dist is unlimited. Personally been to up to around 140k or so °

Not sure of the exact limit, but for all practical purposes you should consider it "unlimited". See below

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snapshot1.jpg  

15. Likes TeachMePlease, cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    Can I have a pipe berth in your shop? I'll load parts for free at night . But only if I can help program (I meant play with) the toys.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by huskermcdoogle View Post
    Can I have a pipe berth in your shop? I'll load parts for free at night . But only if I can help program (I meant play with) the toys.
    he loads parts up and goes to sleep at night while the machines run lights out :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Yeah, the Grob plant is in a one horse town about an hour south of me.

I should qualify the size of "large" in my post, and I would have guessed the part to have been 2000#.

I hope that the positive aspects of the Haas 5x continues, and Haas can find their way into more than just the entry level market soon.
    That would be a nice step up on our home soil for once.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Is this the same Grob that makes the band saws?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don

The sim I used was very very accurate (from postability, with sim) hope yours is too!!

Quote Originally Posted by thesidetalker View Post
    I was also told C-axis dist is unlimited. Personally been to up to around 140k or so °

Not sure of the exact limit, but for all practical purposes you should consider it "unlimited". See below

Cool! They must have updated the software and whatnot since I was using it.