New Machine Day: Another F-ing Speedio - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andy doesn't fuck around. We've had our R650 for just shy of 1 year now, and we've had Andy stop by our dumb little shop for no particular reason I think 3 times. He's based 500 miles away. I'm very curious about what Brother ends up telling us about the M280-M288 settings.

I never even met my Haas salesman, and he's not even 100 miles away.

2. Likes wheelieking71, dstryr, 2outof3, aarongough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Andy doesn't fuck around. We've had our R650 for just shy of 1 year now, and we've had Andy stop by our dumb little shop for no particular reason I think 3 times. He's based 500 miles away. I'm very curious about what Brother ends up telling us about the M280-M288 settings.

I never even met my Haas salesman, and he's not even 100 miles away.
    Last time Andy was here, I missed him by two minutes!!!! (had to run to hardware store) At least he got to see the 650 jammin'

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Last time Andy was here, I missed him by two minutes!!!! (had to run to hardware store) At least he got to see the 650 jammin'
    I will make it next time around.

5. Likes wheelieking71, aarongough, gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We checked out one of the two on our floor and the Mode B stuff was all populated. I'll check the other one but this may have been a hit-or-miss issue?

In other news, there is an issue with integration of the Metrol tool setters on both of my 700s. Yamazen is on it but we may look at switching to Blum for those as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    For our chip problem of getting into the tank, the service guy called LNS Turbo, and they suggested an air knife. So, we'll see how that works out soon. Hopefully.
    Any luck with the chips? We have the same problem with both of our Brother/Turbos. We installed a brush on the underside of the conveyor opening this week, so we'll see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Who's making a nice corncob 3/8" carbide rougher, with a weldon shank?

I was being cheeky running the new Maritool hotness, my go-to has always been a stubby side lock... Now I'm all f-ing paranoid!
    For a 1/4" diameter and larger I think Maritool is by far the best value, and not sure they are second in performace. I just haven't done the volume of work with the larger mills to test these tools. Do get the TiB2 coating as I have found it has enabled me to increase feedrates by 20% and increase tool life, at least with the 3/16" mills I used to push as hard as possible before they break, on one slotting job. MA Ford also makes an excellent corncob rougher in 3/8" and up sizes, but the coating and Weldon flat would be specials.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    We checked out one of the two on our floor and the Mode B stuff was all populated. I'll check the other one but this may have been a hit-or-miss issue?
    It's a hit or miss issue depending (it seems) on when the machine was built. Earlier production Speedios came with the Mode B parameters filled out, but could not cut helical moves with Mode B active. Sometime in the past year, the Kirya factory changed Mode B to allow helical moves (huzzah!) but in doing so, stopped pre-configuring the Mode B M code parameters on the production line.

27k machines all come with Mode BII installed at the factory, and have everything configured off the production line.

In other news, there is an issue with integration of the Metrol tool setters on both of my 700s. Yamazen is on it but we may look at switching to Blum for those as well.
    I think I know the issue you're speaking of (it had to do with overtravel protection on the e stop). Yamazen is fixing them now (they finalized the wiring diagram as mine was being installed). Once wired, the Metrol hardware is very robust and hyper accurate, the only thing you'll get with the Blum is a higher initial pre-set hit speed (the pre hit it does before backing the tool off and taking the much slower measuring hit). If you're doing a lot of tool breakage detection, the Blum will be faster by a second or two, but if you do a lot of setups and job shop work, the Metrol's integrated air blow and overtravel estop protection is nice to have.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alright I'll make sure we test the helical with Mode B active. I'll also mention the overtravel protection and e-stop to the techs on Monday but IIRC this was a pretty simple three-wire install?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gilles View Post
    Have you checked the shank tolerance on the tool? I have seen tooling companies mention the shanks need to be held to a tighter tolerance than some brands typically offer with standard carbide. Maybe it was on the low end so it didn't get the typical gripping force when the holder cooled.
    +1 on check the tolerances. I came by a Schunk hydraulic tool holder. I didn't think much of it and used it a few times. At one point I had a 1/2" drill in it and watched the drill stop spinning in a hole. Come to find out the shank needs to be H7 or something, which most stock end mills are not. So if it's more than .0005" undersize, all bet are off. Turns out I have almost nothing that fits it, so the keyseat cutter lives there.

Compressor is probably fine. I ran a 20 gallon Dewalt to death with my S500. A better built unit would probably be fine. Yamazen turned down my spindle purge air pressure for me (the one that is always on). I also cut air to the machine when I'm at the desk programming.