Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New machine day. DMG Mori NLX.

The new lathe arrived yesterday after many delays due to snow and such.
    DMG Mori NLX 2000 SY. After seeing one in the flesh in Sweden before christmas I made up my mind.
    The Mazak QT I had did things fine but the build quality of the DMG seems a notch up.
    Will post some more once it's installed.

dmg01.jpg-dmg02.jpg-dmg03.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be biting my lip waiting for the steel pallet to skate on the forks coming up that hill
    Nice!
    Gary

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent choice. We have two of these machines arriving in June. I will be watching to see how they work out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on the new lathe.

Would love to see more photos of the shop. That place looks immaculate.

5. Likes Panza liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finally got the live tools that was to come with the machine. The bad is that it took months, the good is that I got to order whatever I wanted (6 pieces), and I got 2 extra 6000rpm Sauter radial holders because everything took so long. So I have 4 radial and 4 axial now. The axial ones are from MT Marcehetti. All 4 are 10.000rpm. The single holders have coolant through, the double doesn't.

I have made up a simple coolant filter system since the MT holders required 30micron filtering. I am working on a bolt-on plenum for my Mistaway also. Will come back with some pictures later.

Orange vise: You can have a look-see on my youtube channel: YouTube

livetools.jpg

7. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking forward to seeing more on this. Congratulations on the machine.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

9. Likes Panza liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had issues with the Service from DMG Mori Sweden from day one. Hence no updates.
    They don't even keep written agreements.
    Very disappointed with the whole deal.
    Machine is ok but with the service or lack of that one can't help but wish one had bought something else (Mazak).
    Just a warning for others in Scandinavia who considers buying from DMG: If you really want an NLX or something, get a used one and find a service-company that actually knows what service means.

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    I have had issues with the Service from DMG Mori Sweden from day one. Hence no updates.
    Machine is ok but with the service or lack of that one can't help but wish one had bought something else (Mazak).
    Just a warning for others in Scandinavia who considers buying from DMG: If you really want an NLX or something, get a used one and find a service-company that actually knows what service means.

Its the same way everywhere DMG/Mori is sold. They can't get their head out of their ass ever since they started doing sales and service themselves. I have one client in Taiwan that has two huge factories full of DMG and has stopped ordering due to the service and delays.

CNC Machining | ALLJACK - CNC Contract Manufacturing

13. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I have one client in Taiwan that has two huge factories full of DMG and has stopped ordering due to the service and delays.

CNC Machining | ALLJACK - CNC Contract Manufacturing
    Well... your client bought a bunch of MillTap 700s. Probably the biggest CNC fiasco to hit the industry in the last decade. Those machines never worked right, and DMG Mori sweet talked every major BT30 shop from Apple on down to buy them by the boatload when they came out. They never worked right for anyone.

So bad that my local DMG office was emailing offers to sell new ones for $60k (half the list price). Sub 1000 hour ones are hitting the used sales fliers for $25k, with actual prices being more like $20k.

Unmitigated fucking fiasco.

15. Likes SND, coffeetek liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Well... your client bought a bunch of MillTap 700s. Probably the biggest CNC fiasco to hit the industry in the last decade. Those machines never worked right, and DMG Mori sweet talked every major BT30 shop from Apple on down to buy them by the boatload when they came out. They never worked right for anyone.

So bad that my local DMG office was emailing offers to sell new ones for $60k (half the list price). Sub 1000 hour ones are hitting the used sales fliers for $25k, with actual prices being more like $20k.

I agree with this 100%. It's bad when Haas puts out a better 5X than DMG. Heck, They have about 40 DMU 60's and 100's and only half of them stay running. My point though was DMG trying to service their own machines is not working out for them right now. I see the only solution to their problem is to put sales and service back into a proper machine tool dealer that is setup to handle application and service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Panza, Where was your NLX made? are they shipping those from the US plant or do they have a plant in Europe making that model as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Panza, Where was your NLX made? are they shipping those from the US plant or do they have a plant in Europe making that model as well?
    I am under the impression that the DMG side are still built in Europe and the Mori side are still built in Japan. I'm not sure if there is any crossover.

At least, our NTX is coming from Japan.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I agree with this 100%. It's bad when Haas puts out a better 5X than DMG. Heck, They have about 40 DMU 60's and 100's and only half of them stay running. My point though was DMG trying to service their own machines is not working out for them right now. I see the only solution to their problem is to put sales and service back into a proper machine tool dealer that is setup to handle application and service.
    Bejesus. I always thought DMG Mori's atrocious service reputation was limited to the US market.

Buying 40 very high-end machine tools and having 50% of them just not work is a good way to bankrupt a business. How is your pal dealing with that?

20. Likes Jashley73, g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bejesus. I always thought DMG Mori's atrocious service reputation was limited to the US market.

Buying 40 very high-end machine tools and having 50% of them just not work is a good way to bankrupt a business. How is your pal dealing with that?
    Their moving some of the operations to Japan and are looking at Mazak, Okuma or Hermle to swap. I cant believe with as much money as he has thrown DMG that they can make him a priority to keep his business. But Hey, What do I know......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends on how big the business is. I worked at a place that pumped over 6mil into a project only to abandon it about a year later because turns out it was not viable. Then onto another project (much smaller), bought two new Haas machines and sold them 2 years later. THEN decided to go into aerospace machining (ya I know ) with a 65mil budget, going overseas.... Right before I got laid off it turned out that wasn't working well either!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy

And I have 17 of them...................

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Auto View Post
    And I have 17 of them...................
    Are you having problems with the 17?

What exactly were the issues? I just bought two Haas DT2's. I was on the fence between them and a robodrill. I opted for two spindles vs. one. Buying a DMG with 1000 hours on it for $20k sounds great on paper but if they don't work they don't work. I'm curious what the issues were / are.

25. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What exactly were the issues?
    For the most part over hear its someone crunching the table. When you have a couple hundred CNC guys constantly handing off jobs a table bump gets to be an all to often thing. On that 700 the crappy design of the A/B system just cant take a hit. That's where most of Alljacks down time is.

The spindle is extremely cheap built. No ass at all and a bitch to swap out.

My biggest gripe is all the linear rails are exposed. It doesn't happen too often but it has happened that crud makes its way into the trucks. I've also seen guys putting molds in having to use a hoist and accidentally smack a rail since its right there in the way (No pun intended).

Simon's two shops have maybe 60 or 80 DMG's and it's a small shop compared to a lot of other shops running DMG that may have three or four hundred. And most people know, "Service after the sale" in Asia is non existent.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    as others have said, dmg/mori service is absolute SHIT. i would never spend a dime on any of their products ever again.

28. Likes g-coder05, SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We just received two of the same machines. NO PARTS BOOK ! Good frickin luck if you need to order parts. Such wonderful machines, such sucky parts service. Very sad situation.

30. Likes g-coder05 liked this post