New Machine Day! Doosan DNM 4500 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will post a pic of how I did mine, in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_4214.jpgimg_4212.jpgimg_4213.jpg

This is how I did it, and the install guy was happy. Ground wire on left at the junction is running back to my panel. First time I have ever been required to install a ground at the machine...

3. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmm, Is it just a Doosan thing? do they expect a separate ground rod for their turning centers as well?
    If you got a good ground from the main I don't really see the point there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess it is. I asked the set-up guy, he explained that if there was an issue with a drive or something, the first thing Fanuc would want was a ground at the machine, so they were just heading it off. Only ground rod I have ever put on a machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should still meet NEC as long as (like spock posted) you also have the equipment ground running back to your service entrance somehow (obviously depends on subpanels, etc.). If you didn't do that (isolated ground rod) you'd have a potentially dangerous code violation. But yeah, I must also be missing what they intend that to accomplish.

7. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't this issue of grounding been beat to death? ONE GROUND ROD FOR THE WHOLE FUCKING BUILDING!!!!!!. Grounding wires from each machine back to panel, grounding wire from each panel back to main disconnect ground(Rod). End of discussion.

9. Likes SND, Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've always had grounding rods installed for our high amp CNC machines (40 amp+), in addition to the building's ground wiring and grounding rod. Based off of what I've seen others do with their machines, I guess it's more of an optional thing, but I was under the impression that it was standard for machine builders to include an external grounding lug somewhere on the base of the machine.

As far as whether to do it or not, the machine or control builder probably has their own opinions based in science and/or tradition, but I see it more as an extra bit of helpful redundancy rather than a necessity. You can't predict how a power surge will effect delicate electronics. The way it was explained to me is that If our building gets struck in a thunderstorm, we want that jolt to have a clear shot to the ground without having to travel all over our building's electrical grid. It will likely want to go through the higher gauged wiring which in this case is working closely with the more delicate control wiring. The other side of it is it helps to neutralize any minor interference from stuff like welding in the building.

It's not a guaranteed insurance policy, but if there's provision for it, might as well...

11. Likes LockNut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    Hasn't this issue of grounding been beat to death? ONE GROUND ROD FOR THE WHOLE FUCKING BUILDING!!!!!!. Grounding wires from each machine back to panel, grounding wire from each panel back to main disconnect ground(Rod). End of discussion.
    AFAIK NEC requires two eight foot ground rods installed a minimum of six feet apart at any service entrance (and at a subpanel in a structure detached from the building with the service entrance, and forbids bonding of the neutral to ground anywhere but the service entrance). Where I work now we have a ton of inductive loads near very sensitive instruments and until we moved over to double-conversion UPS isolation, we fried stuff all the time. Sticking ground rods everywhere isn't going to change anything like that - as I said, I get that it may work as a (sometimes code-violating) band aid for poor grounding in a building but if the grounding is good I don't see what purpose it could possibly serve?

I'm sorry I don't mean to derail. OP, congrats on your new tool! I've got one (my first) coming and I should probably get off the internet and out to the shop to get the phase converter wired up!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Attachment 215856
    Attachment 215857
    Attachment 215858
    The truck showed up around 8:15 this morning and by 10:00 he was gone and the riggers were tying their forklift back onto the trailer. NOW.... we've got to wait for electrical to be connected on Tuesday and then the Doosan guys come back for set-up and training.

You'd think after shopping for close to 2 years, I'd be used to waiting, but I'm not. I want to turn this thing on! Oh, well.... it's Christmas!

Attachment 215859

I should have titled the thread "New Machine and Turkey Fry!" We're having our company Christmas part later today.
    Let me know if you need anything, I'm the Training Coordinator for Doosan.

14. Likes M.B. Naegle, Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First technician is working on the machine today.
    doosan-21.jpg
    We talked to him about the grounding rod and he confirmed that a local rod for the machine is what the manufacturer wants, but this particular machine does not have a lug on the base of the machine for that purpose. He recommended doing it just like spock did above: ground to the main power switch's grounding lug. I started drilling a hole behind the machine and ran out of drill bit (18" bit, which up until now had been enough). So I went back to our building's floor plan and found that as we thought, the floor under most of the machines is 15" thick, but where we were putting the rod under this one it's 24" thick, so we could order a longer bit, oooorrr..... we discussed it a little more and decided that the rod doesn't have to be right beside the base, we could put it under the service disconnect which isn't that far away from the machines cabinet. I like this option because if we ever need to shift the machine over or upgrade again to a different one, the rod is out of the way.
    doosan-20.jpg
    (I'll add too that the extra holes you see next to the rod are me trying to dodge a piece of rebar 4" in)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you only have 6" to go you can try to punch the rod through with a rotary hammer or you can probably rent an electric jackhammer for $25 somewhere.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    If you only have 6" to go you can try to punch the rod through with a rotary hammer or you can probably rent an electric jackhammer for $25 somewhere.
    The rod's 8' long 1/2" copper though so I'm afraid it would bend before it went anywhere. I'm going to put a 36" masonry bit on our shopping list for next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    If you only have 6" to go you can try to punch the rod through with a rotary hammer

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

19. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    If you keep at it you'll have one big ass copper nail.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure why that is funny, unless you guys caveman ground rods in with a hammer or fence post driver instead of doing it the smart way? I've seen ground rods split granite before when installed (most are copper-clad steel these days, not copper). We had to do about 40 of them here at work a few years ago. The biggest Milwaukee brand rotary hammer you can get will drive an 8' rod in 10-15 seconds to full depth in loam or clay, and it will go through rocky soil in less than 30 seconds. You literally can't get down off the ladder fast enough to keep up with the thing.

Give it a few seconds and if it doesn't move then go to plan B.

Or whatever, no skin off my back.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today we did some self training figuring out what's different between this Fanuc and our older one. It's still pretty much the same but has additional features that we're learning to navigate through. We figured out how to upload programs from USB, which was simple after we re-formatted the thumb-drive. We also switched the machines measurement system from Metric to Imperial.

Our new pair of Kurt vices arrived and we got them dialed in on the table. Pull studs should be in Monday. The machine is full of coolant and cutting air at the moment. Until the probes are set-up, we'll be doing our off-sets the old fashioned way, but we COULD have chips on Monday.

Initial impressions are that the machine is cleanly built, and oddly quiet. When it's running all we hear is the coolant splashing and an occasional scrape of an auger on sheet metal. The side arm tool change is MUCH faster than the old umbrella ones. Our butt muscles are getting sore. The Control will involve a minimal learning curve and the Doosan upgrades seem fairly useful and intuitive.

23. Likes Ox, BSCustoms, Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haven't updated but a lot has happened. Between the ice storms going on around Houston, and my brother and I both having babies (we both had boy's delivered 1 day apart), our schedules have been a bit tired. BUT we have a guy from Ellison here today who braved the weather and will be getting us going with the probes and answering control questions.

We started making chips last week too. Nothing crazy yet, just surfacing some parts in preparing for later ops. Pics will come!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must'a been a really close call on getting your taxes paid last year?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Must'a been a really close call on getting your taxes paid last year?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yep we cut it close. Ellison has been nice to work with. Even though we're the little guy and there are lots of companies who bought end-of-year machines, they haven't forgotten us. We're itch'n for this deal to be done but we have to remember the time-frame it happened in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Woops!

Too high!
    My bad...

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox