UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Vise View Post
    Very nice.

How clean are the pallets when they get reloaded into the magazine? I'm thinking an errant steel chip here and there can scratch up those beautiful aluminum trays over time. Have you thought about sending those trays out for Type III hard coat? It'll add about 0.0015-0.002 thickness, but for a few hundred $$ will pretty much make them scratch free for the life of the machine.

Any chance you could a share a ballpark price on the system?

If you haven't fully tooled up all 50 pallets, send me an PM or email. Would love to work with you on a project like that if you're willing to be a beta tester.
    Thanks!

I think it will stay pretty clean inside the robot. Anodizing the shelves sounds like a good idea. They look like there made of mic6 though. I'm not sure how well that anodizes.

IIRC the base robot is around 100k. There are many options and configurations though so that could easily double especially if you add different pallet sizes. The robot can change grippers and install adaptor rings on the chuck. It's a pretty cool system. I opted for simple with only one size pallet.

Auto doors, robot interfaces, and plumbing though the trunnion also adds to the cost.

So far I have 10 pallets, I'll add more as time goes on, and the bank account recovers.

What did you have in mind for tooling for this cell?

4. Likes Kaszub liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    I'm curious about how long it takes to prepare stock to mount to the erowa pallets that go in the robot. (Depends a little on the pallet type and the part?)

With as many as 50 parts to be made in a batch, how large a tool changer do you need?

Oh, and a 3rd thumbs up for storloc.
    I've got 48 tools on this machine. IIRC it could go up to 64 before you need a hive. It was on the floor at morris with 48 tools so that's what we got.

Don't know about time to prepare stock. It will be the same whether or not I use one vise on the trunnion and swap parts or I use 50 vises on pallets. Someone will have to prepare stock and load vises regardless. They just won't have to stand by the machine and swap parts every 5-10 min. They do all the work at once, and the machine runs for 6-12hrs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just and update, Morris and Erowa have been working on the robot but haven't been able to finish the install yet. There's a short video of the Robot moving a pallet and reading it's RFID chip on our instagram page if anyone is interested.

Ed Weiher on Instagram: “The #robot install isn't finished yet but we do have motion! #pallet 47 to 47 and read the #rfid tag please! #Okuma #MU4000V #5axis…”

7. Likes Mtndew, cameraman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just out of curiosity why did you buy the RFID option?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    Just out of curiosity why did you buy the RFID option?
    I got the cell controller and the RFID option. The cell controller would allow me to run a different program for each pallet, and the RFID option makes it almost fool proof. Each time you open the door the robot scans that side of the cabinet so it knows which pallets are where and which stations are empty.

Did you go with the cell controller?

How long did your install take? We're going on 7 months since the robot was delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I got the cell controller and the RFID option. The cell controller would allow me to run a different program for each pallet, and the RFID option makes it almost fool proof. Each time you open the door the robot scans that side of the cabinet so it knows which pallets are where and which stations are empty.

How long did your install take? We're going on 7 months since the robot was delivered.
    I have the cell controller but didnt order the RFID stuff. We have two machines running now with 2 robots (ERM). Just received quote on a new robot for the Grob 550 with 500kg lift capacity.

Install took a few days but there were bugs to work out but I attribute that to the Siemens control integration. I assume your issues are related to Okuma more than Erowa?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok I thought my math was wonky until you posted this..How is that possible?
    Gary

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okuma and Morris have gone above and beyond on this project. The "erowa prep" option which is the air lines through the table and the control for it on the machine side isn't working correctly yet but okuma is working on it. It's a new option on the MU4000V so the documentation isn't the best. Okuma flew a tech out this week to work with the Morris tech to sort it out.

The projects problems started with the sales side. The wrong robot interface was ordered because the erowa salesman didn't check with the erowa tech to find out they need the standard interface not the anybus (ethernet) interface. Morris and okuma ate that and had the correct interface installed.

Erowa also wanted to chop a bunch of sheetmetal up on the side of the machine for the robot door. Much of which was structural and unnecessary. So I wouldn't let them do that. They then admitted that they had a smaller door that would work, the original door was speced for a different robot that didn't move up and down in Z. When we got the new door shroud it was not engineered well. It was basically a chip trap and after many complaints by me the engineer came out and agreed that it wouldn't work. They took it back and reworked it but it's still not perfect.

The first erowa tech didn't know much about interfacing the robot and machine. He kept asking where the han plug for the robot plugged in. I told him okuma had the robot interface installed on the machine but the two techs (erowa and okuma) had to work together to figure out how to connect the robot to the robot interface on the machine.

Finally about a month ago erowa sent a senior tech out and we started making progress. Now we are waiting for another erowa tech to setup the cell controller. Apparently he's the only one in the US and his schedule is full.
    Last edited by Edster; 03-05-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sucks how this whole ordeal went down for you. My experience isn't near the same. Im about to cut them a P.O. for $250k for my third system...

I wonder how many okuma machines have been done by them before... Okuma / Erowa.

14. Likes Edster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

7 months is a terrifying number for me.... I couldn't afford to have the capital tied up for that long for something that wasn't producing and paying for itself. Your a better man (woman?) than me. I would be screaming bloody murder by 7 months.

16. Likes Edster, Cycle1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve fitted a few of these to Hurco 5 axis VMX30Ui machines. I’ve done two two-machine one robot cells and they work really well. Erowa robots are a really nice piece of equipment.

18. Likes Edster liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interested to see how everything works out for you.

We just got what is essentially the 3r version of this, the workpartner. Will be placed between our mill and sink edm to change both electrodes (macro pallets) and dynafix pallets.

Surprised to hear of all the issues you're having on the install, the Erowa stuff looks really nice and they seemed to have their stuff together but they did say they are very busy with so many people getting into automation.

In the end 3r was able to offer us some really good discounts with them being owned by the same company that makes our machine it was a no brainer.

We didn't get the cell controller software and RFID stuff but kind of wishing we did, I can see us adding it in the future.

20. Likes Edster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a couple pics of the first shroud. They reworked it and added a sloped piece so the chips and coolant wouldn't build up. It's coming along but still very frustrating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181128_104942.jpg   20181128_111524.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a couple pics of the first shroud. They reworked it and added a sloped piece so the chips and coolant wouldn't build up. It's coming along but still very frustrating.
    Would have been easier to add an air curtain to keep chips away from it I think.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think an air curtain would stop chips coming off a 1/2" end mill in aluminum. The machines enclosure isn't that big, and the chips come off the tool with enough energy to remove paint. If an air curtain was strong enough to stop the chips it would be using alot of air and air isn't free.

It would be better if the door was on the inner sheetmetal instead of the outer sheetmetal but that isn't possible on this machine.

Morris and Okuma got the Erowa prep option sorted on the machine. Lots of simple problems from the initial installation and a lack of documentation from Okuma caused a lot of head scratching and delays. But it looks like we're back on track again.

We're waiting for the Erowa cell controller technician now.

24. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep us updated; we're working with another MTB supplier's nascent automation group and I'm hoping things go a bit more smoothly for us.

26. Likes Edster liked this post