What's new
What's new

New Machine Day... finally the DMU 50 3rd Gen...

I know Mussolini managed to make the trains run on time back in the dark days of fascist Italy; but was surprised to learn that someone could set their watch by a machine delivery date in Italia.

@Nashers Are the installation techs coming from Germany on this one or is it an "Italian Job" ?

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Looking forward to speed and metrics for "Running circles" around the "Affordable" Hermle (in time when you have time).

Hope It's all going well man...

:cheers:

All is well, they came on perfect Italian time, at around 13:00 local after having had their lunch ;-) They have anchored the machine to the floor, saying that a machine with automation needs to be anchored. They have not tightened the bolts yet since on monday they'll come to start the installation. The packaging for transport is just excellent. All the doors axes etc, are well greased for protection and fastened with metal braces. The machine was delivered on an extremely strong pallet and was bolted to the pallet frame.
2018-06-14 13.45.14.jpg
The DMG guy getting a tan on the machine in this image.

2018-06-14 16.25.49.jpg
In this image, the machine is on the floor in position and the DMG tech has just put the marks for the anchors. Then the machine is lifted and moved away, holes drilled in the floor, anchors installed and then the machine is lifted again and placed on the anchors. The anchors don't have much strength at this moment, they'll do alignment on Monday.

The 60 tool, tool changer looks like this:
2018-06-14 18.11.51.jpg

2018-06-14 18.11.21.jpg

BTW,the machine, (casting + axes) is 7700kg, the HP coolant pump, chip conveyor and cooling system are around 1300kg making the total around 9000kg.

Oh man :drool5::cloud9:
Congrats. Hope this works good for you.
What automation did you pick for your DMU?

Looks pretty sweet ! Congrats!

Some interesting angles on the 3rd gen (tool access door)… funky stealth angles.

Seems you got some serious options going there :-)

@Kaszub, thank you very much!

About automation, I'm ambivalent and a definite procrastinator. I'd like to develop my own using the ideas from MAM72 and a few others, and develop a palletizing system that would work for our needs of extremely high variability and low volume production with H24/7 operation. I've got a lot of ideas baking but will work on this after our aircraft is out and in serial production. I had to choose automation right away since it is one option that DMG do not retrofit later on.

Looks pretty sweet ! Congrats!

Some interesting angles on the 3rd gen (tool access door)… funky stealth angles.

Seems you got some serious options going there :-)

Eric, Thanks a lot. The machine is not yet completely assembled it lacks the chip conveyor that's the hole you see on the side. I have most of the options that one would need to run H24/7. Once DMG attach everything I can send you folks some images of the scales, the guideway cooling system etc. etc. But I'm going to get down and clean the machine extremely well with rags, CIMCOOL, then flush it with 2% blaser and then blaser all the way. I've seen guys just using a rag cleaning the muck and filling the machine.

Eric, Thanks a lot. The machine is not yet completely assembled it lacks the chip conveyor that's the hole you see on the side. I have most of the options that one would need to run H24/7. Once DMG attach everything I can send you folks some images of the scales, the guideway cooling system etc. etc. But I'm going to get down and clean the machine extremely well with rags, CIMCOOL, then flush it with 2% blaser and then blaser all the way. I've seen guys just using a rag cleaning the muck and filling the machine.

The photos of scales and integral cooling system would be awesome...

I feel for you man, I have a low tolerance for large quantities of solvents. At Smithsonian's NASM / restoration facility we had to wage a war against CRC Cosmoline in preference for special formulations of microcrystalline wax and other ingredients such as vapor phase corrosion inhibitors.

Usually retired cornel/officer/"curator" would be "If it's brown and goopy it must be good"...

And then we'd get into it !

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Good luck! Hope due diligence and elbow grease makes good !

:cheers:

Machine looks great ! Much beefier than it's antecedents.

Just took some photographs of the machine insides:

2018-06-15 09.42.23.jpg
Here you see the width of the linear rails, 45mm. The ball screws are either 45 or 50mm for the Y.

2018-06-15 09.43.22.jpg
I've taken a closeup of the rails cooling system. These things are all over the machine

2018-06-15 09.42.41.jpg

All the orange things are transport fixtures. They need to come off before the machine will be able to run. In this pic, you see a blue thing below the X-Axis, that is the linear scale, with a precision of 5microns, that's how they guarantee 6microns.

Anyhow, back to work, hope you guys like this. After I clean the machine it will look better.

Naresh

Just took some photographs of the machine insides:

View attachment 230803
Here you see the width of the linear rails, 45mm. The ball screws are either 45 or 50mm for the Y.

View attachment 230804
I've taken a closeup of the rails cooling system. These things are all over the machine

View attachment 230805

All the orange things are transport fixtures. They need to come off before the machine will be able to run. In this pic, you see a blue thing below the X-Axis, that is the linear scale, with a precision of 5microns, that's how they guarantee 6microns. Actually you don't see the blue thing in that photo, so I've added another one below:

2018-06-15 09.43.32.jpg

Anyhow, back to work, hope you guys like this. After I clean the machine it will look better.

Naresh

Nice Machine! What CAM system are you using to drive that bad boy?
What about machine simulation software?

Thanks for the comment @Rstewart! I have yet to decide on that, initially it will be Fusion CAM with a few post-tweaks. But I need to look at a really good tool. What would you suggest for a high speed continuous 5 axis machine and why? Powermill / Hypermill / NX?

For most things I'm ok with positional 5 axis, but there are around 10-25% of jobs which would require continuous which I'd like to do in two hits max. The machine has Siemens 840D SL with Celos.

Thanks a lot.

Whatever you pick, get some G-code verification software. I think NX may have that built in. Most folks use Vericut or Camplete for 5 axis G-code simulation.

My only experience is with MasterCam and Fusion.

@nsharma - congrats - and perhaps noteworthy that my now 12 year old DMU60 is only 14,000# (call it 6500kg) - so your machine seems heavier even though somewhat smaller travel.
I think it's good you got the big tool changer.

Agree about simulation (be it vericut/ncsimula or one of the others that have appeared) - but remember that how good those simulations are at finding crashes is a function of how good your machine model is. (Just like CAM won't be very potent with an inadequate post.)

Since you are in Italy I am guessing this machine came from Pfronten?

I think NX may have that built in.

Standard with NX is internal path simulation, but actual G-code/machine motion simulation is an option that I've been told almost every 5 axis customer gets. It isn't cheap, but the pricing is in-line with Vericut or Camplete...

Of course, there comes the philosophical question of having one tool check itself. I believe the NX G-code simulation is a totally separate code base that just uses the graphics/UI of the core NX install, but the calculation is all it's own code.

Seems like a fella could git a paper, or cardboard mock-up of the machine and hole patterns and have that work all done a week prior to delivery?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Seems like a fella could git a paper, or cardboard mock-up of the machine and hole patterns and have that work all done a week prior to delivery?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I always got a 3-d Model of the mosheen.....months before.

So I could show it on the floor, the electrical cabinet clearances, the crane
access, the stub outs for electrical and air, the chip conveyor, the coolant trough, clearance from the column foundations, blah, blah, blah.

...and the hold down anchors.

I always got a 3-d Model of the mosheen.....months before.

So I could show it on the floor, the electrical cabinet clearances, the crane
access, the stub outs for electrical and air, the chip conveyor, the coolant trough, clearance from the column foundations, blah, blah, blah.

...and the hold down anchors.

I'm guessin' that someone paid extra for all of that!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back