What's new
What's new

New Machine Day-Kitamura 4XiD

red beard

Cast Iron
My new VMC was delivered today, a Kitamura 4XiD.

20171010_105555.jpg
I had to say goodbye to a old friend today as well.

20171010_110200.jpg20171010_110335.jpg
The move-in was thankfully uneventful. Now I have to get power and air to it so the techs can come in and do their thing.

(I think I may have done this wrong, but I don't have time to drag out a thread for several weeks. I have parts to make. :D)

*edit--I had more pictures but it won't let me upload anymore on this post or in a reply.

Attachments

• 20171010_113631.jpg
    20171010_113631.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 20171010_113640.jpg
    20171010_113640.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 512
*edit--I had more pictures but it won't let me upload anymore on this post or in a reply.
I can help.

This seems to work.

""To be continued"" A month of Sundays from now, the pictures will magically appear.

Congrats on your new machine.

Regards Phil.

(On Edit). There is a 5 picture / post limit. Now that your thread is established, punt them in 5 at a time. You can do that post after post, 5 at a time, to put it multiple pictures.

Personally I like the Fork Lift / rigger pics. So don't miss those.

Looking good, will definitely need a follow up to see your thoughts on that beast.
Oh..and you suck at new machine day posts ;)
Gary

It's been a busy couple of days. The tech has been here getting it set up and leveled.

He finished up today and it is now ready to run!:D

I will have to get the hang of the control, but another tech will be here on Monday to show me the basics of the control.

I should be running parts next week. Unfortunately my vises won't be here for a couple of weeks. Orange Vise must be busy. They have a 3-4 week lead time right now. I have a couple of old Kurts that I can put on there in the meantime.

Nice machine. Please give us updates, as we don't hear/see much about Kitamura's on here...

On a side note - I know you probably needed to make room for the new machine, but what a shame to part with the old Okuma. Those are sweet lathes...

Nice machine. Please give us updates, as we don't hear/see much about Kitamura's on here...

On a side note - I know you probably needed to make room for the new machine, but what a shame to part with the old Okuma. Those are sweet lathes...

We had two engine lathes, that Okuma and a Mori Seiki. We didn't really need two anymore. I like the Mori better, so we kept that one.

Are those Mitsubishi or Fanuc based controls? Never had the opportunity to mess around with a Kitamura but from what I remember they used to come with yasnak as well?

This machine has a Mitsubishi control with Kitamura's UI over top of it. They tried to make the interface as much like Fanuc as they could. So far everything on the control seems to be pretty straightforward.

We ran some parts on the machine yesterday.:) I will see if I can post the video here.

The parts aren't anything special. They'er just some t-slot nuts for my new vises.
First impressions: It's much faster than any of my other machines (all are about 20 years old). I'm definitely going to be able to make more $/hr with this machine.

I'm not really taking a heavy cut with the end mill (1/2" HTC variable flute, .400 DOC, .100WOC, 2800 RPM, 64IPM), but it does seem quite rigid. The machine doesn't seem to notice that it's cutting anything at all.

Edit: It looks like my video won't embed here, but you can follow the link.

Here's another video milling 316 Stainless with a Dapra 1" indexable end mill. This machine seems every bit as rigid as my old, heavy box way Supermax (if not more), which is what I used to run this job on.

Back