What's new
What's new

New Machine Day: Los Hermanos

Rick Finsta

Stainless
Two Brother S700X1's hit the floor today. Both prepped for 4th axis indexing and we got one indexer. Still have to tool up, but the install is scheduled after the holiday.

20180629_082056.jpg

20180629_105429.jpg

Thanks! Just need another turning center, two or three magazine barfeeders, and a pair of 5-Axis machines now. LOL

Yeah, Frank we spoke a few days ago. I've gotta get an order together but it is taking forever to dig through all the VMC work and figure out what we need immediately based on the schedule.

And yes, the new owners are very serious about reinvestment and modernizing workflow. The shop is also getting fully cleaned up (in phases as we move machines around), LED lighting, and climate control. We are also renovating the offices and such but that may come a bit later.

The shop is also getting fully cleaned up (in phases as we move machines around), LED lighting, and climate control. We are also renovating the offices and such but that may come a bit later.

I just moved to a new shop. It's an old building with fluorescent fixtures. I converted them to LED and the difference is amazing. A bit pricy but it's worth any penny.

What got me is when I did it in my home shop. I set it up for around 415-425 lux with LEDs and it is AMAZING how easy it is to see things, read instruments and screens, weld, etc.

Now... anyone want an old TC-211?

Yeah, Frank we spoke a few days ago. I've gotta get an order together but it is taking forever to dig through all the VMC work and figure out what we need immediately based on the schedule.

And yes, the new owners are very serious about reinvestment and modernizing workflow. The shop is also getting fully cleaned up (in phases as we move machines around), LED lighting, and climate control. We are also renovating the offices and such but that may come a bit later.

That's really super about your new owners being serious about re-investment and modernizing workflow.

Climate control (fantastic).

With your Avatar and the Thread title and BROTHER/and a brace of Brother's hard not to think of Breaking Bad and... Los POLLOS HERMANOS

il_570xN.549197470_i9i8[1].jpg Chicken brothers BB.jpg

Hopefully with your new Brother's you'll be "Breaking Good".

Funny I started watching that show and couldn't handle it. It became obvious to me early on that the writers were making the people watching it the target of a social experiment: "how long can we get these folks to think the protagonist is the good guy?" My wife made the same comment, though.

converterking I'll have to look at the list to make sure we got it "free" in the acquisition. Otherwise we'd have to run it past the old owners. There is some old stuff they are trying to sell that they think is worth a lot more than it is. We have a product line that we process on the TC-211 exclusively, so we have to get that moved over to the new VMCs or hopefully done-in-one on the new lathe before we can deep-six the TC-211. That said, if we got it free I think it would cost some beer and BBQ money for the shop guys, but I'd have to run that by the owners.

BTW in another thread we were comparing options... the hookup for the garden hose looks to be right off the chip washdown line. For about $20 at the hardware store we can have a garden hose in the cabinet.

BTW in another thread we were comparing options... the hookup for the garden hose looks to be right off the chip washdown line. For about $20 at the hardware store we can have a garden hose in the cabinet.

Yea, there is a valve between the flood coolant lines and the flood coolant pump. In Speedio land, the pump is almost always running, hitting M08 simply opens the valve. This lets the system provide instant on/off with the fast tool changes (though it feels/sounds really strange having the coolant pump running all the time). The parameters let you put the coolant pump to "sleep" mode where the pump will be ready to turn on with an M08 (this is active when the flood coolant pump light is flashing).

The factory chip shower is just a T off the pump side of this valve. Easy enough to hook into it. As long as the pump is running and M08 is off, you've got hose pressure. If the pump is in sleep mode, a quick double tap on the coolant button brings it back up to pressure.

The parameters let you put the coolant pump to "sleep" mode where the pump will be ready to turn on with an M08 (this is active when the flood coolant pump light is flashing).

Must be Millennial marketing. LOL!

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Install going on today, training tomorrow. The Yamazen install guys are not messing around, everything is moving very quickly.

Got tooling and workholding on the way from Pierson and Maritool (Frank, the check is in the mail LOL).

I wanna make CHIPS!

20180720_185333.jpg

IMG_20180720_184030.jpg

I mentioned in another thread that there were issues with the tool setter install, fixed by some PLC changes. I had to push off the training until we had that taken care of and had tooling and workholding installed. I really dropped the ball not rolling all that into the financing package, but I'm new and learning.

Not pictured are the Orange 17" dual station vises we also got from Maritool. We've got an older Kurt 8-station rotary vise we're going to use on the 4th axis.

I'm headed into the shop today to get the last few things squared away. The T-nuts were a PITA. The "14mm/9/16"" with a 1/2x13 thread that I found were too wide for the slots (even though the detail drawings indicated they would fit) so I had to modify those, and I found I can't just plumb into the machine air post-regulator since it is locked at around 85psig and the Pierson pallets need 100psig to unlock. I have to go back a bit into the hard lines. We're not sure if they will live here long-term, so I'm trying to not make big utilities changes.

Looking good! For S500, S700 and S1000, I usually use/recommend 12mm thread T-slot nuts for 14mm slot. These are a perfect fit and readily available (McMaster). 1/2-13 nuts need to be modified. The R450 has 12mm slots so those use a 3/8 or 10mm nut. Do you need to have the ring gage on the table for your apps? You can take it off and put it on to check probe calibration as needed. The Pierson pallets do need pre-Brother regulated air. Keep the questions coming. Always happy to help.

Got the pallets working today and now I'm scratching my head. This shop has had a 30 taper machine for decades but I can't find a fixture to tighten the pull studs LOL. How were they doing it? They have one for the CAT40 stuff...

The ring gauge is just on there so the Yamazen training guy can go through it with us on Monday. It is coming off and getting stowed after that. Maritool had a BT30 tool-setter calibrator so I got one of those, too.

I've gotta see if I have a long enough extension for my dial indicator to tram these pallets in.

Now I've gotta do the not-fun part of running this shop; fighting with an old bar feeder.

I've gotta see if I have a long enough extension for my dial indicator to tram these pallets in.

Thanks to the magazine rotation function, you can (essentially) put a tool directly in the spindle without having to take it for a spin around the turret (unlike a Robodrill). So I snagged one of these:

http://a.co/hSWZclh

Running it in an ER collet now, but on my (bi-weekly) Maritool order, I'll get an 8mm end mill holder to throw it in.

Back