What's new
What's new

New Machine Day: Matsuura MX-520 PC4

Rick Finsta

Stainless
It's 5-axis day!!!!!

We bought this machine back in August, knowing it was going to IMTS. After some floor planning difficulties as we determine the direction we want to go with the business, followed by difficulty getting the concrete pad done in time, we are finally taking delivery today.

20180914_101327.jpg

20181129_165321.jpg

20181204_170714.jpg

20181219_075250.jpg

20181219_084342.jpg

20181219_100044.jpg

More pictures later once the grout is poured and the riggers are out of there. It is shoehorned in a corner but we are moving equipment away form it and tearing down a wall in front of it soon enough. We are building a work cell with this machine, a gantry lathe, and either a 1M Brother Speedio or potentially a bigger VMC or HMC. We will find out more about what kind of stuff we'll be doing in the next few months as we bring new work in, but so far i've got enough P20 prehard part quotes on my desk that we might want something that'll do some hogging.

Thanks, Andy! It was a tough decision feature for feature and dollar for dollar with some other options but ultimately I think we are going to be focused on lights out high mix low volume contract manufacturing and Matsuura's long history of factory automation integration won in the end.

20181219_132026.jpg

20181219_165637.jpg

20181219_165703.jpg

I don't want my Yamazen salesman getting cocky but right now I've got three blue and green 5-axis machines in work cells on the floor plan. If we are as successful filling this machine as I think we will be, we're going to be looking at the MAM/CUBLEX line coming up. We also have excellent local support for the CAM macro side of things through our local Autodesk reseller so I am contemplating Powermill right now. One of their guys does a lot of work with Matsuuras and CAMplete.

Right now honestly more than machines I need guys that'll show up to a job interview. We're caught up on legacy work and have several quote packages out through our sourcing guy, and he doesn't even technically start until the new year LOL. I've been crazy busy but it is going to get worse!

I'll leave a picture on the kitchen table at home so my wife remembers what I look like and doesn't shoot me coming through the door...

So, I have been digging through the Kennametal website as we have a sizable tooling certificate from them for this machine. Does anyone have any pointers as to where I should start for filling a 5-axis with general tools? I am thinking face mill, spot drill, and roughing tools for a few different materials. Just the stuff you know you are going to keep in the first dozen pockets or so...

I like the idea of the duolock modular tooling for end mills... anyone have experience with these?

Also looking at Haimer and Zoller presetter shrinkfit machines, and really like the Zoller storage cabinets. After watching so much time be wasted by guys looking for tools I really want to find something we can integrate into our new ERP as that gets rolled out next year.

Install was this week!

Yamazen techs were on site to assist Matsuura personnel.

20190112_105227.jpg

There was some confusion on the BT40 to CAT40 changeover but Matsuura got it taken care of ASAP. First tool holders and pullstuds are from Maritool while I get situated for the Kennametal certificate.

Playing around with (oops... "learning on") the new controller. I thought this was just a FANUC 31i with custom GUI but this is a Windows based control. It is super polished but things are in different places than on a standard FANUC.

Matsuura MX-52 PC4 Pallet Change - YouTube

I am now waiting for the Lang workholding but I may need to build some fixtures since I had a few RFQs before the end of the day once I told the business development guy that the machine install was complete.

Yamazen trainer is on site Monday and then Thursday/Friday, then basically whenever I need him over the next few months. They are fantastic about getting me access to the apps guys. Hypermill demo and some Inventor/HSM training this next week also and I'll make the decision on Powermill or Hypermill by EOM.

That looks like a fun machine to work with! I figure the pucker factor for the first few cycles will be high. What spindle did you get?

IF possible I would love to see a video of it making a part with decent programming, not a high bar from what I have seen. Everything I have found on Youtube is either chopped up/edited or piss poor programming. I did find a video showing the construction, that looks like a real neat machine.

I really like the fact they used the round pallet on the machine. One of the pallets would work nicely running as a horizontal doing lots of small parts to keep your cycle time at night up :)

Have fun

That looks like a fun machine to work with! I figure the pucker factor for the first few cycles will be high. What spindle did you get?

IF possible I would love to see a video of it making a part with decent programming, not a high bar from what I have seen. Everything I have found on Youtube is either chopped up/edited or piss poor programming. I did find a video showing the construction, that looks like a real neat machine.

It has the 20k greased spindle. Not sure you'll see any great programming from me... LOL

We don't currently have any parts under NDAs or other secret squirrel agreements so I'm pretty active about posting what we're doing on here, Youtube, and Instagram.

I promise no music on any videos I post unless I've got shop tunes on in the background. Normally that is Mariachi!

I really like the fact they used the round pallet on the machine. One of the pallets would work nicely running as a horizontal doing lots of small parts to keep your cycle time at night up :)

Have fun

Yup and the Lang plates will let us make quick-attach tombstones. We have toolmakers on site and I have one project that I want to have them make hydraulic or pneumatic indexing tombstones so I can get 2-3 times the volume unattended.

Frank, I've been meaning to call and ask you what you use for laser engraving your tool holders! Class act serializing your pull studs, too. We have some parts we quoted for outside laser marking but we'd like to bring it in house if possible.

This machine is at the "day job" shop so that one is @aciindustries.

Made my first chips on Friday. One year and one day from the first time I ever touched a CNC and I get to source, purchase, and run some of the coolest equipment in the world. I think this machine is going to make us a lot of money!

Still waiting on ze Germans for our fixturing so I whipped up some clamps for a Kurt DX6 on one of the Brother Speedios with some old scrap vise jaws and then made some test cuts.

IMG_20190118_131651_166.jpg

20190118_133914.jpg

Then we got right at it and made some pockets/holes/threads on a piece of D2 that had a bunch of other work on it already!

IMG_20190118_163846_213.jpg

We're forming a very close working relationship with our neighbors, who run a production shop and do tool and die work. With CAMplete we can post out from our CAD/CAM (Inventor/HSM or Fusion 360, soon to be Powermill as well) or theirs (Solidworks and MasterCAM) seamlessly and be cutting in minutes. We are also renting them spindle time and operators for overflow work which is a way for us to train some guys on some new Hurcos at the same time. I am working with their programmer and we're learning a lot from each other. We've waiting on Mastercam to get them a post for the Brothers so we can compare outputs and then we'll have them programming those as well.

We're gonna need bigger chip bins!

It has the 20k greased spindle. Not sure you'll see any great programming from me... LOL

We don't currently have any parts under NDAs or other secret squirrel agreements so I'm pretty active about posting what we're doing on here, Youtube, and Instagram.

I promise no music on any videos I post unless I've got shop tunes on in the background. Normally that is Mariachi!
whats your IG?

Back