Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nikoladbc View Post
    Congrats, very good choice! Did you purchase any software features, like Advanced One Touch IGF?
    I went with the standard software package (other than the probing software that comes with the probing/toolsetting package).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She is alive. Rough level is done and she is settling overnight for the final tweaks (hopefully) tomorrow.

4. Likes RF, Djstorm100, Harri89, SND, Mtndew and 6 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Installation is complete. Probing shipped today, as did my Orange vises from Maritool. That may have been a frivolity but it is going to seriously speed up changeovers between my main product line and the products I want to start selling in much higher volume.

I am programming my first part to cut in it tomorrow! We'll see how it goes; I've gotta prove out the post processor and such, but I have all weekend to play with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to start a brand war, but genuinely curious what made the Genos win out over the Speedio?

I looked at the Geno's for a little while, but they were NOWHERE near $99k when I looked at them... ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Not to start a brand war, but genuinely curious what made the Genos win out over the Speedio?

I looked at the Geno's for a little while, but they were NOWHERE near $99k when I looked at them... ???
    We have 3 Genos mills and a Brother. There really is no comparing the 2 machines. Each are better than the other in their own ways. Genos are going for about $125-ish right now I believe.

8. Likes 2outof3, Fal Grunt, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    We have 3 Genos mills and a Brother. There really is no comparing the 2 machines. Each are better than the other in their own ways. Genos are going for about $125-ish right now I believe.
    I have to agree, we have several of each. They both serve us well in their respective areas, but it's fully driven by the parts we want to run on them. If you only had one machine and needed to be able to do some of the larger parts, the Genos would be the ticket. If you already have that capacity and you want to pump out smaller parts faster, get the Brother.
    I prefer the OSP control by a long shot though. We also have an MB46 that we purchased before the Genos line was available and, for the parts we do with it, I couldn't tell you it's a better machine than the Genos (at twice the price comparing new to new). It has Super NURBS but we don't come close to reaching the need for that with the Hi-Cut.

10. Likes Mtndew, Fal Grunt, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is it. One machine, it had to cover everything even if it will be slower for the small parts. My plans include turning capability and a Speedio in the next 18 months to fill out my capability, but I have to up volume out the door to justify it.

The $99.9k special comes up from time to time along with the small lathe $54k special usually. Check around shows or open houses, or at fiscal year end (March for many dealers). This was the latter.

12. Likes Fal Grunt, XD341, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

A lot of folks I know with Speedios and Genos mills cross shopped between the two. They are both kind of the best machines in their respective class, built by companies that have sterling reputations, and imported/sold by high-quality organizations here in the US. As such, they tend to attract buyers with striking similar mentalities of wanting to step up form a Haas, but not quite seeing the value in the crazy high end/Eurotrash hardware.

My purchase decision came down to an M560 vs an S700, and I went with the S700 primarily because I need to do prototyping + production, and the Speedio is about 2x faster for my parts than a Genos. I design/build my own parts and they are relatively small, so this worked out perfectly for me.

If I was a job shop that needed to be able to quote as much work that came through the door as possible however, I would probably have gone with the M560 - larger envelope + more Z depth capability with the Big+ CAT40. I would subsequently also buy a Speedio so those jobs that turn into larger volumes can be banged out profitably.

If I was doing this all again today, I would probably be cross shopping an Speedio M200 against the M460 5AX, and the dynamic would be identical and I would probably wind up with the M200.

14. Likes empwoer, Vancbiker, Fal Grunt, 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    She is alive. Rough level is done and she is settling overnight for the final tweaks (hopefully) tomorrow.

I made a new pulley setup for my doors.. no door bounce and the both open at the same time.

Could easily convert it to autodoor using a clear path servo

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

16. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I made a new pulley setup for my doors.. no door bounce and the both open at the same time.

Could easily convert it to autodoor using a clear path servo

Can you share pics?
    having the doors separate has an advantage, I can clean one window and then push away the door and clean the other window without climbing in the machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaks View Post
    Can you share pics?
    having the doors separate has an advantage, I can clean one window and then push away the door and clean the other window without climbing in the machine.
    I'll take some pics next time I'm at the shop.

To clean the windows it's easy to just slip the pulley off.

I used timing pulley and belts with a bracket that fixes the belt in a loop

19. Likes Jmaks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    A lot of folks I know with Speedios and Genos mills cross shopped between the two. They are both kind of the best machines in their respective class, built by companies that have sterling reputations, and imported/sold by high-quality organizations here in the US. As such, they tend to attract buyers with striking similar mentalities of wanting to step up form a Haas, but not quite seeing the value in the crazy high end/Eurotrash hardware.

My purchase decision came down to an M560 vs an S700, and I went with the S700 primarily because I need to do prototyping + production, and the Speedio is about 2x faster for my parts than a Genos. I design/build my own parts and they are relatively small, so this worked out perfectly for me.

If I was a job shop that needed to be able to quote as much work that came through the door as possible however, I would probably have gone with the M560 - larger envelope + more Z depth capability with the Big+ CAT40. I would subsequently also buy a Speedio so those jobs that turn into larger volumes can be banged out profitably.

If I was doing this all again today, I would probably be cross shopping an Speedio M200 against the M460 5AX, and the dynamic would be identical and I would probably wind up with the M200.
    The M200 is on my wish list and I may add one to meet my turning needs instead of spending $65k on a lathe. Being able to prototype my parts that are 7+ setups prior to making fixturing to run on the S1000 would be a huge cost and time savings.

It was very painful just as the Corona crazies started, a M140 was auctioned about 2hrs from me. Fully loaded with all the options, had something like 400 spindle hours, fully tooled, went for a fraction of new. $53k was the last bid I saw.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I can't share the current part on the machine due to an NDA but the surface finishes off this machine are really, really nice. I made the first chips on Saturday... I forced myself to have a deadline (ship Monday) so I'd not take too much time figuring out things I didn't need to. I'm using the same tools and toolpaths as the Hurco and round things are rounder, flat things are flatter... you get the picture. She is peppy for such a large machine, too.

I had to read the manual some...

I splurged for a pair of 6"x20" Orange dual stations from Maritool. I also had to finally get a tool cart since I consolidated tooling from two different machines to this one. Okuma sends 20 TSC pull studs... that was nice!

I had my first training day Monday and got through everything I needed to know in a few hours, so we worked on the post processor and took a look at some other macro stuff so I can use manual probing macros for my Haimer in case I ever break the machine probe. Post seems pretty dialed in excepting one thing that doesn't really matter except to assuage my OCD tendencies.

Probing stuff got here Friday I'm just waiting for the install techs to be scheduled (which I'll have done around my production schedule which includes almost two weeks of catching up to do!

So far I am a super happy customer.

22. Likes Jmaks, DrHook, 2outof3, Cycle1000, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WOW!!!

Sure wish I were you......

Your machine might be a touch better than my Haas.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice hair!

25. Likes Booze Daily, 007Rob, Rick Finsta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Nice hair!
    Protohawk makes sense now!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The mohawk was invented by a guy who was just trying to get his sideburns even.

28. Likes Garwood, MotoX, as9100d, Rick Finsta, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Protohawk makes sense now!
    It also explains the rooster avatar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Well I can't share the current part on the machine due to an NDA but the surface finishes off this machine are really, really nice. I made the first chips on Saturday... I forced myself to have a deadline (ship Monday) so I'd not take too much time figuring out things I didn't need to. I'm using the same tools and toolpaths as the Hurco and round things are rounder, flat things are flatter... you get the picture. She is peppy for such a large machine, too.

I had to read the manual some...

I splurged for a pair of 6"x20" Orange dual stations from Maritool. I also had to finally get a tool cart since I consolidated tooling from two different machines to this one. Okuma sends 20 TSC pull studs... that was nice!

I had my first training day Monday and got through everything I needed to know in a few hours, so we worked on the post processor and took a look at some other macro stuff so I can use manual probing macros for my Haimer in case I ever break the machine probe. Post seems pretty dialed in excepting one thing that doesn't really matter except to assuage my OCD tendencies.

Probing stuff got here Friday I'm just waiting for the install techs to be scheduled (which I'll have done around my production schedule which includes almost two weeks of catching up to do!

So far I am a super happy customer.
    Curious if you don't mind me asking the "trivial" question. How do you like the Maritool cart? Is it US made or rebadged chinese? I absolutely love my lista cart, but I bought it (stole it... used from a surplus dealer) when I had a 40 taper mill. The 30 taper inserts will cost me more than the Maritool cart....

How does the footprint on the Okuma Genos compare with the S1000?

31. Likes as9100d liked this post