Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Maritool cart is a private-label Huot Tool Scoot. That is about all I've used - I looked at the Stor-Loc stuff at the old day job but you sure pay for the super high quality stuff. I'd think that if it was made domestically they would have that on the literature but I don't remember seeing it. That said, the thing is built well and fits together very well. It doesn't feel like a cheap cart. I think the $400 price tag is well worth it. Plus I like the green better than red LOL.

The Okuma is about twice the floor space as an S1000 and quite a bit taller. I will try to take a screenshot of my shop in CAD where I modeled up both. Also a Speedio will run on a 30A breaker no problem - this one is on a 150A. The majority of the rating actually comes from spindle regen. When this thing brakes it dumps power into the grid FAST I guess. Keep in mind it is also three times as powerful, and the torque curve is impressive.

Different tools in the toolbox, I think.

The logo is actually a "Hawk with Gear Comb," officially. When I play shows I go by "roost."

The real joke is, my last name is "Gallo."

2. Likes TeachMePlease, mountie, aarongough liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're really going to like finish passes and id circles with that machine. Same with hsm. The axis movements are very deliberate compared to say Haas or doosan.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    The Maritool cart is a private-label Huot Tool Scoot. That is about all I've used - I looked at the Stor-Loc stuff at the old day job but you sure pay for the super high quality stuff. I'd think that if it was made domestically they would have that on the literature but I don't remember seeing it. That said, the thing is built well and fits together very well. It doesn't feel like a cheap cart. I think the $400 price tag is well worth it. Plus I like the green better than red LOL.
    Just curious, I've had more than a few items recently that were badged "MADE IN USA" only to get them, and the parts are marked made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    The Okuma is about twice the floor space as an S1000 and quite a bit taller. I will try to take a screenshot of my shop in CAD where I modeled up both. Also a Speedio will run on a 30A breaker no problem - this one is on a 150A. The majority of the rating actually comes from spindle regen. When this thing brakes it dumps power into the grid FAST I guess. Keep in mind it is also three times as powerful, and the torque curve is impressive.

Different tools in the toolbox, I think.
    I'd be interested to see that. The breaker issue was a concern when I was shopping. I wanted a Mazak 720, since I had experience running those at a job, but between price, electrical, size, and dealing with Mazak, it was a short trip down that path.

I'm super thrilled with my S1000, but I did look at the Geno's, and just wanted to hear your thoughts since you went that route.

Stalled my S1000 yesterday for the first time. Torque curve is pretty small at 800 rpm

6. Likes Rick Finsta liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL yeah Speedios are FANTASTIC machines but they aren't 25hp 40 taper.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I'm super thrilled with my S1000, but I did look at the Geno's, and just wanted to hear your thoughts since you went that route.

Stalled my S1000 yesterday for the first time. Torque curve is pretty small at 800 rpm
    The 16k Brother is a good all around spindle. The 10k High Torque has 3-4 times the torque and still runs on a 30 Amp circuit. HT taps 3/4 NPT (aluminum), 1"-8 in steel and drills over 1.5" in steel without breaking a sweat. My two favorite Brother spindles are 10k HT and the 27k on the S300-S700.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    The 16k Brother is a good all around spindle. The 10k High Torque has 3-4 times the torque and still runs on a 30 Amp circuit. HT taps 3/4 NPT (aluminum), 1"-8 in steel and drills over 1.5" in steel without breaking a sweat. My two favorite Brother spindles are 10k HT and the 27k on the S300-S700.
    It is a great all around spindle. I rarely see anything beyond green on the spindle load. I was VERY surprised when I stalled it out.

If money were no object, it would have been a 10k dual contact. The 16k has been great for all the tiny tools I use, so while I wanted a 10k, the 16k has performed wonderfully with the variety of tools and materials I run.

10. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    It is a great all around spindle. I rarely see anything beyond green on the spindle load. I was VERY surprised when I stalled it out.
    Yes, your choice of words is much better than mine! The 16k is a great all around spindle. I am sure that is why it is the most popular! The extra rpm really helps with the smaller tools, chamfering and chewing through Aluminum etc..

12. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

congrats sir. We absolutely love ours.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations mate! I hope to have a machine like that in my shop one day!

I might have to upgrade my electrical though: 150A is more than my entire service!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    Congratulations mate! I hope to have a machine like that in my shop one day!

I might have to upgrade my electrical though: 150A is more than my entire service!
    When you run service, plan for expansion

I put in a 200A service, but everything was run to allow for a 400A.

16. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a quick update on some of this. I've been running some parts in 4140 at 41-44HRc and this thing is amazing. I'm having to play with the Hicut settings on some things but this thing absolutely dances running a high feed mill in this stuff, and my surface finishes are amazing. I'm seeing great dimensional stability over a production day so far. Only real bad news is I need to either get a bigger air conditioner or get the air compressor and dryer exhausting outside.

I am still waiting for the probing installation. Morris missed the window I had and now I've got parts that have to go out the door, so even though it is physically installed, the software and training will come sometime after June 8th it looks like.

Too bad I could really use tool breakage detection on these parts.

Only real regret is not buying the cabinet washdown. I have the hose hooked up to the spare pump (lift pump for an MP Systems high pressure system) and I've actually tripped the overload on one of the chip augers when I washed down too big of a swarf pile at once. I hasn't been an issue when running coolant, but when cutting dry the chips like to stick and pule up a bit.

18. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What kind of feedrates can you run consistently?

Just thinkin' OTOH it might be a bit better than a Haas......

20. Likes mkd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't run anything faster than 288ipm in actual production, but we did some testing on some 3D surfacing toolpaths at like 500ipm just to play with the Hicut parameters cutting air. I'm limited on SFM with the material right now other than the highfeed and the ball milling. I am also workholding limited since these parts have some tight features, so I'm cutting the two main data and then fixturing off those with an expanding mandrel clamp to cut everything else. It is working great but I had one part lift, destroying the clamp and the end mill early on in development and now I'm skittish LOL.

I've got some larger aluminum parts to run soon but I don't think I'll have the time to really push anything there.

22. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post

Just thinkin' OTOH it might be a bit better than a Haas......
    Speeds willl be the same as a Haas but the surface finish will be amazing compared to a Haas. Anything but a mirror finish is I difficult to produce.

24. Likes aarongough liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We run adaptive roughing at about 600IPM with 2000IPM connecting moves pretty consistently on our M560V. Been running the same parts 24/7 for months, it spends about 3 hours a day roughing. It does actually hit full speed on the profiles, and about 1200-1500 IPM on the retracts.

The biggest problem with productivity on these things is getting rid of all the damn chips. The ways and side panels are all horizontal, and the factory coolant is a joke.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An ex-Gosiger rep told me the Okuma will be able to read and execute code much faster than a Haas.

IDK, he used to sell them so.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An ex-Gosiger rep told me the Okuma will be able to read and execute code much faster than a Haas.

IDK, he used to sell them so.....
    FWIW I'm an ex Mazak and DMG MORI applications engineer.

99% of the time (IME) block reading speed, buffer, etc... is not the issue with slower than anticipated machine motion. Performance is driven by shape comp, nerbs, high cut, ATC, cycle 832, whatever you want to call it - good motion control and prediction at the controller. The really fast machines have good motion control strategies, paired with high performance and well tuned drives.

28. Likes mkd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    FWIW I'm an ex Mazak and DMG MORI applications engineer.

99% of the time (IME) block reading speed, buffer, etc... is not the issue with slower than anticipated machine motion. Performance is driven by shape comp, nerbs, high cut, ATC, cycle 832, whatever you want to call it - good motion control and prediction at the controller. The really fast machines have good motion control strategies, paired with high performance and well tuned drives.

Ahhh.....

So what is your take on Mazak vs. DMG Mori vs. Okuma.......??

I know it's rather oversimplifying things, but I am interested in hearing your tales.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahhh.....

So what is your take on Mazak vs. DMG Mori vs. Okuma.......??

I know it's rather oversimplifying things, but I am interested in hearing your tales.
    Ford, Chevy, Dodge. They all make some good cars, and they all make some junk.

I will say that DMG MORI is spending way more money than anybody else on new product development -and it shows. As a guy who likes machine tools, the new tech is pretty cool. But obviously I own an Okuma too, so having the most "advanced" products is only worth so much.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Speeds willl be the same as a Haas but the surface finish will be amazing compared to a Haas. Anything but a mirror finish is I difficult to produce.

i'm generally a fan of haas, but this is not true in my experience. for one, haas control only shows programmed speed, NOT the ACTUAL speed its cutting at, so right there is an unknown.
    2nd, haas will only hit advertised feed rates over long/straightish distances, small parts with lots of direction changes - good luck.

32. Likes mkd liked this post