What's new
What's new

New Machine Day - Okuma M560-V

Rick Finsta

Stainless
Well... New Machine Day's Eve.

I was insulating the attic of the shop this morning when we got a surprise delivery...

1588038774585537-0.png

It was in a van trailer so we had to get creative to pull it to the back and get it on the forklift, but we got it done without too much hassle.

Minutes later I got a call from the delivery driver for the VMC. He got to the shop around 1700 and I snapped a few pics real quick.

1588038757852396-2.png

1588038765414314-1.png

Riggers are scheduled for 0700 tomorrow.

Gonna be hard to sleep!

I have posted plenty of New Machine Day threads here, but this is the first brand new machine that I have bought personally.

I'm very interested to see how all goes for you with the machine. I started saving up for a 470 a little while ago. While I'm still probably about a year from being ready to pull the trigger I'm still curious.

Is that an upgraded conveyor? It looks very much like the one we had on our UMC750. It was crap for fines. :( DIdn't help the coolant tank was integral so a *good* cleaning was pretty much a no-go.

Is that an upgraded conveyor? It looks very much like the one we had on our UMC750. It was crap for fines. :( DIdn't help the coolant tank was integral so a *good* cleaning was pretty much a no-go.
That's the standard conveyor and it's total shit. Should have spent another $7000 and gotten the better one.

If you cut some volume of chips, you're going to be cleaning out your coolant tank very often.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's the standard conveyor and it's total shit. Should have spent another $7000 and gotten the better one.

If you cut some volume of chips, you're going to be cleaning out your coolant tank very often.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It works much better in the M560 than it does in older 46/56 models since the newer machines have an auger to at least slow the chip flow, but I agree, the sideways design and the fact that the conveyor only offers about 10-12 inches of width are very lacking with heavy volumes. We removed all of ours from our older machines MB46's) that used a coolant chip flush because for aluminum they were utterly useless. The standard chip pan is easier to deal with just taking a few minutes to scoop chips every few hours. We had to clean out the "overflow" basket every hour when doing heavy hogging because the coolant carried the chips right over the conveyor.

Our new machines all came in wrapped with a reflective packing and crated in a steel Angle frame as well. Was this a demo/floor model machine? Maybe some after-thought upgrades had to be installed in NC.

Lucky.... What kind of work are you going to do with it?

Mostly cutting 40-60% material out of 8"x2" 6061-T6511 extrusion from 16-32" long. Then a bunch of 30 taper work in between the main product jobs (smaller aluminum stuff). I can't WAIT to run this 2" inserted drill I've got.

Though I do have one project in process with some tight tolerances in hardened steel that will be fun.

It is the "Standard" conveyor that comes with the $99k sale package. Not sure if it comes standard at normal price but I would assume so. Most of the chips I make are pinky-nail sized from inserted roughers. It is listed as a $7k option but you can't buy the machine without it; only upgrade to something else.

Brand new, but not crated?????

It was uncrated in MN for accessory installation of some sort and then repacked and shipped to me. I chose this machine because it was about two weeks faster to my floor than anything coming out of NC.

A few notes:

1) The chip conveyor and the machine delivery drivers were FANTASTIC. I've dealt with a dozen or so machine deliveries in the last few years and these gentlemen were an absolute pleasure to work with.

2) P.W. Walsh is the most squared-away rigging outfit I've seen. They knocked out this offload and placement crazy quickly. I wish I had video of the "Austin Powers" move to spin the machine around. It would only fit one way through the door and that meant they had to spin it around inside with 23' wall to wall.

3) I painted the floor under the machine with Sherwin-Williams 8100 epoxy floor coating on Sunday at 0700. I cranked the temperature to 75*F overnight Sunday and Monday nights, and while the drywallers scuffed it a bit on Monday, by Tuesday the 35/55k pound forklift carrying an 18k+ pound machine didn't leave a mark. We used diamond pads on a floor scrubber to take of the old coating and they were shit. Next time we are going back to scuffing with scotch brite pads and that's it.

4) Sales guys that bring treats will always be more welcome than those who don't.

5) Having great neighbors is pretty cool. They were super welcoming and had no trouble letting the riggers use their property for the offload.

Install starts tomorrow.

Back