What's new
What's new

New machine day in Oregon

I can't hardly watch parts running on a vertical any more, moving from one setup to the next. I can't afford to do it that way either. Every single part we make (as long as it fits) will move to a 5 axis machine. I have 3 now, next one will have a pallet changer....

IMG_0430.jpg

I can't hardly watch parts running on a vertical any more, moving from one setup to the next. I can't afford to do it that way either. Every single part we make (as long as it fits) will move to a 5 axis machine. I have 3 now, next one will have a pallet changer....

View attachment 146302

You have 3 mx520s now?

I'm in the same boat. I run a ton of 3/4 op vertical parts on the 5 axis just because I dont have to worry about operator error for dimension or scratch/chip mark problems.

I have one VF-3 w/ 5axis trunnion and two MX's.

The accuracy is simply amazing on the new machines, and really has made most of our parts easy to make. The less we handle them, the better they are. Add a few probing cycles, push the button, come back with a near perfect part. If only running the business was that easy. Fat chance of that.

5 Axis with pallet changer is where it's at. Went to a few shops this past year that really understand how to make stuff and they all are moving that way. I know someone who just bought 2 setups like that.

I paid just under $300K. 12K Big Plus spindle, Loaded Fanuc 31, 60 tool mag, tool and work probe, TSC, Scales, Chip Conv.
As of now, we still use Surfcam (John Weldon's favorite). It's time we look at more powerful software though as we have found quite a few shortcomings when programming 4 and 5 axis toolpaths.

If you don't mind.. whats a 520 with probing come in at dollar wise?

I think you told me before, but are you using NX or...?

5 Axis with pallet changer is where it's at. Went to a few shops this past year that really understand how to make stuff and they all are moving that way. I know someone who just bought 2 setups like that.

Pallet changer with 20-40 parts yes.
2 parts To me is kind of a pita.

Back