What's new
What's new

New machine day! - Out with the old in with the new......

pcasanova

Hot Rolled
Our 465 was a workhorse in the shop for almost 20 years and made a lot of money.
But fixing some issues just wasn't worth it anymore.

p1.jpg

So, In with the new! Emco Douturn, 2 Spindles (65mm), 2 turret (both with y) and
the latest Siemens 840d w/ShopTurn 22" screen and I'm on the fence about touchscreen.
And scored a deal of 13 live axial tools for about 8k, should tool both turrets nicely.

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

Electrician tomorrow, off for the rest of the week and Emco on Monday for the install.
Cant wait...

Did you do any special prep for your foundation? That is crazy cheap for rotary tooling. Is that a new price, and who made them?

no prep, have a similar machine across the isle with no issues for 3 years.
The tooling is WTO. It was from a surplus dealer. according to him someone bought
a machine for a contract that fell through and sold the machine. The new buyer
didn't want the tools and the surplus guy ended with them. They are used but I
figure even if I spend a grand on new bearings and seals I'm way ahead of the game.
I just priced new ones before I saw the ones I got and they were about 6k each.
But yea I saw them and went straight to our GM and said this was a deal we can't
let get away from us.

Congrats on the new machine and you are right to have concerns about the touchscreen. Its a bit fragile so take good cautions when cleaning it. That 22" monitor works wonders for my blind ass so I try to keep em clean. Make sure you always use a clean towel and not a shop rag. I picked up one of the work bench that had a damn near microscopic aluminum chip in it and I swiped it diagonally and killed half the screen. the best I remember the new screen was about $2200 so had to stick with the mouse for a bit.

Love the new machine, and the rotary tooling deal is sweet.

Must say looking at the old machine that I like when people treat their machines like the precision tools they are. A 20 year old machine that looks well used and well maintained, treated like the money making tool that peoples business' depend on. Nice.

Can't stand machines that look like they were operated at the bottom of a coal mine. They always have the excuse "we're busy making parts !". Usually parts that are as sloppy as their machines. And a business to match.

Should see if you can find a screen protector on amazon to put on there. Even if it’s not a perfect fit it should help keep the screen scratch free.

Back