What's new
What's new

New Machine Day! Small Gang Lathe

Rick Finsta

Stainless
These aren't as exciting as when I had millions of dollars to spend of other peoples' money, but what the hell. I picked up a 1985 Takahashi Microstar TNC-L0 gang lathe for $1500 and it is getting delivered today. It has a 6k RPM spindle and FANUC 0T-B on it, and has a 5C collet chuck.

All I'm doing is cutting off DOM tubing spacers of different lengths, so this is perfect for my needs and will free me up from cutting these on my manual lathe. I can also make all my hardened T-Washer inserts in house which basically pays for the lathe on the first run. Whenever I actually need a more capable turning solution, I'm planning on buying new.

It was in generally good shape (though filthy, of course) and I've got a local guy for whom I do work that has been repairing these older machines for decades, and has a board-level repairman for these controls. Doesn't look like these older machines had macro variables, which is too bad considering all I really change from spacer to spacer is the length and outer diameter, and the number I'm cutting at a time.

I might get fancy and hook up one of those cheap eBay touch setters as a bar end sensor since I'll be feeding it headstock lengths of bar with a puller. We'll see.

I'll post pictures a bit later.

Just offloaded it. The manuals seem to indicate it has user macros enabled so I may need to futz around and see what parameters may have been turned off where I can't use the # key on the keypad. It may be that I have to bring programs in through the RS-232, or something else. I was surprised to see it actually has glass scales on it.

Just like the surface grinder I picked up, it needs a really good cleaning and I'm probably going to repaint them both as well.

1610390849275384-2.png

1610390853539319-1.png

1610390856964821-0.png

Time to get some parts cut and out the door and then I will probably be getting at the wiring and such after hours, maybe this weekend.

Nice!

I can't tell you how many times I thought it would be nice to have a little gang lathe. Seems like it would be super handy, for lots of simple parts. And second ops.

These aren't as exciting as when I had millions of dollars to spend of other peoples' money, but what the hell. I picked up a 1985 Takahashi Microstar TNC-L0 gang lathe for $1500 and it is getting delivered today.

Sometimes you can make more money with a $1500 machine of your own then running a million dollar machine someone else owns. More fun too.

Looks sweet! I'll bet it will be a handy little guy.

Just, don't paint it! Quickest way to ruin a machine.
It will look great. Until it looks worse than it did before the paint job.
Just my opinion. But, from what I see, that thing just needs a good scrubbing and a new key-pad.
The key-pad will do more for it than any paint job ever would.

Good luck, for $1500 you could easily get your money back parting it out if it has issues.

My experience with 0 controls is that you have to do all macro programming offline. As you can see on the keypad, there is no = or [].

Does your machine have a macro variable page? I *think* this might be an indication that macros are enabled.

I'm curious what kind of drawbar actuator that machine has on it. I think we looked at one a while ago but passed on it because it had the lever style actuators. We much prefer hydraulic cylinders for collet actuation. The lever ones tend to need very consistent stock size. It's a nice looking machine regardless.

Vancbiker it is a 0-TA. I'm gonna get it powered ASAP but finding the SEOOW locally has been difficult and I didn't want to pay McMaster prices.

Most of what I need this for is cutting off DOM tubing to different lengths for my in-house product line (torque plates).

I also use T-Washers that are hardened and pressed in for wear resistance on the plates, and I have had to buy them in the past. Moving those in-house would basically pay for this machine in one shot, and allow me to increase my offerings. Currently I have a few gaps (I don't have a 9/16" and 14mm size, for instance, I jump from 1/2" or 12mm to 5.8" or 16mm).

Fine, I won't paint it but it does need a scrubbing. Maybe as bad as *someone's* new Brother, eh?

The keypad does need replacement (not just the membrane) since the M key is very sticky.

The drawbar is hydraulic or pneumatic, I can't recall which right now.

I'm also going to have to decide on what style bar puller I want to run.

Fine, I won't paint it but it does need a scrubbing. Maybe as bad as *someone's* new Brother, eh?

Dude, I'm telling you! This thing is disgusting! Your little beast there looks brand-new and spotless inside compared to this.
My BFH which is 10 years older, runs production 15/5, and is absolutely covered in chips looks brand new compared to this.
Funny what a very reputable and experienced guy's idea of "about as clean as a used machine tool can be" really means.
And, isn't it awesome when they use years-old pictures in the description? I love that!
Bye the way: don't ever use cimcool in your Okuma! It will stain the inside of the cabinet to a nice disgusting brown, with sludge everywhere.

Vancbiker it is a 0-TA. I'm gonna get it powered ASAP but finding the SEOOW locally has been difficult and I didn't want to pay McMaster prices.

Most of what I need this for is cutting off DOM tubing to different lengths for my in-house product line (torque plates).

I also use T-Washers that are hardened and pressed in for wear resistance on the plates, and I have had to buy them in the past. Moving those in-house would basically pay for this machine in one shot, and allow me to increase my offerings. Currently I have a few gaps (I don't have a 9/16" and 14mm size, for instance, I jump from 1/2" or 12mm to 5.8" or 16mm).

The keypad does need replacement (not just the membrane) since the M key is very sticky.

The drawbar is hydraulic or pneumatic, I can't recall which right now.

I'm also going to have to decide on what style bar puller I want to run.

An hour in an ultra sonic will likely fix your keyboard. I recently started a thread on that.

I don't think it looks bad at all, AND for $1500, who is going to complain??! :D

I am with others, would not paint, just hit what you can get to with some degreaser, give her a good scrubbing and start making parts. Nice find, congrats.

Back