Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well my mother, who just retired in December and wants to start helping in the shop, got elbow deep into the 35 years of grime on this thing today. My nephew came over to finish cutting his Christmas present so with all that and some programming and cutting other parts I was too swamped today to test anything out. It is actually cleaning up pretty well.

I got a hold of my guy at Royal and he sent over some stuff but the PDF didn't work, so I'm following up on that. Due to the hinky way they had the rotation limited (by sticking a bracket around one of the air inlets, which had eroded to almost breaking through from smacking the steel every time the spindle started for years and years!) I need to replace an air quick connect fitting.

So here is a question - on this control is there a special way to program axis moves using least increment? The only time I've ever used it before is with G04 and then I tend to use an X argument instead of P so I can program it in seconds anyways.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post

So here is a question - on this control is there a special way to program axis moves using least increment? The only time I've ever used it before is with G04 and then I tend to use an X argument instead of P so I can program it in seconds anyways.
    Explain please?

also sorry my post above m w 0(any number you want) was for work position page to keep all my tools set just changing lengths of stock zero

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.......So here is a question - on this control is there a special way to program axis moves using least increment? ......
    If parameter 15 bit 7 is set to 0 then you can omit the decimal point and the control will work in the least input increment. Assuming .0001" is your LII, then a program command of Z-20000 will be a Z negative 2" move. When parameter 15 bit 7 is set to 1 and no decimal point is included in the programmed command then the value is regarded as an integer input, IE, Z-2 will move Z negative 2 inches.

4. Likes Rick Finsta, mountie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Explain please?

also sorry my post above m w 0(any number you want) was for work position page to keep all my tools set just changing lengths of stock zero
    Vancbiker had me covered.

I'm not tracking on that second part, though. I need some hand holding on a control this old without being able to find manuals.

Post Thanks / Like

Vancbiker had me covered.

I'm not tracking on that second part, though. I need some hand holding on a control this old without being able to find manuals.

I have a lot of 0T manuals in .pdf. Several training/programming manuals along with a bunch of Fanuc manuals: operators, parameters, options, etc. Give me an email address and I'll send them.

7. Likes Rick Finsta liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    I have a lot of 0T manuals in .pdf. Several training/programming manuals along with a bunch of Fanuc manuals: operators, parameters, options, etc. Give me an email address and I'll send them.
    I appreciate that! You PM inbox is full...

Post Thanks / Like

Inbox emptied.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So an issue that was evidently known to the original sellers, but not the guys I bought it from, has crept back up. I switched the wiring around to get the coolant pump running the right direction and now it won't come out of the standby mode. I can also hear a high frequency noise that sounds like it is coming from the X axis servo when it is in the standby state. When I power it down I do see a 401 error flash sometimes, and Diagnostic #700 bit 4 is on (a 1 instead of a zero).

I'm going to get a hold of the maintenance guy at the place who had it originally and see if he can help, but my CNC repairman friend is coming over to get the parameters backed up today and will take a look at it. He's been working on these old Fanuc controls since they were new LOL.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So an issue that was evidently known to the original sellers, but not the guys I bought it from, has crept back up. I switched the wiring around to get the coolant pump running the right direction and now it won't come out of the standby mode. I can also hear a high frequency noise that sounds like it is coming from the X axis servo when it is in the standby state. When I power it down I do see a 401 error flash sometimes, and Diagnostic #700 bit 4 is on (a 1 instead of a zero).

I'm going to get a hold of the maintenance guy at the place who had it originally and see if he can help, but my CNC repairman friend is coming over to get the parameters backed up today and will take a look at it. He's been working on these old Fanuc controls since they were new LOL.
    Did you swap the phases on the mains going to the machine or on the coolant pump itself?

12. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I swapped phases on the main.

So it doesn't look like there is really a servo issue, that is just something flashing up when the machine powers down.

The spindle amp isn't powering up. Might be a relay or something? I'm trying to get a hold of Takahashi to get a wiring diagram - the block diagram that came with the machine is useless.

110V is working, 24V is working, all three legs of the 3ph main look fine and the phase is now correct.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming everything is correct with the wiring such as Delta high leg if applicable....it's possible the machine is phase sensitive and someone in the past worked on the coolant pump and got the legs out of sequence.

If the machine had been running fine in the past but the coolant pump was backwards, personally I would just wire it up that way and swap phases on the pump or pump contactor

Also what is going on with the hydraulic pump rotation? could that not be making pressure with the mains swapped causing an open chain and then no spindle?

15. Likes mmurray70, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There aren't any hydraulics on this machine; the collet closer is pneumatic. I don't have a high leg - I've got 208-211V across all three phases and around 120V to ground from all three phases.

Switching phases doesn't seem to have any affect at all. For some reason the spindle amp isn't coming online and so the timer times out and won't engage the rest of the contactors (if that makes sense). I reached out to a few places that have sold these over the years, including the original importer, and have gotten a few calls back. Just waiting to see if one of the service techs has this information still laying around.

Post Thanks / Like

Blown fuse(s) to spindle amp????

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I took some time today and dug through things a bit. I heard back from Takahashi in Japan and they will be getting back with me "Monday" (so late tomorrow here in the States) so good on them for at least answering emails about such an old machine!

I started tracing things though the cabinet, and testing individual components. Fuses are good, contactors are good, some overload relays and other smaller relays check out, but for some reason some of the contactors aren't pulling in when I *think* they are supposed to. I've got two more overloads to check out and a few more signals to track down.

I also discovered that they had two buck boost transformers still wired in - I missed that they were still connected my first go around, but pulled them out. Supply voltage was 184V further into the machine. Now everything is up at 210V. I wasn't doing anything other than jogging stuff around so I doubt the low voltage did any damage.

Still looking for anyone that has actual 0T-A manuals. The later C version manuals are useful for a few things but I'm finding a lot of differences.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I want to back up the parameters and PMC on this machine before I did into the power-up issue much further. Holding the left two soft keys on boot up isn't working - how do I get to the menu that lets me output the Parameters and PMC? None of the mode keys work so I can't go to EDIT mode to punch them out using O9999 or whatever that crazy mess is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I want to back up the parameters and PMC on this machine before I did into the power-up issue much further. Holding the left two soft keys on boot up isn't working - how do I get to the menu that lets me output the Parameters and PMC? None of the mode keys work so I can't go to EDIT mode to punch them out using O9999 or whatever that crazy mess is.
    Go to the parameter page and press output start. I know on a C model if you hold ; (EOB) while hitting output it also punches out the 900s.

Go the the DIA page and press output the same way you would for parameters. I don't know if you can punch the PMC on a model A

The diagnostics is the PMC parameters 300s

I actually just punched them out today since I've changed a lot of parameters since my last backup. You can never have too many backups!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think you can punch PMC on the Model A.

I took pictures of all the pages as a "just in case" backup but it would make me feel better to have an electronic copy. I got one of the DNC Eco devices from the guy in Vietnam that was supposed to be here today, but USPS decided not to deliver. So much for that old slogan of theirs.

I traced a bunch of signals and I have found the cause of the Spindle Amp (it is actually a Mitsubishi inverter) and main board not getting power is on the M2 (DO or D0) connector on the main board. I need a second person in the shop to see if the main board is outputting the signal or not. I think so, and my guess is one of the contactor/overload combos is going to be at fault here. We'll see. I meant to grab a picture of a part number to order one up but forgot. There is always tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You've not even had this on your floor for 3 weeks yet, and you are expecting sumpthing in from 'Nam already?

Good grief, a fella in Sask just finally got a pkg the other day that I sent out on 12/4!
    That was a solid 6 weeks!
    And you're holding your breath for the Pony Express?
    I hear that they've been "haulin' the mail", but mostly around in circles....

I wonder if it would'a got there quicker if it had Merry Christmas coloures all over it?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha!

It looks like he actually has these stateside and Amazon distributes them for him but they deliver to the local USPS office and it goes from there. All deliveries at this shop can be spotty - it has an odd address (think fire department coordinates) and it is just the neighbor and me as M1 industrial zoned and everything around us is residential. So even UPS doesn't deliver here until mid afternoon, even for red deliveries (guaranteed by 1030). Waiting on tooling for a job usually means cleaning the shop and knocking out odd projects until 1400 when the drills show up and I can get to work.

At least the billing/shipping address thing has been resolved. No more aluminum extrusion showing up at my house.

I've traced the missing signal back to the "SA" grounding pin on the main board which should be "a Servo Ready" signal. So I think next step is clean the brushes on the analog servos? I'm guessing a dogless zero return on this is similar to how it was on my old 0i-MB if I disconnect the encoder wiring to check for bad connections?

It looks like the three most likely culprits (based o my internet searching skills and reading some later version manuals) are:
    1) E-stop circuit interrupted somewhere - I don't think this is it because if I hit the EStop it kicks out the main contactor and shows an alarm on the screen.
    2) Axis limit switch - I don't think this is it since I can see the axes are off their switches, but I'll try jiggling the switches and see if that does anything. Maybe bad wiring here as well?
    3) Problem with a servo or amp - evidently there were issues with the Z-axis servo or drive so this is where I'm thinking it is going to be. Servo is a A06B-0641-B011 and was supposedly rebuilt by previous owners who thought the issue was in the servo amp.

Time to make some money so this goes on the back burner until tomorrow I think.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok I lied and kept working on it.

Looks like the servos and everything are fine, and the limit switches and E-stop systems are working fine.

It is something in the startup sequence so I'll have to pull a few other contactors and bench test them. None of them feel stuck but that doesn't mean much.