What's new
What's new

Hardinge VMC II with Geared Head - Shift Codes?

Ox

Diamond
Running a job right now where it is shifting to low gear to drill a 7/16 hole in 1/8" alum, and then to high gear to run a 3/16 mill.
Taking too much time shifting gears when it's not needed, but I can't find the secret handshake to force it to stay in high.

Now I have the Siemens control, but if you have one with a Fanuc - it could possibly be the same M code?
So at least let me know what you use.

But hopefully someone has one with a Siemens.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

IME, it is very rare for a machining center to have M codes for gear changes. Almost always, the gear selection is handled within the ladder and the S code is used in the logic to determine range choice.

Are you running that 7/16 drill so slow in aluminum that it shifts to low? That drill should be fine at 3k RPM or a bit more. Is that speed low range on your machine?

I'd not even drill if the material is only 1/8". Just helical mill it out. Avoids the speed change and toolchange. Also one less tool to set up.

Yes, it automatically decides, but other geared head mills that I have or had over the years - you can force a high range in a slower speed.
I guess both that I am thinking of are Cinci's, but ...

???

I may be able to bump it up over the threshold this time, but it would still be nice to know the secret handshake.

3000's getting pretty proud for 7/16 - no ???
My 1990 Titex book shows HSS in alum @ 205, and 3000 would be up around 350.

You guys run them that hot???

edit:

I bumped it to 2250 and it stays in high, but now I need to go strip out the canned cycle and G code that tool as the control sits and thinks about it's own canned cycles too long! :rolleyes5:

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

.....3000's getting pretty proud for 7/16 - no ???

Taking into consideration the rest of the scenario...

7/16 drill in 1/8" material. Assuming good coolant coverage. I'd go 400SFM.

Every CNC lathe I've run that had manual gear changes used M38 thru M45 for that purpose. I know on the Okumas with two speed motors you can use M41 or M42 to force the machine to stay in high or low winding. Obviously it's still limited by the frequency range of the drive.

3000's getting pretty proud for 7/16 - no ???

Don't ask wheelieking - He'd run that drill wide-open, whatever number that is... :eek: (And many more like him too...)

I know it's not a Hardinge or Seimens, but who knows, maybe it'll help you?

On a Haas M41 & M42 will keep the machine from shifting gears.

I use these codes when rigid tapping to keep the machine from shifting into low range.

M42 keeps it in high & M41 keeps it in low.

m40 auto gear select
m41 - m45 gear range (default)

those were default siemens m-codes, but if Hardinge used them or did their own thing don't know

Back