What's new
What's new

Using coolant with manual indexer in CNC mill

SMT

Hot Rolled
I searched but didn't really see what I was looking for.

I picked up a Phase2 super spacer indexer and I'm wondering how it will fare if I put it in a cnc mill and run flood/high pressure coolant.

It doesn't appear to be sealed which is what's prompting the question.

Is it just a matter of breaking it down for some cleaning and maintenance once in a while after doing so or will a single drop of coolant melt the thing down into a puddle of Chinesium?

It should work like a Submarine with a screen door.....;)

You could probably seal it (somewhat) with a strip of rubber and some wire ?

I wouldn't worry about it? The thing is cheap.

We've got (real, and old) superspacers here that we use on occasion. I've never had one apart aside from changing an index plate, and they have no problem turning when you try to index it.

I mean, yours is chinesium like you said, so it might rust solid tomorrow. But I doubt it.

If your coolant isn't making other things rust, then it should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it? The thing is cheap.

We've got (real, and old) superspacers here that we use on occasion. I've never had one apart aside from changing an index plate, and they have no problem turning when you try to index it.

I mean, yours is chinesium like you said, so it might rust solid tomorrow. But I doubt it.

If your coolant isn't making other things rust, then it should be fine.

That's a valid point. I suppose if I ever started having issues with it I could disassemble, clean/grease and put it back together. It's not like it's going to be submerged.

I would soak it in some kerosene after use and then blow it off, then pump it with oil if it has fittings after a couple days. Any coolant mixture trapped inside is going to have the water evaporate out of it and cause rust.

Back