What's new
What's new

New Machine(s) Day: Speedio Mafia

Rick Finsta

Stainless
We got a few more customers on board and some purchase orders are coming in that overwhelm our capacity, plus we have a special project with Yamazen's new automation division for an in-house product that we support.

So... We just got an S1000X1 with the 10k High Torque and dual contact, an R650X1 with the same, and a pair of M140X2s that are getting paired up with a Nachi robot cell and conveyor load/unload system. We also got a Mitutoyo CMM as part of the package deal with Yamazen.

First we made some space! We also have another turning center coming in (next week?) and we're moving our other turning center as well.

20190502_081741.jpg

We love seeing those big metal crates!

20190502_072823.jpg

The R650X1

20190502_092606.jpg

20190502_153541.jpg

S1000X1

20190502_124734.jpg

M140X2s

20190502_124707.jpg

20190502_092710.jpg

ROBOT CELL!

20190502_125957.jpg

Pay no attention to the Mori; her days are numbered!

20190502_124750.jpg

Mitutoyo CMM (500mm I think?)

20190502_061543.jpg

Super excited to see some of these run. We have part quantities in the hundreds of thousands at first and we're looking at upwards of a half million for some business we're going after. Once we've proven out the first R650X1 we have planned for the capacity of tow more by year's end. Out turning centers our packed with work right now and I'm thinking we'll be adding another Swiss before the year's end as well.

We're gonna need a few more programmers I think!

You're gonna need a new building just to store all the finished parts coming out of those bad boys. Congrats on the new iron!

Sincerely,
An extremely jealous machinist

Friggin awesome!

Someday I’m going to park a M140 next to my s1000.

Hell of a setup you have there!

CONGRATS!

Half a million parts with what nr/type of machines ??
Interested and jealous minds like to ask.

Super excited to see some of these run. We have part quantities in the hundreds of thousands at first and we're looking at upwards of a half million for some business we're going after. Once we've proven out the first R650X1 we have planned for the capacity of tow more by year's end. Out turning centers our packed with work right now and I'm thinking we'll be adding another Swiss before the year's end as well.

We're gonna need a few more programmers I think!

Congratulations on both the machines and the business opportunity. BUT, what about R650X2???? (sorry, just waiting for someone to bring one in and report their experiences :)).

Continued success!!

Fred

That's a hell of a setup!

I'm deploying a 750k a year part across 5 S300 cells; 2 machines with a robot between them. The sort of productivity this can unlock is absolutely absurd. All the better if you can get it done-in-one.

Very clean and nice layout.

I love the picture of the clock with the Brother machines. A few sarcastic, don't you think? How cares about time now? ;)

Congratulations!

I wend to look at your website, and it says "Website coming early 2018."

protohawk

Ever do any medical device work?

Funny enough I've done ISO 13485 work but that's in my past life as a biochemist. Protohawk is the company I started in my garage that got me noticed by the guys buying the shop that is now my day job, which is where all this is happening. My poor Sharp SV-2412 mostly sits idle now since I can rent machine time on any of the shop's Brothers LOL.

The day job is ACI Industries, LLC. We are gearing up for medical/aerospace in the next few years; for now we won't shy away from anything tough (I'd love to feed our Matsuura with some real 5-axis work!) but we're only holding an ISO QC9001:2015 accreditation for quality systems.

Congratulations on both the machines and the business opportunity. BUT, what about R650X2???? (sorry, just waiting for someone to bring one in and report their experiences :)).

Continued success!!

Fred

LOL maybe for the other two that are on the floor plan. That machine is getting a single 200k/year part and a handful of 10-30k/year parts for a large stamping house that need secondary operations. Mostly drill/tap where the quantities don't justify adding tapping to the tool. So no need for the 40 tool changer!

Sweet.
And KMA to the BT40 slow machine lovers :D

Funny enough we have a stack of Hurco VMX42i machines over in the toolroom area that are meant for the learning center and we beat up on them all the time for being slow. BUT until we had the S1000 with the 10k high torque, we didn't have anything that could do what they do. Same goes for the old Mori MV-40 still on the shop floor; we had a few parts that wouldn't fit into the work envelop of the S700s with our quick change fixturing on them.

I'll grab some more pictures today when I've got time. Gotta get the swiss running on another part first. Here's the CMM after placement.

20190506_141711.jpg

The R650 and S1000 are installed and running and the tech is working on the 140s now. Training for the CMM is going on in the next room (I can hear them since we had to pull some ceiling tiles to clear the Z axis LOL).

Awesome, looks like you guys have a nice shop I love how you have another new machine day thread what seems like every other week haha must be fun playing with new stuff all the time.

The R650 and S1000 are installed and running and the tech is working on the 140s now. Training for the CMM is going on in the next room (I can hear them since we had to pull some ceiling tiles to clear the Z axis LOL).

Good luck with the training, we picked up what looks like almost the same CMM last summer (strato-apex 574 here) and the software is brutal when you're used to modern CAD/CAM programs. If you want to bust the balls of the Mitutoyo guys a bit, ask them why the mounting holes in the grid plate they supply don't actually line up with the mounting lugs in the table?

Yeah we are lucky to have the capital backing the project for sure. What's organic growth? Starting next week things are going to get CRAZY. I'm moving back over to mill work pretty soon from the Swiss (which has been a PITA lately with a lot of short runs of deceivingly hard parts) and the raw materials are starting to roll in by the gaylord.

I'm just waiting for our main QA guy to get trained up to the point where I can contract for some cylinder head digitizing that I need to do for a buddy. We have a cool project where we are going to get 3D printed casting cores made to make 4-10 sets of crazy bespoke heads for an engine nobody but us cares about.

I'll be sure to give the Mitutoyo guys some grief for that... we were actually going to make our own fixtures since we have a fleet of machines that make crazy accurate holes really fast LOL.

Yeah we are lucky to have the capital backing the project for sure. What's organic growth? Starting next week things are going to get CRAZY. I'm moving back over to mill work pretty soon from the Swiss (which has been a PITA lately with a lot of short runs of deceivingly hard parts) and the raw materials are starting to roll in by the gaylord.

I'm just waiting for our main QA guy to get trained up to the point where I can contract for some cylinder head digitizing that I need to do for a buddy. We have a cool project where we are going to get 3D printed casting cores made to make 4-10 sets of crazy bespoke heads for an engine nobody but us cares about.

I'll be sure to give the Mitutoyo guys some grief for that... we were actually going to make our own fixtures since we have a fleet of machines that make crazy accurate holes really fast LOL.

As a car guy myself working on a platform without a lot of aftermarket support that sounds cool as hell!

I spent some time after hours figuring out how to measure some of my engine parts and it ended up being a good exercise to teach me more about running the CMM and give me some good questions for the training people.

Please keep us updated on how that project works out for you, I've been researching here and there on how you can 3d print wax cores for casting and wondering how feasible it would be for a short run of intake manifold or cylinder head type parts. So many possibilities...

Back