Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Easy, I don't hire folks that think all parts are the same as aerospace parts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    That's too bad. I started in a small production (and a few jobs) shop. When I went to work in aerospace I was amazed at how loose requirements were, whether machining tolerances or inspection requirements.
    Your system should tell people what is required. After that, parts are parts.
    I've made heart valve parts, aerospace parts, sporting goods parts, automotive and powersports parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    That's too bad. I started in a small production (and a few jobs) shop. When I went to work in aerospace I was amazed at how loose requirements were, whether machining tolerances or inspection requirements.
    Your system should tell people what is required. After that, parts are parts.
    I've made heart valve parts, aerospace parts, sporting goods parts, automotive and powersports parts.
    I keep hearing of people saying aerospace is loose work but that's certainly not the case in my shop.

Maybe that's how we keep getting LTA's and growing.... By not sending out garbage.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I keep hearing of people saying aerospace is loose work but that's certainly not the case in my shop.

Maybe that's how we keep getting LTA's and growing.... By not sending out garbage.

Yeah, you're very special. You are the only one.
    Digital self-gratification much?
    I'm sure you're bigger, stronger, your machines are better, and superior in all respects.
    Feel better?

You're like a college sophomore measuring contest.

4. Likes g-coder05, CAMasochism, boosted, Hodge liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Naw just gets old seeing folks make stuff up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After doing medical implants I'd say the actual paperwork load on the operators is much higher than aerospace. The amount of paperwork per part number never varied but there was a lot, and if you missed one initial or signature you got retrained once then written up. I hate production work, add paperwork to it and it's even worse! Scrapping a part/parts included more paperwork.

But...done to the print, a part is a part.

7. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Amanor View Post
    Hi guys,

The shop that I work at is currently a job shop and they want to start getting into aerospace cutting aluminum, Titanium, and stainless steel. I have not done any machining in the aerospace field so what kind of things should I expect when programming and machining. I know there is a broad spectrum on this and we don't have very large machines so it'll be small parts for now. I am just curious on what others say and if they have any tips for me.
    These are some pages from a survey from a Tier1 supplier to JPL/NASA.

You may have to fill one out depending on the parts your going to make, and who your making them for.

x1.jpgx2.jpgx3.jpgx4.jpgx5.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see anyone here making anything up. Lots and lots of us here have years of experience in aerospace.
    I worked on F16, F18, prototype to F-22, shuttle, Atlas, Atlas-Centaur, Tomahawk, advance cruise missile programs, and several other that I can't remember.
    Other people on here have likely done way more than I.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure you're bigger, stronger, your machines are better, and superior in all respects.
    Feel better?

You're like a college sophomore measuring contest.

Post of the week right there!!!!

I'm starting to think the OP knows more about aerospace machining than this kid.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I make inspection tooling for the company this survey came from. I don't make flight hardware for them as it would have taken too much work, time and expense to bring the shop into compliance, especially as it's just me.

x6.jpgx7.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see anyone here making anything up. Lots and lots of us here have years of experience in aerospace.
    I worked on F16, F18, prototype to F-22, shuttle, Atlas, Atlas-Centaur, Tomahawk, advance cruise missile programs, and several other that I can't remember.
    Other people on here have likely done way more than I.

Not sure where you are going? ..

Ironic (or maybe not?) I've done prototype builds for drone (military) engines where we needed zero paperwork.... and non-flight critical aero stuff where we needed mat'l certs, FAIR docs, etc etc....

We actually had some military drone bodies in the testing stations for that job! I won't name names ....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Not sure where you are going? ..

Ironic (or maybe not?) I've done prototype builds for drone (military) engines where we needed zero paperwork.... and non-flight critical aero stuff where we needed mat'l certs, FAIR docs, etc etc....

We actually had some military drone bodies in the testing stations for that job! I won't name names ....
    I was responding to as9100d's assertion that people were making stuff up - as though no one else here had his level of experience on aerospace parts. My point was that I had several years of aerospace, and I didn't see anyone in this thread making stuff up. I didn't own the company for most of my aerospace experience, but did work as a source inspector for General Dynamics, as well as a machinist, QC manager for a tier 1 supplier to General Dynamics, manufacturing engineer, etc, etc, etc. I think my saying "parts are parts, just make stuff to the print" seems to as9100d as making stuff up. Might have been something else though. Accusing people of making stuff could could also be interpreted as accusing them of lying - although this is the internet.

When I worked for General Dynamics as a source inspector I found a FAIR for a a major assembly master tool had been bought off by my boss - based on paperwork. He just made sure all the sheets of paper were there, but didn't verify a single dimension. This led to a problem when the missile would not load into the tube. In retrospect, I wish I had handled things differently, and nailed his stuff to the wall.

I also want to say I have a lot of appreciation for posters on this forum. Last year when I could only work about half-time (during the chemo cycles etc) I spent a fair amount of time reading here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe that's because aerospace entails a wide variety of parts and tolerance requirements? I would be willing to bet that your company only does a very small percentage of the aerospace parts made in the US. Meaning most likely people posting here are not "making stuff up" or "sending out garbage". But rather are making different parts and have different requirements.

15. Likes jaguar36, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    Maybe that's because aerospace entails a wide variety of parts and tolerance requirements? I would be willing to bet that your company only does a very small percentage of the aerospace parts made in the US. Meaning most likely people posting here are not "making stuff up" or "sending out garbage". But rather are making different parts and have different requirements.
    Valids points and I can see your point of view with the exception that my shop is about a 60/30/10 split on aerospace/DOD/FFL related items

Aerospace requires lots of overhead, the other two do not.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bushings are Bushings.

18. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Bushings are Bushings.
    Well...if it's the wrong bushing it's not the right bushing...but they still are bushings

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About every article you see in the trade magazines about machine shops states "aerospace" as one of the industries they serve.

If so many shops are doing it, it couldn't be that much like rocket science...?

Sure, there is a lot of paperwork, traceability, accountability, record-keeping, etc., but I would think you just add those required hours into the quote...??

If your competition wants to do all that crap for free, let them. Find something else to quote...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Well...if it's the wrong bushing it's not the right bushing...but they still are bushings
    If two identical Bushings are made, and one goes on a Big Wheel and the other goes on the navigation pull-down in the cockpit of the Red Barons fighter------they are still identical aside from the traceability requirements.

R

22. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    If two identical Bushings are made, and one goes on a Big Wheel and the other goes on the navigation pull-down in the cockpit of the Red Barons fighter------they are still identical aside from the traceability requirements.

R
    What's the difference in angstroms between the 2...that's the real deal breaker

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    What's the difference in angstroms between the 2...that's the real deal breaker
    If Angstroms are called out, I'll build you the fucking part!!! If not then take your ball and go home.

R

25. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I once made a part for a drone....therefore I have an aerospace shop