What's new
What's new

New (to me) Machine Day- Hurco VM20

e-fishin-c

Cast Iron
5A4E9383-F720-4602-846F-E49F1644BB2E.jpgFinally jumped in head first into the CNC milling game. Today was delivery day.
A little background, I started a hydraulic repair shop with my wife in 1978 on a shoestring budget in the back of my FIL sheet metal shop doing hydraulic jacks, cylinders, troubleshooting and road service work. In the forty odd years of toil and sweat equity we’ve worked our way up the food chain to a hustling bustling small 4 man (includes wife in office) shop complete with hose/tube fabrication, welding, machining cylinder parts and fittings, all complimenting our mainstream forte’ of cylinder valve and pump rebuilding.
Hoping this machine will be a good addition to our shop. Got a pretty good deal with some tooling, and the previous owner works down the street from our shop. Looking forward to getting some private tutoring once we get this guy put back together, air plumbed and wired. Shouldn’t be too bad of a learning curve as I have a CNC Fryer 21x60 lathe, and have been doing well with that conversational control. Something else to play with.8803CD6A-C350-42EC-B9C9-4C4815ABBD92.jpg

This machine was up and running when I bought it, hoping for a seamless addition to our shop but always looking for some constructive input, if any of you guys have suggestions or comments as a newbie I’m all ears.

I really would like to have someone come in to give it a once over, is there something I need to hone in on this type of machine. It is about 8 yrs old and was used for aluminum making small production runs in a job shop. The previous owner did disclose it sounded a bit loud during rapid Z (left to right) movement so I will have it looked over after it gets cleaned up and running.
I did notice also Billybog has a thread relating to a belt replacement on the spindle, is that something that needs replacing on a schedule or just upon inspection.

While you have someone giving it a once over...and while the way covers are pulled back check all lube lines are working,line condition,injectors should probably be replaced...

Disclaimer
I know nothing about Hurco lubrication system but I am presently repluming a 20 year old Kitamura

3mm line .65 ft
injectors 18.00 ea
compression sleeves ,bushing,tube inserts.. less then 2.00 per end of each run..

LUBEUSA.com. BTW their website is not user friendly..I had to talk to tech..
Regards

While you have someone giving it a once over...and while the way covers are pulled back check all lube lines are working,line condition,injectors should probably be replaced...

Disclaimer
I know nothing about Hurco lubrication system but I am presently repluming a 20 year old Kitamura

3mm line .65 ft
injectors 18.00 ea
compression sleeves ,bushing,tube inserts.. less then 2.00 per end of each run..

LUBEUSA.com. BTW their website is not user friendly..I had to talk to tech..
Regards

;).....Thx, Great advice. That’ll be the on the list first thing after my electrician completes his thing.

Left/right is "X".
If noisy, and if the ball screw appears to be getting lube, then you likely just need thrust bearings ... someday.
They can sound like a penguin in rapid and still make good parts.
Prolly not an expense needed to be assumed right away.

I'd like to think that an 8 yr old machine is turn key.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Running aluminum isn’t necessarily easy-peasy on a machine, as the spindle is usually running maxed-out on RPM’s (and thus often horsepower).

This ~can~ shorten the life of the spindle bearings and drive, and if it’s an integral spindle, rebuild/replacement is very salty (expensive!).

ToolCat

Never see a machine that has spent its life cutting Ti and Stainless.
Must be easy on the machines.

Aluminum must be some Tough Stuff to wear peoples machines out to the point
that they need to sell them constantly.

:skep:

Running aluminum isn’t necessarily easy-peasy on a machine, as the spindle is usually running maxed-out on RPM’s (and thus often horsepower).

This ~can~ shorten the life of the spindle bearings and drive, and if it’s an integral spindle, rebuild/replacement is very salty (expensive!).

ToolCat

Exactly true - every time I see "only ever ran aluminium" in a machine description I read it as "ran balls to the wall 24-7 since it was installed". Probably not a single bearing, ballnut, or linear truck in the thing with any preload left and spindle motor / amp on borrowed time from running full tilt with the load meter pegged all day every day.

Plastics too...

I think that is why the spindle in my little Sharp is in such great shape - it cut nothing but 304 stainless for 9000 hours, and the spindle was probably never much above half speed LOL.

I always think the same when looking at a screw machine that was running brass.

One that ran S/S would be in MUCH better shape!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Left/right is "X".
If noisy, and if the ball screw appears to be getting lube, then you likely just need thrust bearings ... someday.
They can sound like a penguin in rapid and still make good parts.
Prolly not an expense needed to be assumed right away.

I'd like to think that an 8 yr old machine is turn key.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, I’m hoping it’ll be mostly turnkey once this gets online. The previous owner was running parts the night before doing a personal project before the riggers showed up last week.
PO did mention it could be a bearing, thinking the worse I figure it could be a ballscrew but I’ll cross that bridge after I check out the lube lines.
And thanx OX I need to get my X’s and Y’s straightened out:nutter:

Yes, I’m hoping it’ll be mostly turnkey once this gets online. The previous owner was running parts the night before doing a personal project before the riggers showed up last week.
PO did mention it could be a bearing, thinking the worse I figure it could be a ballscrew but I’ll cross that bridge after I check out the lube lines.
And thanx OX I need to get my X’s and Y’s straightened out:nutter:

My comment above about "only ever run aluminium" meaning worn out was more of a passing comment on peoples perceptions, rather than actual fact.

Like OX said, a noisy axis in a cnc machine is thrust bearings nine times out of ten - a cheap and easy fix, and not usually a show stopper anyway. You'd be pretty unlucky to have to replace the screw.

Finally got the Hurco wired and fired up after a super busy work load. Spent the day pulling way covers, vacuuming and wiping down the under carriage. Never would have imagined that much stuff could collect, especially when the previous owner told me he didn’t use an air hose near the covers. Found only alum swarf.
The x ball screw in question looked new by eye and the oil lines were all intact so I’m gonna go with what I have till some machine learning time Is under the belt. Then I’ll call in the pros to evaluate that noisy function. Holy shit are those rapidS screaming fast. I want to say it’s listed at 950 IPM. My cnc tool room lathe is only 400. I also love the quick 3 second tool changes.

6F7782DA-9BA4-4252-9B47-43BB6E87CB0F.jpg

In my (albeit limited) experience, Hurcos are TERRIBLE for chip management. After cleaning out my conveyor Friday and looking at your pictures... I'm afraid I'll have to pull the covers when I recommission my VM10i at the new shop in a few weeks.

If you think a Hurco rapids fast I've got some videos of my Speedio programs that will make you shit your pants LOL.

If you need any help at all please don't hesitate to reach out. I trash talk Hurcos all the time but they are quite capable of making us a lot of money. And at least they aren't a Haas.

:D

Back