What's new
What's new

New to me Takisawa TC-2 wont execute code Fanuc 3T

MotoX

Cast Iron
I bought a compact machine for the home shop from a guy in Kansas. When I drove up to inspect it he had it un-wired and moved into the corner for space. He had a recent video of the machine running properly without issue.

Machine is a 1985 Takisawa TC-2, with a Fanuc 3T-C control.

20210510_210303.jpg20210425_095204.jpg

After i got the machine home, wired and fired, Everything seems to work(chuck, tailstock, lube, coolant, spindle, X&Z axes), but no matter what I cannot get the control to execute code in MDI or AUTO. Hitting the cycle start button just illuminates a "?" light on the control panel, and the machine does nothing. In the manual the "?" light is labeled "operation error". It will not operate with any of my code or the programs left on the machine. The screen shows no alarms.

20210510_205433.jpg20210509_145432.jpg

Its acting like a door switch or lube switch isn't happy. If this machine has either, I cant find them.

I do not have a ladder diagram or wiring schematic for this machine. I only have the base operator manual and the basic Fanuc programming manual. I also found the a fanuc maintenance manual in pdf.

Ive spent some time in the diagnostic screen, although i don't really know what each diag number stands for. I actuated all the controls on the panel while looking though the diag screens trying to spot a changes in bits. As far as I can tell, it seems that all the controls work properly.

I have already re-seated all the connections on the main board, with no change. I changed the batteries even though there was no battery alarm.

20210510_190529.jpg

Anything else I should check? I feel like this may a lost cause without a ladder, but I'm hoping someone here can shed some light for me.

What about the chuck open/close? I have a TC-1 with 0T control, and if I forget to close the collet, I think it just hangs there like you describe.

The spindle works fine, wont spin unless the chuck and key are in proper position.

The machine homes/references just like it is supposed to. Just no code.

Turret indexes fine with the button om the control panel.

This 3t has the alarm page, and it shows no alarm.

I can upload a pic or video when i get back home if need be.

And a ladder diagram. Trying to get or keep an old machine going without these documents is nearly impossible. A machine without them is essentially only worth scrap price unless you can get them from an identical machine or the builder.

I was hoping you would see this thread and reply. I'll have to try my best to see what i can come up with. Thanks for the input.

Long shot -- this happened to my 1980 Mori Seiki SL-2B when I had it moved in.

There might be a switch in one of the electrical cabinets called "Door Interlock" or such. In one position, it allows the machine to function normally. In the other position, it prevents the machine from running commands, either MDI or Auto.

My machine is Yasnac, so this is the longest of shots, but maybe Takisawa took some cues from Mori Seiki.

Regards.

Mike

My Hitachi has a 3T control.After homing X and Z you have to extend the tailstock quill then hold the retract button till the quill has returned and then hold about 5 seconds more to build pressure, then do a gearshift to complete the home sequence. If the tailstock is not completely retracted or is not pressing into the part you cannot run a program. Safety feature I would guess.

Ed.

Long shot -- this happened to my 1980 Mori Seiki SL-2B when I had it moved in.

There might be a switch in one of the electrical cabinets called "Door Interlock" or such. In one position, it allows the machine to function normally. In the other position, it prevents the machine from running commands, either MDI or Auto.

My machine is Yasnac, so this is the longest of shots, but maybe Takisawa took some cues from Mori Seiki.

Regards.

Mike

I haven't seen one, but i will double check.

My Hitachi has a 3T control.After homing X and Z you have to extend the tailstock quill then hold the retract button till the quill has returned and then hold about 5 seconds more to build pressure, then do a gearshift to complete the home sequence. If the tailstock is not completely retracted or is not pressing into the part you cannot run a program. Safety feature I would guess.

Ed.

Thanks Ed, I have already tried cycling the tailstock, and running in both extended and retracted positions and every combination i could think of. I even went as far as watching the bits change in the diagnostic screen. I will double check this to make sure. This machine is a single speed, no gearbox.

I wonder if that white button between the cycle start and coolant switch is one of those "Machine Ready" button where you have to press it after the machine is powered on or otherwise won't let you do anything.
At the first machine shop I worked we had a Takisawa pretty close to yours and I remember having to press a white button after the machine was powered on.
Give that a try.

I wonder if that white button between the cycle start and coolant switch is one of those "Machine Ready" button where you have to press it after the machine is powered on or otherwise won't let you do anything.
At the first machine shop I worked we had a Takisawa pretty close to yours and I remember having to press a white button after the machine was powered on.
Give that a try.

I'm pretty sure that's an indicator light and not a button.

Could you be stuck in single block mode? Have you tried pushing cycle start repeatedly? I was going to say that the cycle start button might be suspect, but I guess if that error light comes on, then the button must be doing something. What about the feed hold button? Could that be stuck on?

I'm pretty sure that's an indicator light and not a button.

Could you be stuck in single block mode? Have you tried pushing cycle start repeatedly? I was going to say that the cycle start button might be suspect, but I guess if that error light comes on, then the button must be doing something. What about the feed hold button? Could that be stuck on?

Its a light.

It acts the same in single, auto, or mdi. The screen shows the correct position of the mode selector switch.

On the diagnostic screen, I can see the cycle start buttons and the feed hold buttons acting like a momentary switch should.

Give that a try.

I have seen machine ready buttons before, but this machine seems to power all the goods as soon as the e stop is released.

There are a couple switches on the panel that i still don't completely understand. I'll post some pictures and the book descriptions of them here in a bit.

Back