What's new
What's new

New Member Looking for a bit of guidance

DustyW

Plastic
Hello Everyone. Im new here, Just joined anyway. Ive been here a few times searching through the forums but admittedly more for tool fabrication techniques more than anything. Ive always liked making my own tools. I should say I cant ever seem to leave anything as it came. All beside the point here. Some strange detours in my life have recently (maybe not all that recently) pointed me towards the direction of becoming a machinist. Now, Ive been a Fabricator/Ironworker for about 15 years so its not all alien to me but Ill admit that most machinists have forgotten more than I know. Now to the meat and potatoes. Ive been slowly equipping my shop as I progress through my degree in machining and recently travelled to California to pick up what I think is a steal of a cnc mill. Its a Webb 5BVK but I couldnt find much info on it. Most of what I found was documentation of a similar machine but from different makers. Topwell and Kent if I remember correctly. I believe I saw at least another branding but functionally they all seem basically identical. It came with the original control system (Webbmatic 800?) which from what I can tell is some form of dynapath but it also came with a bunch of other parts. The guy I bought it from had it running (allegedly but I tend to believe him)with the extra parts but he had a problem and had to replace some mosfets on a driver and lost one of the backplates. The backplate I dont mind, I already made replacements at school with cooling fins on them to try to keep the mosfets cool but I dont really even know if thats going to be helpful. I took great pains to keep the ones in my computer cool, why no t these you know? anyway. I wanted to ask if I put up a list of the parts that this machine came with, could somebody tell me whether I am wasting my time with these and should go another route. Id like to be able to control it with a computer but Its not exactly a deal breaker. The stuff is all from cnc4pc. Ill gather a more complete list here in a bit. Id like for the machine to be able to do anything Id need to. So if there is some expansion boards Ill need then so beit. Im adept at building computers and am not worried about my ability to research and figure it out. But if I could find some guys that dont mind lending a bit of knowledge and experience I would be very grateful.

Hello Everyone. Im new here, Just joined anyway. Ive been here a few times searching through the forums but admittedly more for tool fabrication techniques more than anything. Ive always liked making my own tools. I should say I cant ever seem to leave anything as it came. All beside the point here. Some strange detours in my life have recently (maybe not all that recently) pointed me towards the direction of becoming a machinist. Now, Ive been a Fabricator/Ironworker for about 15 years so its not all alien to me but Ill admit that most machinists have forgotten more than I know. Now to the meat and potatoes. Ive been slowly equipping my shop as I progress through my degree in machining and recently travelled to California to pick up what I think is a steal of a cnc mill. Its a Webb 5BVK but I couldnt find much info on it. Most of what I found was documentation of a similar machine but from different makers. Topwell and Kent if I remember correctly. I believe I saw at least another branding but functionally they all seem basically identical. It came with the original control system (Webbmatic 800?) which from what I can tell is some form of dynapath but it also came with a bunch of other parts. The guy I bought it from had it running (allegedly but I tend to believe him)with the extra parts but he had a problem and had to replace some mosfets on a driver and lost one of the backplates. The backplate I dont mind, I already made replacements at school with cooling fins on them to try to keep the mosfets cool but I dont really even know if thats going to be helpful. I took great pains to keep the ones in my computer cool, why no t these you know? anyway. I wanted to ask if I put up a list of the parts that this machine came with, could somebody tell me whether I am wasting my time with these and should go another route. Id like to be able to control it with a computer but Its not exactly a deal breaker. The stuff is all from cnc4pc. Ill gather a more complete list here in a bit. Id like for the machine to be able to do anything Id need to. So if there is some expansion boards Ill need then so beit. Im adept at building computers and am not worried about my ability to research and figure it out. But if I could find some guys that dont mind lending a bit of knowledge and experience I would be very grateful.

Thread bumpity,

One of the reasons I'm responding as you sound a lot like a British guy/bloke who used to work for me who now also lives in Idaho now.

I might suggest that you think of a new thread and new title that's a little more direct and descriptive. + How you want to spend your time and to what end.

AND if you can post pictures of the parts/ bits and pieces.

Probably the discussion would center around budget and what you want to do.

Good that you make your own tools.

Suggested thread titles ... (maybe)

"Boat anchor or worthwhile project - CNC mill: Webb 5BVK/Topwell/ Kent with Webmatic 800 control ? "

Maybe just say ... "I'm a machining student for an actual degree, have a fabrication shop need a mill for my shop.

I'm pretty good with electronics and things mechanical but don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or wasting my time with this machine ? "

"Any and all advice would be appreciated - will dig up some pics. (long time lurker) "

That might pull in some old and young "Salts" alike.

For more budget conscious machines "Peeps" here are pretty keen on Fadals and in some cases older HAAS and even GOOD older Japanese iron.

You might want to check out the "general" part of the forum and maybe post there as what you seem to want to do is sort of a machine restoration ... ?

Best to pick one as the moderators get a bit miffed at double posted threads.

___

Hope that helps (a smidge) ,

Cheers,

Eric

I think maybe Im in the wrong place. 162 views and a single reply. I think Ill just look elsewhere for advice. Thanks anyway fellas. Please feel free to delete this thread.

I think maybe Im in the wrong place. 162 views and a single reply. I think Ill just look elsewhere for advice. Thanks anyway fellas. Please feel free to delete this thread.

Your not in the wrong place, you just asked the wrong questions. That was a very long winded post and the only sentence ending with a question mark was about cooling mosfets. You need to post pictures of the machine and ask much more specific questions. To be honest I can’t even tell if you have the machine in your shop or much of anything about it. How big is this machine? What SPECIFIC tasks are you intended to accomplish with it? What is preventing you from making chips RIGHT NOW? You basically gave us nothing to work with.

When posting on forums, especially this forum, people tend to avoid vague posts.

Something along the lines of “ This mill is under power and I am having xxx problem. I checked xxx and xxx, what would you recommend I do next?”

If you called tech support would you tell them about your career or what the f’n problem is?

hope this helps and I mean not to be rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt ask any questions. I said hello, I described why I was here. It was an inital post introducing myself. No im quite sure at this point that this isnt the forum for me. I wasnt looking for a couple of established members to tell me that my post was shit. just looking for a hello or two. Thanks anyway.

I didnt ask any questions. I said hello, I described why I was here. It was an inital post introducing myself. No im quite sure at this point that this isnt the forum for me. I wasnt looking for a couple of established members to tell me that my post was shit. just looking for a hello or two. Thanks anyway.

I'm confused, first you are looking for advice then just a hello.

This place is dominated by members who do or did this for a living and are to help each other out. Little nonsense (or so we hope), mostly straight to the point like a business man would want.

Your loss. This forum is by far the most wide ranging knowledge base in the world. Maybe try a hobby forum if you have thin skin and are demanding. I agree with the first response to your post.

Also, your OP said you were looking for guidance. Now are you looking for guidance or just saying hello?

This is exactly what Im talking about. Nobody could be bothered to reply at first. But now that we appear to be on opposite sides of an argument your all chiming in like you have a dog in this fight. Fact is you all thought I had nothing to offer you because you all just think people come on this forum when they want something from you. when somebody comes on, looking for maybe a bit of friendly conversation with some others who are more knowledgable in the subject you are looking for but dont want anything but maybe a friendly hello, you all jump on like its a dog pile. keep your crochety comments to yourself. Ill look elsewhere. Dont need any of your help. Just wanted to say hello and possibly ask for some help in the future if I ran into problems. Yea, Ill find the information I seek somewhere else. This isnt the only forum on this subject. Its just the most elitist.

This is exactly what Im talking about. Nobody could be bothered to reply at first. But now that we appear to be on opposite sides of an argument your all chiming in like you have a dog in this fight. Fact is you all thought I had nothing to offer you because you all just think people come on this forum when they want something from you. when somebody comes on, looking for maybe a bit of friendly conversation with some others who are more knowledgable in the subject you are looking for but dont want anything but maybe a friendly hello, you all jump on like its a dog pile. keep your crochety comments to yourself. Ill look elsewhere. Dont need any of your help. Just wanted to say hello and possibly ask for some help in the future if I ran into problems. Yea, Ill find the information I seek somewhere else. This isnt the only forum on this subject. Its just the most elitist.

yeah I agree with you - (in the sense)- this is not the kind of forum especially the cnc section just to hang out and chat about stuff in an 'interpersonal" way mixed up with a bit of machine fixing.

The usual (personal background) introductions on other forums are not usually required / warranted here.

Maybe start your own you-tube channel and document the project.

Most of the "Peeps" here are burning serious $ with their time either if a machine is down or spending time helping someone else.

I don't think anyone else thought you had zero to contribute given your stated 'Life" vectors and goals etc. ?

Honestly I didn't know yo could get an actual 'Degree" in machining in the USA ?

@DustyW 'Peeps" come here basically to trade information but they are willing to help fellow machinists and folks in the manufacturing community who are starting out. It's just very focused on specific technical problems or issues. Like the one you presented. OTOH on the more "Political" back side of the forum - holy flump. That's why I suggested the "general" section of the forum would get more eyeballs for what you are looking for. It's a little bit more mellow over there and "general".

This is a forum, not an airline. No need to announce your departure. Your loss.

Buh Bye.....There's the door:
Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go) - YouTube

Pretty sure this is just a troll.

I get the vibe this fella was on this forum under another name and got offended and decided to troll because he’s mad.

He just wanted a friendly hello?

This isn’t Facebook kid.

Wonder if this is that fella who posted about his dropped machine and got red over the replies, ended up over at hobby machinist talking a bunch of shit about PM.

And to the OP,
The exit door has a strong return spring so don’t let it hit you in the cheeks on your way out!

Back