What's new
What's new

OT: CAT 40 tap holders. Opinions / Recommendations

manualmachinist

Stainless
We got a VMC about a year ago, and I’ve been putting taps in ER collets but I’m finding it a PITA to keep changing them every time I need a different tap size.
I do a variety of job shop shot run and one offs.
I’m considering getting a couple of Techniks brand CAT Tension / Compression tap holders that use the ANSI tap collets.

BT Tension / Compression Tap Holders

So, I should be able to set up so ERs with appropriate drills for each tap and not have to change out the drills and collets.
I would like to be able to set up a tool library in Fusion 360 for tapping that would use the same tool number but with different offsets when they post.
So, I should be able to just change the ANSI collet with the correct size of tap and the offset will already be set.
How do you guys do it? Does this sound feasible?

Why not just buy more ER collet chucks, and dedicate a holder to each tap size? In this day & age of rigid tapping, I can't see why people would use anything else... (And a lot of my customers insist on using "something else...") :ack2:

I'm with J, and with more ER collets if you need to do something else you have the versatility. A tapping head with collets is only good for taps ER chucks are good for anything

Why not just buy more ER collet chucks, and dedicate a holder to each tap size? In this day & age of rigid tapping, I can't see why people would use anything else... (And a lot of my customers insist on using "something else...") :ack2:

I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it.

ER collets and holders are cheap. Buy extras and leave the taps in there.

I strongly recommend against using Bilz type quick change on rigid tap machines/cycles. I used to use those a lot, but I eventually realised that tap life was significantly poorer compared to true rigid holding, all else being equal. The looseness in the whole assembly doesn't play well with rigid cycles. If you're spending real money on premium taps, don't put them in quick change collets.

If you're spending real money on premium taps, don't put them in quick change collets.
There's a good example of how hard-and-fast rules can go astray. If you make three of this, ten of that, one of another, then changing taps easier is a much better use of your time. On the other hand, if you do 500 of something at once, then tap life is more important. And maybe why buying premium taps for some kinds of shops could be not the best idea, either.

Centaur makes a pretty slick chuck that uses sealed ER collets.
It's called a Cen-Chro chuck.
They also have the CCSPL which has axial and radial float. You don't see that every day. Most holders/collet systems only compensate for axial problems.

Scroll down this link to see it. No I don't sell them :-)

Tapping Systems | Precision Tools by Centaur Tools

Do those work on the same principle as the synchro chucks made by Emuge/Sandvik/Kaiser etc? Those ones have a very stiff polymer joint between the drive end and output end of the chuck, and compensate for very small errors, much smaller than the 0.5mm stated for that one. At least the Sandvik and Emuge ones are extremely expensive, so I've never been able to test them.

Back