What's new
What's new

New Orange Vise

jakefreese

Hot Rolled
Has anybody gotten theres yet? I ordered one today, I was planning on buying a couple single station vises next month, but im going to give these a shot.

I am thinking it is to possibly compete with the Kurt DX6 or the 3600's. I wanted a couple of the single station 6x17.5 all cast iron vises but just couldn't justify the $3k for the 2 vises.

I am interested in solid jaw deflection compared to a Kurt 3600. I have only used Kurts but I am excited to see if the Orange has any improvements as far as single stations go. Sol has been a big help to a lot of machinists on here and I want to pay him back somehow.

Gonna be hard to equal that. At least for anything that uses a bolt-on fixed jaw. There is a reason I keep using my cheapie GMT 615R's
I have a few of those, very solid vises. I've had trouble with chips getting past the seals and locking things up. If they had a better seal there, they'd be wonderful.

I've been nothing but happy with my Orange vises. I often use them as doubles. Super handy.

Gonna be hard to equal that. At least for anything that uses a bolt-on fixed jaw. There is a reason I keep using my cheapie GMT 615R's

The Orange single station fixed jaw isn't bolt on - it's locked in by the carrier dovetail and pulled down during clamping, just like the standard Orange Double Station vises.

I mostly use my 17.5" double station in a single configuration. Measured deflection under full load is 0.0002" of *drop*, since the dovetail acts to pull the jaw down.

I have one of the first ones. I haven't measured deflection yet but overall I'm very pleased with the vise. Pretty versatile piece of kit. I think I will buy a second or a two station to compliment it.

UPS delivered 2 of these vises just Monday , can't wait to put them to work . Quadruple the clamping options built-in compared to the miserable std Kurt's we have at work , thus why for my own shop , I went orange . I know those Kurt's deflect , the movable jaws are even worse , one of my biggest complaints with them(never tried the top line models).

If they work as good as I expect I'll be getting either a dual station or a couple more of these , would like a pair or so of 4inchers for quick on/off- small jobs when other things are on the table and space is limited . Decisions, decisions

Your doing it wrong Kurt’s deflect just as much. Even a clapped out old Kurt vise is a nice piece of iron. Not knocking Orange Vise I’m sure they are quality and a good purchase

I was using 2 DX6s on my old machine and moved to 3 17.5 Orange doubles on my new machine. I definitely prefer the doubles just for flexibility so far. I mainly do smaller stuff, so it will be really nice to set up quickly and run multiple double op parts.

32074597338_66a750bc89_c.jpg

I had two Kurt 3600s, nice vise as far as they go. In 2013, bought two Orange vises and never looked back. I still have a 3600, great vise for second ops, sold the other one. I've posted this before, but Photobucket screwed that pooch:

hjrUm0I.jpg

The rigidity is better than a match for the Kurt, and the versatility is in an entirely different universe.

I've been gradually phasing out our Kurts and replacing them with OV's one by one. The Kurts work fine but the number of clamping options and ease-of-maintenance with the OV's is unmatched. They make general purpose work so smooth.

I can't speak to the aluminum jaw slides. I'm running the cast iron ones since I don't have to worry about weight. I also don't use the mitee-bite (or whatever) clamps, but we run a TON of softjaws and use the entire range of the double station bed. Going from one to the other takes no time flat.

Earlier today I just bought another two OV-175's when I noticed there was a black friday sale. 25% off, are you kidding me? I've never smashed a piggybank so fast!

Yeah I wish I could have smashed the piggy bank for a pair of doubles especially at that price!

Here is my new single ready to get christened!
e12085fb16872f03c2c6c7f81c76f054.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Has anybody gotten theres yet? I ordered one today, I was planning on buying a couple single station vises next month, but im going to give these a shot.

I have one already, and a new one on the way to be here friday. They are good vises. I would change a few things to make them a little easier to use, but the are solid and accurate.

I'm planning on buying one more also. I'm really happy with it. Just waiting for the carve smart versa grip jaws to get here!

I'm planning on buying one more also. I'm really happy with it. Just waiting for the carve smart versa grip jaws to get here!

Now that you've had your vise for a month, how do you like it? We're about to pull the trigger on the same vise, but from Maritool because we're buying other stuff at the same time. I don't see an immediate benefit from the mitee bite rail or the carvesmart jaws, but this vise is $100 less than a 3600 and the other features are just a bonus.

Back