Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New to solid carbide drills

Machine: haas sl30 lathe
    Material: 4140
    Drill size 6.7mm with through tool coolant

I know not to peck with a carbide drill, but any other best practice i need to know? Any speed and feed recommendations? The manufacture is recommending 6500 RPM and a feed of 0.007 IPR, this machine won’t spin that fast.
    Thank You

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd keep the chipload the same and run as fast as you can. If the drill is long, do a pilot with a stub drill first, put the long drill in at a low RPM, then speed up and drill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you spot the hole first make certain it is with a tool that has a GREATER tip angle than your carbide. So if, for instance, your carbide drill has 140 degree tip make sure to use something equal to or greater than that....142 is a common spot drill tip angle for this reason. Good luck!

4. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who told you not to peck?! Nothing wrong with pecking. Even with coolant thru if your pressure isn't the greatest, or sometimes you let the filters get a little dirtier than it should adding a few pecks in your program will make it more reliable. If I am drilling 3.5" deep and my flute length is 3.8 or 3.9" long I will add a few packs starting at 2.75".

.007ipr in 4140 for a 6mm drill sounds very high. Drilling on a lathe where the drill is stationary is always worse than when the drill is spinning !!! I would start out with .0045 ipr.

6. Likes Gobo, Nerdlinger, PegroProX440, Red James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If a blind hole you might program in brief dwell (.1 second or so) before retract. Doing the same before a peck is good too, but you might have to hand program.

If through you might slow feed a bit during breakout.

8. Likes Nerdlinger liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Who told you not to peck?! Nothing wrong with pecking. Even with coolant thru if your pressure isn't the greatest, or sometimes you let the filters get a little dirtier than it should adding a few pecks in your program will make it more reliable. If I am drilling 3.5" deep and my flute length is 3.8 or 3.9" long I will add a few packs starting at 2.75".

.007ipr in 4140 for a 6mm drill sounds very high. Drilling on a lathe where the drill is stationary is always worse than when the drill is spinning !!! I would start out with .0045 ipr.
    The Mitsubishi MVS drills I use recommends between .0043-.0094 for 4340 with .0071 being right in the middle for that size range. I routinely drill with these drills in the 25-40xd range in various diameters from 5mm-10mm in a single shot, but the machine we use them with has 1000PSI coolant. The 10mm we feed at .012 per rev and it makes beautiful holes. They also say not to peck. The problem for him comes down to being limited by spindle speed. Spin it as fast as you safely can and from there you'll have to play with your IPR until you get the best results.

Op does need to clarify how deep because that does affect things.
    What brand drill are you using?
    What coating?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The depth is 1.125 and brand is widin with TiAIN coating.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hand coding isn’t a problem, i had code everything i do on this machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieB View Post
    Machine: haas sl30 lathe
    Material: 4140
    Drill size 6.7mm with through tool coolant

I know not to peck with a carbide drill, but any other best practice i need to know? Any speed and feed recommendations? The manufacture is recommending 6500 RPM and a feed of 0.007 IPR, this machine won’t spin that fast.
    Thank You
    In 4140 I typically go around 300sfpm for solid carbide drills. That comes out to around 4400rpm, and I agree with Frank, the .007 is a tad high... maybe kick it down to around .005ipr and send it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to thank everyone for the recommendation, i went with 3000 rpm at 0.005 ipr.

14. Likes mhajicek, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post

Almost every manufacturer that I've seens technical guide tells you specifically not to peck. Heck even allied tells you not to on their spade drills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by escapethewrmhole View Post
    Almost every manufacturer that I've seens technical guide tells you specifically not to peck. Heck even allied tells you not to on their spade drills.
    The process of the how and by whom these "technical guides" are often written is interesting and sometimes scary.
    Bob

17. Likes Orange Vise liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    The process of the how and by whom these "technical guides" are often written is interesting and sometimes scary.
    Bob
    Somebody tried something and it worked. It then becomes gospel.

Look at the sfm values for diamond tools in Machinery's Handbook. They're all over the place! I figure that it's due to rpm limitations on whatever machine they were using at the time the data was compiled.

So there you go.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Bob
    Very hard to get and keep good technical cutting tool engineers. The good ones are making 6 figures in machines shops and not making technical guides.

20. Likes Orange Vise liked this post