New (to us) Brother TC-31A - and man do I have questions! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great! Thanks once again to both of you.

Mr Deal, do you use an edge finder or that Haimer thing? I can’t figure out how to put one axis in at a time. The Auto Set button puts x and y in together from my current location.

Also, do you have a book specifically labeled “Instruction Manual”? Either I’m missing it or it doesn’t exist and the 4 I have are not good at explaining basic stuff like this.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Volitan View Post
    Great!

I can’t figure out how to put one axis in at a time. The Auto Set button puts x and y in together from my current location.
    Ah, another of the 'older' machine issues. When you set X and Y, whichever axis you don't want to change, hit delete on the Abs Pos After Set column for the axis you don't want to change. It's zero initially, you want to make it blank. The machine will keep what was there for the position. You can also use this for comping out an edge finder by entering + or - .100" depending upon which side of the part you are on. If I recall correctly, you need to save (F0) the first position before you do the second position.

3. Likes Volitan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great! Thanks once again to both of you.

Mr Deal, do you use an edge finder or that Haimer thing? I can’t figure out how to put one axis in at a time. The Auto Set button puts x and y in together from my current location.

Also, do you have a book specifically labeled “Instruction Manual”? Either I’m missing it or it doesn’t exist and the 4 I have are not good at explaining basic stuff like this.
    Yes I am using the Haimer for X, Y, and Z. I started with an edge finder but I like the Haimer much better. Especially since it does Z. I don't have the issue that you and BROTHERFRANK mention where you can't enter X and Y separately in the work offsets. Maybe mine is a later version? One thing I did was to upgrade the firmware in mine to the latest version for the A00 control. But before doing so I still did not have the issue you mention.

Manuals- I have 5. Two operation manuals (one for NC and I suppose one for conversational), Two programming manuals with one for NC and one for conversational, and one installation manual. There is also a maintenance manual or something that I got from Yamazen. It helps with replacing stuff, which I have done a fair amount of on my machine since it was used hard and generally neglected by the last owner.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    I don't have the issue that you and BROTHERFRANK mention where you can't enter X and Y separately in the work offsets. Maybe mine is a later version? One thing I did was to upgrade the firmware in mine to the latest version for the A00 control.
    That's right. Later A00 control (2003 and up ?) machines have the X and Y Auto Set function separate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    For you, you can either take a cutting tool that you know the gage length of or you can use a special gage type tool that has a known length, say 5.000".
    Let's say I wanted to make my own gage type tool with a holder I'll never use anyway.
    To measure it, would I put it in the spindle, then take an indicator measurement from the bottom of the spindle to the tip of the tool and use that distance as the "known" length for that gage from there on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never mind, found a good explanation of positive offsets here and I get it now:

Lesson 5: Everything about CNC Tool Length Offsets. Positive and Negaive (G43 g-code, H offset) | HSM Machining

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let's say I wanted to make my own gage type tool with a holder I'll never use anyway.
    To measure it, would I put it in the spindle, then take an indicator measurement from the bottom of the spindle to the tip of the tool and use that distance as the "known" length for that gage from there on?
    I would try to make my gage tool to be a nice round # such as 4.000", 4.500", 5.000" etc... Maritool sells one that is 3.000" I believe for BT30. When you touch that tool to your 4" tool setter indicator sitting on the machine table, and set the tool offset for it, it should read 3.000" or whatever length you make yours. The gage length is the distance from the spindle face to the tool tip, Unless someone has fooled around with your machine's Zero position. Machine Zero on a brother would be the position if you could touch the spindle face to the table. If you take an 8" or 9" stack of gage blocks sitting on the table and touch the spindle face to them, your machine position should read 8 or 9 inches respectively.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never mind, found a good explanation of positive offsets here and I get it now:

Lesson 5: Everything about CNC Tool Length Offsets. Positive and Negaive (G43 g-code, H offset) | HSM Machining
    That is not quite right for the Brother. Brother Machine zero is the table. Work offsets are positive amount from table to part zero. Tool offsets are positive amount from tool tip to spindle face. If you touch a tool on your part zero, if you add the work offset and the tool offset at that position that will equal your current Machine position. Your program will still be Z- down in the part if you are setting Z0 as the top of the material. Hope that helps.

10. Likes Volitan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I bought one of the Maritool reference gage tools- very nice. I have mostly used it as a reference to keep an eye on spindle run out since it is also ground very concentric.

12. Likes Volitan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    That is not quite right for the Brother. Brother Machine zero is the table. Work offsets are positive amount from table to part zero. Tool offsets are positive amount from tool tip to spindle face. If you touch a tool on your part zero, if you add the work offset and the tool offset at that position that will equal your current Machine position. Your program will still be Z- down in the part if you are setting Z0 as the top of the material. Hope that helps.
    I get it now, thanks. Also I just tried stacking up a few 1-2-3 blocks longways and the spindle contacted at 8.995"

14. Likes BROTHERFRANK liked this post