What's new
What's new

New to us leadwell LTC-B50XXL cnc lathe

cuttergrinder

Hot Rolled
We just got this lathe at work. Does anyone have any experience with one of these lathes?

Attachments

• 20191221_130029.jpg
    20191221_130029.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 20191221_092108.jpg
    20191221_092108.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20191221_091635.jpg
    20191221_091635.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 93
Yes. Ran one a few years at the last shop I worked at. I think it was a 2006 or 2007. 160" C/C if I remember right. We put 2 SMW hyd steady rests on it.

this one also has 2 steady rests. I believe 1 can travel as you cut and the other is a cut through steady rest. did you like the machine? We like to do some large diameter jobs that require turning and boring but the machine doesn't seem to have the capability of holding a large enough boring bar for doing any deep boring. Any thoughts?

I had a early 2000 LTC 50 maybe 80 inches of travel it was an absolute tank,repeatability to tenths .

Loved running it but leasing space several miles away because it wouldnt fit in the shop became problematic.
I tried to hire an operator he saw it and Walked out ....they are big :eek:.
45,000 lbs or so...last I heard its still going strong making mortor shell casings.

As far as boring bars I found a Sandvik close to 3.000 Dia 40 inches long and made a custom holder for it.
post back after you put some hours on this...

I hope they make a faster chip conveyor i mine couldn't keep up...lol

It is a beast. They said it weighs 48,000 but it was day lighting the tires on the forklift every once in a while. The rigger said they have lifted 105,000 with the forklift but they didn't have all the counter weights on for this lift. Im not sure but the one steady rest is on it and doesn't appear to be able to be removed. It looks like the steady would limit how short of a shaft would be able to be turned. I guess the shorter shafts will just have to be machined on our smaller lathes.

Assuming its the Duplomatic VDI turret, its not well suited for deep boring due to the design. The standard holders are 2" but you can buy 3", seems like we got them from Evermore. We did a good bit of deep boring with Kennametal devibes, but chatter was always an issue. The machine itself was solid, the turret I hate.

Had practically no issues over the years, seems like we had to replace the x axis ballscrew support bearing once ( simple ). Conveyor lasted about 10yrs, it was pretty cheaply built.

Here is a picture of the turret and the steady rest. The turret just seems small to me for a machine of this size.

Attachments

• 20191223_084644.jpg
    20191223_084644.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 85
I used to run an LTC 50 back in the mid to late 90's. 48k lbs, 50hp (high torque motor), 10ft between centers, etc...
It was a big fat fucking lemon. And I ran it when it was brand new.
I hope they changed a lot for the year that you have.
The motor didn't have a gear box, so that meant when you're turning anything over 18" (up to 30") dia you have to take baby cuts.
The turret... that hunk of shit fell off! The bolt circle that held it on was like 6" dia, and used 8mm or 10mm bolts. It was trash.
The way lube has 2 containers and had to fill them up once per week.

Like I said, I hope it's a much better model than the 90's version.

I have a 2006 LTC30-???. Turret looks the same size as mine. VDI 60. Mine is much smaller, about 20K lbs. Mine's had a few turret problems and the way covers have been replaced once already.

My impression is they're decent for a Taiwan machine. The rigidity and HP is there, but they cut some corners on fit and finish here and there.

Back