What's new
What's new

New (to us) machine day! 5 axis mikron

Hi empwoer:
You mean you traded in your brand new, state-of-the art Haas UMC 500 for THAT???:D
What were you THINKING?

On a more serious note...I too am envious as Hell.
I wish you 5 axis machining joy from it...no more wondering if it was the machine that crapped out on a part that had to be scrapped.

How much more expensive was it than the sticker price of Satan's Minion?

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

LOL nice! I was eyeballing that same machine really hard, but we aren't ready for another yet. Surprised to see it on here, and totally jealous!

Hope it runs really well for you.

Hi empwoer:
You mean you traded in your brand new, state-of-the art Haas UMC 500 for THAT???:D
What were you THINKING?

On a more serious note...I too am envious as Hell.
I wish you 5 axis machining joy from it...no more wondering if it was the machine that crapped out on a part that had to be scrapped.

How much more expensive was it than the sticker price of Satan's Minion?

Cheers

Marcus

i know, may not ever be able to live with myself for that decision! :P
we scored this guy for 350k. hell of a deal IMO. has a clean bill of health from GF prior to sale.

Hi again empwoer:
So for roughly double the money you got roughly ten times the machine...is that correct?

But but but...you could have had TWO clunkers on your floor for the same coin.
OBVIOUSLY, you're not a proper bean counter...be ashamed...be very ashamed!:nono::D

350 K is indeed a very good price for that class of machine.

Cheers

Marcus

i think you're spot on with your math! we're looking to unload about 8 more VMC's (haas) to make room for a few more GF 5 axis machines over time.

Thirty Six THOUSAND RPM?

Man, I kan't even count that high - even with my boots off! :willy_nilly:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

so machine is in the shop, resting in its new spot.
went over it briefly and its missing quite a few things, working with the seller to hopefully rectify that.
missing items: transformer - being a 400v machine, this is a must have.
mist collector - has the piping that connects to it, but no unit itself
no kinematics calibration ball
no laser calibration tool
and found this gem when i opened the electronics cabinet...
241442941_4293108144101424_8883562325070855523_n.jpg241334536_238900748171359_2263023459857394189_n.jpg

otherwise machine seems to be in good condition. soon as we get the missing items replaced we will get it hooked up and going. cant wait to fire this baby up, the linear motors and granite base look SEXY!

it'll also need a lot of elbow grease to get it looking nice and presentable.

Congrats, and hopefully everything gets worked out. That is a nightmare to me since on a used machine the acceptance papers have to be signed before the machine gets financed and you pretty much own any problems.

Congrats, and hopefully everything gets worked out. That is a nightmare to me since on a used machine the acceptance papers have to be signed before the machine gets financed and you pretty much own any problems.

we're looking to purchase another mikron from this dealer, so they will have to make this right if they want the sale.

and found this gem when i opened the electronics cabinet...
View attachment 329437View attachment 329436

Looks to me like you have an activated "been dropped" detector. That or a good hard bump in the road somewhere.

Not hard to imagine a ganged DIN rail arrangement with spring loaded latch-from-the-bottom connection letting loose like that. How much bump would it take? Anyone's guess... I guess. Hope everything is still okay.

Mark me jealous as the rest of them.

Looks to me like you have an activated "been dropped" detector. That or a good hard bump in the road somewhere.

Not hard to imagine a ganged DIN rail arrangement with spring loaded latch-from-the-bottom connection letting loose like that. How much bump would it take? Anyone's guess... I guess. Hope everything is still okay.

Mark me jealous as the rest of them.

I don't think it was DIN mounted. Looks like whatever it is slipped out of those fancy zip ties hanging out above it. Probably didn't take much to cause it to fall out by the looks of it.

Hopefully it's no big deal.

Congrats on the machine!

Well, It Shirley was s'posed to have been DIN mounted, but yeah - it looks like the mount has been broken prior, and the zip ties have been holding it.

It prolly took way LESS jolting hanging like that than it would have if mounted properly.
Still seems scary....

What flavor PLC unit is that - so that we can know who makes Schidty DIN mounts.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, It Shirley was s'posed to have been DIN mounted, but yeah - it looks like the mount has been broken prior, and the zip ties have been holding it.

It prolly took way LESS jolting hanging like that than it would have if mounted properly.
Still seems scary....

What flavor PLC unit is that - so that we can know who makes Schidty DIN mounts.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

its a heidenhain control, but i see a lot of siemens relays etc.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the DIN mount. I'm pretty sure about every machine on the floor here has sprung latched din mounted components of some form or other. I've never had one come loose in transit before.

It sure does look like it wasn't attached to the rail to begin with, if that was my purchase I'd be keen to find out why...

On the topic of the stuff that fell
Off the din rail. That definitely looks very suspicious. There is a black zip tie that looks like it was holding that up? I’d look to see if that is the correct part or a replacement. seems as though it may have been poorly repaired in the past.

I’ve seen many DIN rail mounted items with broken upper tabs. Thankfully most had holes elsewhere for proper screw mounting so an easy fix. Someone did a ghetto “repair” with those zip ties. I’d be wondering what other unprofessional work may have been done.

Certainly seems something isn't happy in DIN rail land.

DIN rail shock and vibration resistance is said to exceed the German railway requirements of 350G shock and 5G vibration so it takes a fair pounding to shift properly mounted kit.

But the plastic symmetrical rail mounts are vulnerable to Hammer-it Harry when he is in a hurry and doesn't hook things on properly. I've seen some pretty sadly distressed examples. Usually with a decent size box hanging off them too. I guess that when you have a reasonable load to lift on it takes a deal more care to make sure all is properly hooked before clicking the catch home.

Clive

Back