What's new
What's new

New (Used) Machine - Fadal 3016

kazlx

Hot Rolled
It's been a very busy weekend but finally brought my Fadal 3016 home. I purchased one of the 3016s for sale by Freds on the classifieds here. It was 100% as disclosed and I'm extremely happy now that it's all set. I organized rigging and transport from down here though a friend and every worked out perfectly. I really wanted to get up to the Bay Area to check it out in person (just because, not because of concerns), but just couldn't make the time. Freds co-worker that I dealt with was awesome over the phone and e-mail and really helpful.

This is a pretty big jump for me and is replacing an older drill/tap machine with a Fanuc control. It was a great machine to start with, but ultimately just needed more than what it could offer (which I started finding out after I purchased, as I knew very little about cnc at the time).

I shoehorned this thing into my garage with about 1/2" clearance. It helped that there are holes in the casting for lifting bars so the forks weren't under the machine. I removed the Z servo, unbolted the cable tracks and put to the side and removed the fan hat for the spindle motor.

I already had everything for supporting equipment, a 100A sub panel in the garage, wiring, compressed air and all that, so I really just had to drop the machine. It's already hooked up and working my way though learning the control.

I can't wait to cut some parts.

30734497167_204a721315_c.jpg

45675083351_bb5cf6cfc4_c.jpg

31802784718_42e4491a74_c.jpg

45624534142_53d3f5051b_c.jpg

45624534082_bb447db028_c.jpg

45675083531_8d8c5b25d2_c.jpg

I have a '95 3016, and they are great machines for the money.

From a mechanical standpoint, the box-way 3016 is the most rigid machine Fadal ever built. Why?

Well, the 3016 has the same size ways, ballscrews, and servo motors as the popular 4020. The 3016 has less spindle-casting overhang in the Y-axis direction, and with less X-axis table overhang above the saddle, it all adds up that the 3016 has to be more rigid!

Good luck with it,

ToolCat

You'll want some sort of mist collector if your running in the garage with door closed.

I have a Royal Filtermist 1200, I wouldn't recommend it, doesn't work very well and is very noisy.

Next time around I would get a Mistaway, much cheaper and can be ordered to run on 110VAC.

It's already hooked up and working my way though learning the control.

Have you rune a Fadal before? I ran one maybe 25 years ago for a few months. When I got the 4020 evidently I'd forgotten everything I knew about the control. It took me longer than I expected to get very proficient, not sure why.

How are you going to send programs to the mc? I the ONECNC DNC, which I think is now NCLINK. It worked better than the FADALDNC I was using.

You'll want some sort of mist collector if your running in the garage with door closed.

I have a Royal Filtermist 1200, I wouldn't recommend it, doesn't work very well and is very noisy.

Next time around I would get a Mistaway, much cheaper and can be ordered to run on 110VAC.

Probably stealing kazlx thunder here :) Machine was sold with MistAway, plus the inductive pickup and timer that turns it on only when coolant pump is running and turns off with delay. The 'box' under the tool changer in the last picture is the MistAway.

BTW, kudos to Kennedy Rigging and Transport out of San Jose. kazlx chose them and they were superb. Had all the right gizmos to snatch the Fadal from the side to get it out to where they could approach from front/back. Did some additional shrink wrap to get it to their yard in San Jose. Then tarped it for trip down I5 to So. Cal.

Fred

Like Freds said, it came with a MistAway and is already setup through the machine to turn on with the coolant.

That thing looks clean as a whistle! And, holy tight squeeze! Good job getting her in there!

It is exceptionally clean. I'm really happy with it. It was tight, but it went as I've seen from other posts. Really looking forward to stepping up my capabilities.

Have you rune a Fadal before? I ran one maybe 25 years ago for a few months. When I got the 4020 evidently I'd forgotten everything I knew about the control. It took me longer than I expected to get very proficient, not sure why.

How are you going to send programs to the mc? I the ONECNC DNC, which I think is now NCLINK. It worked better than the FADALDNC I was using.

I was using DNC4U with my old machine and it worked great. I'll continue to use it and sounds like Fred was already using it. Their programmer sent me their settings and some other info. They also had a wifi setup that I was going to try and replicate, but will probably also order the CalMotion box for it.

Congrats! Please keep us updated on how spinning up the machine goes. I may end up with a similar machine soon so I am excited to hear your thoughts.

Congrats! Please keep us updated on how spinning up the machine goes. I may end up with a similar machine soon so I am excited to hear your thoughts.

It's up and running. I have already ran a warmup program that they left in it. Still need to level the machine and get the vises installed. I spent the last few days running wiring and hard plumbing for air to it along with an auction refrigerated dryer I picked up. Currently running on a 15hp RPC.

+1 on Kennedy as well. They moved a wire edm machine for me about 14 years ago, and the service was fantastic.

Good looking Fadal !! Have fun with it!!

PM

+1 on Kennedy as well. They moved a wire edm machine for me about 14 years ago, and the service was fantastic.

Good looking Fadal !! Have fun with it!!

PM

Thanks! I would definitely use him again. Service was good, everything happened when he said it was. Truck arrived here early, Tarping and strap job was excellent. The whole deal went exceptionally smooth.

+1 on Kennedy as well. They moved our shop a few ago when we moved.
And they got my 3016 into my garage as well.

Glad to see you got it all in and running....

and again if you ever need service M&M in Chatsworth, they know those
machines inside and out.

I'm excited for you, this is a huge step up from the Cobra. Love seeing how far you've come in such a short time.

Back