New VMC owner - need tips.
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southern Illinois University
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default New VMC owner - need tips.

    I recently purchased my first VMC, a very very clean mothballed TREE VMC1050 about 1998 vintage, Dynapath delta 50 control. After a little bit of work, I got the control fixed up with a new cmos battery and the machine runs. I've managed to figure out the dynapath programming, and have been able to run a few small programs to change tools, move the table, start the spindle ect. I have a few questions.

    I can't seem to find an M code to start the coolant. There is a coolant switch on the screen, but I assumed it was for the wash down nozzles. How do I start flood coolant?

    I have not put coolant in the machine yet, still need to finish cleaning the old gunk out of the tanks. This leads me to my next question, the coolant tank is 2 piece, and looks to be sealed together with some type of silicone. My goto is like permatex ultra-grey. Any other recommendations?

    As for coolant, recommendations? Going to be doing 95% 6061, and like 5% 4140ph for now. The PO used one of the blassers, not sure which one. Through some other purchases, I ended up with a few year old half pail of kool-rite 2290. Their spec sheet says good for aluminum. Good to use? Does it go bad in the pail?

    How about water? I'm on a well - it's hard and rusty. I can go to my parents and get reasonable city water. Not sure that I could buy enough distilled right now lol. What kind of capacity does this thing have?

    What about way oil. I've seen something about mobil vactra. Specific number? Other brands?

    How about the way oiler? ZPS sent me a wiring diagram, but I can't find it in the diagram. How is it ran on a machine like this. Pumping when machine on, or when moving? I have the way covers off to clean things up, do I need to unhook any line to check for flow? Yesterday I had the machine powered up for a few hours while I was programming, and it ended up giving me a "low lube pressure" alarm that wouldn't reset. Cycled power and it went away, not back since.

    Anything else I need to look at to finish up bringing this thing back to life?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    3,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5964
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default

    M08 will start ur coolant pump,M09 will shut it off.
    prolly best to put it on its own line til u find out different.
    I have a D20 on a Lagoon.
    Good Luck!
    Gw

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    771
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    288

    Default

    Way oilers operate on a timer based either on cycle time or power-on time. Latter one is a PITA.
    What you can do is disconnect the line coming out of the oiler and put a towel under it. Drips mean it works.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    2,646
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    371
    Likes (Received)
    745

    Default

    If you have the way covers off, check the lube line metering units to make sure they are not plugged. IF they are, just replace them- trying to clean them is false economy. Pull a line off with the metering unit in place and cycle the pump and make sure lube comes out. A disconnected pump may appear to pump with no back pressure, so check for flow where it matters.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    908
    Likes (Received)
    2732

    Default

    Since you got a low lube pressure alarm, you can assume there is a pressure switch in the system. The logic used by the machine builder will determine what all this is telling you. Typical methods are....

    Pump turns on and if the pressure does not build enough to actuate the switch after a set amount of time, then an alarm is raised. Fault can be low oil in the tank, bad pump, leak in a line, etc. If pressure builds and actuates the switch, the timer starts and the pump runs for the set amount of time and then turns off. The control assumes delivery complete

    Expanding on the above, some builders add some additional logic...

    Pressure builds and actuates the switch. Pump runs for the value set in the timer and turns off starting another timer. If the pressure switch does not turn off before the second timer elapses then an alarm is raised indicating that oil was not delivered quickly enough. Typically this condition results from the metering units being restricted or plugged.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    2,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bastarddsm View Post

    I have not put coolant in the machine yet, still need to finish cleaning the old gunk out of the tanks. This leads me to my next question, the coolant tank is 2 piece, and looks to be sealed together with some type of silicone. My goto is like permatex ultra-grey. Any other recommendations?

    I like Permatex "Right Stuff". It is the only thing I have found that is not eventually degraded by coolant and oil.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southern Illinois University
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    I think I need to call ZPS on this. Played with it tonight. Switch on the coolant switch on the panel, only the wash down pump comes on. If you program an M8, nothing. Switch on the coolant switch, and both wash and flood comes on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southern Illinois University
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Since you got a low lube pressure alarm, you can assume there is a pressure switch in the system. The logic used by the machine builder will determine what all this is telling you. Typical methods are....

    Pump turns on and if the pressure does not build enough to actuate the switch after a set amount of time, then an alarm is raised. Fault can be low oil in the tank, bad pump, leak in a line, etc. If pressure builds and actuates the switch, the timer starts and the pump runs for the set amount of time and then turns off. The control assumes delivery complete

    Expanding on the above, some builders add some additional logic...

    Pressure builds and actuates the switch. Pump runs for the value set in the timer and turns off starting another timer. If the pressure switch does not turn off before the second timer elapses then an alarm is raised indicating that oil was not delivered quickly enough. Typically this condition results from the metering units being restricted or plugged.
    Thanks. That all makes sense. I'm not 100% but, it seems like this one has a plunger. The motor runs and picks up the plunger, and a spring pulls it down, pumping it. It looks like you can turn the knob and adjust the stroke of the plunger. It's a Bijur TMD-5. Trying to find some info on it after this. I assume the flow rate is slow enough it would be hard to tell that it's actually pumping oil?

    Thanks guys.

    I

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    3,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5964
    Likes (Received)
    878

    Default

    turn the coolant switch on then cycle a M09,
    see if it shuts coolant off?
    I am confused ,doesnt take much.....
    Gw

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    908
    Likes (Received)
    2732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bastarddsm View Post
    .....I assume the flow rate is slow enough it would be hard to tell that it's actually pumping oil?
    If you open the output line and cycle the pump, oil should come out quickly.

    That style of pump has a suction filter that clogs pretty easily when used with some way oils like Vactra. Should be checked too.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •