Newbie in trade school learning CNC : Which control (Haas, Fanuc, Heidenhain)? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seriously, ya'll make me worry sometimes.

Learn the control that's in front of you. We could argue the merits of which is the best, but that wasn't the question. In practice they are all reasonably similar.

I've trained a LOT of people over the years on Fanuc, Siemens, Mazak, and (recently) Okuma. The majority of smart, young machinists can pickup enough knowledge to touch off tools, load programs, and edit code in two days or less. That is enough for 99% of what needs doing in a modern shop. There is a small group that take months to learn a controller, but if you're in that group, then you are really going to struggle with the CAD/CAM side.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So.... whatís the difference between these controls? I started on Yasnac, and by started I mean I stared as the screen rolled on and made parts while I burred. Eventually graduated to hand-jamming and pencil cam. When I moved to another company, it was with Haas mills and a few Okumas. At my own shop, I have a Fanuc.

From what Iíve seen... I just donít see enough of a difference. Itís not like French versus English, itís more like a fake Boston accent versus a real one. Sure, they have variations on certain things, but worst case scenario, it takes you a second to translate. Iím sure thatís not the case for every control, but still.

I was asking a technician buddy about live tooling, Swiss machines, and dual spindle lathes the other day, just curious about how the programs look and are read. His comment was he doesnít really write programs as much as he edits his post processor, which echoes many of the folks on here. My question, for you guys who have used multiple CAM programs; how different are the post processors? Are there enough similarities that learning one is more than a head start for another or are they all totally different beasts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are the following Fanuc controls considered full-blown CNC systems?

Fanuc Professional Jn (20FA)
    Fanuc 21i Professional
    Fanuc ProEn

These are all offered on the Makino KE-55 3 axis mill.

Are these Fanuc controls just as capable as a Haas control on a 3-axis Haas ? Or much more capable?