What's new
What's new

Newby - Jeweler looking for someone to machine tantalum rings

jry65

Plastic
I'm new here and not a machinist. I am a jeweler and jewelry designer.
I am looking for someone who can machine some tantalum rings for me.

Initially it would just be a few samples so I can test customer feedback.
Then, hopefully they start selling and we can place more orders.

I'm hoping to find a shop that would be cool with making small quantities.

Please ping me if you are interested, or know someone who would be.

Thank you!
Ron

Attachments

• tantalum ring.jpg
    tantalum ring.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 338
Hi jry65:
Have you ever worked with Tantalum before?
It's a shitty material to machine...you might have some difficulty finding anyone to take this on.

Cheers

Marcus

I worked my fair share of tantalum, crap to cut. and it isn't a visually nice metal, yes it's expensive and something the average person hasn't heard of, but I can't see why someone would want jewelry out of it.

I have never even heard of tantalum. I thought someone was misspelling titanium.

Hey Marcus,

No I haven't. But my customers love new materials and several have mentioned that they saw some Tantalum rings and liked them.
And I want to do something pretty unique with my designs.

Benchmark Wedding Rings (a mfg'er/wholesaler) has been selling them for a few years, and several jewelers I know that carry the line have done well with them. I don't want to sell the same designs Benchmark sells, or carry their brand.

There's some cool stuff out there in tantalum.
Browse Rings | Benchmark Rings
Tantalum ring | Etsy
Grew & Co. › Masculine

No. "Johnny Larue" was the self proclaimed Tantalum expert. John Weldon was alright. I'd like to see him come back around too...

So this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen someone quote Big B without seeing the original post... Did he get banned? Or did he delete all his posts and leave? I know he and Spinit have been going at it...

If you would like, I can send you several contacts for shops that will give you bid. Most in Utah, one in PDX. I'm assuming that anyone here that's interested in the work has sent you PM's. IF you want the contact info. I have, ask by PM.

R

It sounds like you would have to enclose the machine and contain & capture all the fumes from the coolant. At the same time, the coolant being a solvent, it would be removing the lubricant from the ways of the machine.

Slower speeds will cause the metal to tear, especially if annealed metal is being cut. Perchloroethylene or trichloroethane is recommended as a cutting medium and the work must be kept well flooded at all times. Even when filing or using emery cloth, the file or cloth must be kept well wetted with one of these compounds. Basic limiting parameters are as follows:

It seems WD might work but flammable and I don't like WD...or Perchloroethylene or trichloroethane.

Why would someone want a ring of that material?

I work with tantalum on almost a daily basis. You do not want to invest in this for jewelry. And here's why :Tantalum is expensive; it has a tendency to tear out while machining, meaning a chunk is pulled out of your part (conveniently it's usually in the middle of the part, which can be hard to fix); it creates cold welds while machining, which again are a pain to get out; the stuff is hard to come by, and the dust is extremely flammable, so you would have to take safety measures if you wanted to add any customizable engravings yourself.

Granted when finished and polished up, it is a beautiful metal, and has a variety of colors ranging from a deep purpleish color to a blue-grey color, depending on how you heat treat it. And people are generally not allergic to tantalum. Tantalum and titanium are often used for replacement surgeries for that reason. But it's not a readily produced material like Ti or Al. It has many purposes that aid in today's world from tech to medical and more. I would steer you in another direction, but that's not my decision to make. Just consider it, please.

Why do we suddenly have two threads about Tantalum, both dug up from the grave?

Coincidence? Or tag team spamming? :toetap:

Why do we suddenly have two threads about Tantalum, both dug up from the grave?

Coincidence? Or tag team spamming? :toetap:

I'm assuming this one is legit, and it being at the top of the forum prompted the other spammer to dig up the other thread on Tantalum.

But we'll keep an eye on Srm91040 just in case.

Could I suggest you look into Monel 400. I work with it a lot and personally consider it one of the most beautiful metals when polished up. It takes a shine like nothing else I work with. It's on the pricey end but nothing compared to tantalum. It's mostly nickel and copper so I don't know if it would cause irritation as I know some people are sensitive to nickel or if being alloyed would prevent that.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this one is legit, and it being at the top of the forum prompted the other spammer to dig up the other thread on Tantalum.

But we'll keep an eye on Srm91040 just in case.

No spam here. Just being informative from personal experience and knowledge.

Can't you curl it and weld it instead of machining from bar stock? I don't know if you can weld tantalum.

I've done this with gold. Started with rectangular bar, roll formed to section desired, curled and tig welded, then finished by hand. I was surprised at how quickly the gold work hardened while forming. Had to heat and quench several times to anneal. I think it was 18K alloy if I recall. TIG welding was tricky too because of the high thermal conductivity.

Back