What's new

Nikken rotary Brother A00

• Thread starter grinders
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 5,861
G

grinders

Hello again. I have got a lot of work ahead of me on this one. Just making a thread for progress pics, questions and hopefully some advice along the way. I have a Nikken CNC 100a (circa 2001) rotary and support almost ready to plug into my A00 brother (TC22-A). A bit nervous to start messing around in the control cabinet but oh well.
Rotary install - Album on Imgur
Here is a bunch of pics, in the wrong order. I will update when I get more done, any questions I will gladly share what little I have learned.

Is the encoder count on the Sanyo motor compatible with a rotary axis ratio or does the Brother control have an "electronic gear ratio" type function?

Last edited:
Turns out this gear is 55-60 HRC. Not too worried about the bore, but that keyway will be tough. Luckily it is .189” wide so I’ll be able to plunge most of it out with an end mill. Going to try to grind a carbide broach to pick the corners square
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

So gear is done, EDM keyway. Everything is temporarily plugged in and a few things are amiss. Servo error for parameter for A axis, and unable to clamp A axis. Imgur: The magic of the Internet
According to the manual, Imgur: The magic of the Internet
it has to do with motor type and limit of current while preventing drop due to dead load. So far have not been able to find anything on where these would be altered. The clamp issue will probably be a different clamp type but I’ll get there next.

Well, it’s spinning! Spins! - Album on Imgur
Far as I could get today. Next is to machine the enclosure Enclosure - Album on Imgur
The hand pendant doesn’t work though, says select axis when I turn it to the 4th axis, maybe need to name it in parameters, not sure. Also need to set grid and check the health of the mechanicals.

Real nice! I have a Yuasa 4th, also for a Brother A00 machine, that is all apart on my work bench. What did you paint it with? I'm tempted to just paint it with appliance spray paint from lowes.

Your Nikken looks like it was very nice inside. Mine was full of oil/water mix.

You did a great job. I bought a Tsudakoma 4th off HGR for 50$ but it had no motor, no gear as you have pictured and was disassembled in a box. Got it working not long ago. It was a job. My machine came pre wired for a 4th minus the drive. I have a Yang SMV with a Fanuc 0md. I like you end support!

I used engine enamel, not sure how well it will hold up to coolant but not much really does. Luckily there was no water in it but it did have some very fine particulates that cleared up after a few clean oil flushes.

You did a great job. I bought a Tsudakoma 4th off HGR for 50$ but it had no motor, no gear as you have pictured and was disassembled in a box. Got it working not long ago. It was a job. My machine came pre wired for a 4th minus the drive. I have a Yang SMV with a Fanuc 0md. I like you end support!

Thanks! Mine had a fanuc motor, so I got the amp and motor off eBay and cables from lyndex. This has been a ton of work, but I expected it and it’s been fun. 50$ is a crazy deal!

Finally done with risers and supports, almost time to assemble and figure out cable routing. Risers and supports done - Album on Imgur
I’ve read you aren’t supposed to run these along the other motor cables due to interference. It would be the cleanest to route along with X+Y

Very nice. I wish I had a tailstock like that with mine. I see that Yuasa made them but I never see them for sale.

I have an issue with mine. I lost the parameters in my machine early on and had to reenter them all by hand from the original parameter sheet. One thing that is wrong on mine is whatever parameter tells it how many counts it is. So if i tell it to rotate 360 degrees it does not quite do that. I suppose it is a combination of the table gear ratio and the servo motor encoder counts? How do you know how many counts your servo motor is (A00 contro/sanyo on mine too). I can come up with the gear ratio of the table.

Very nice. I wish I had a tailstock like that with mine. I see that Yuasa made them but I never see them for sale.

I have an issue with mine. I lost the parameters in my machine early on and had to reenter them all by hand from the original parameter sheet. One thing that is wrong on mine is whatever parameter tells it how many counts it is. So if i tell it to rotate 360 degrees it does not quite do that. I suppose it is a combination of the table gear ratio and the servo motor encoder counts? How do you know how many counts your servo motor is (A00 contro/sanyo on mine too). I can come up with the gear ratio of the table.

Parameter 512 bit zero is the encoder count. It should be 4 from what my list says. It doesn’t change for either of the 3 sizes of Sanyo motors (300w, 500w, and 750w). As for the gear ratio, that would be a question for yuasa. Mine is 90-1 but yours may be different.
I can email you my list if you’d like

Had a few hours to do some adjusting, looks like it’s in pretty good shape. I averaged a reversal error of .0006” over about 7 inches or 35 arc seconds. Considering the factory accuracy rating is 30 arc seconds, I’ll take it! The worst error is at 180 degrees, but I won’t be using that position as there isn’t much that can be done with the bridge upside down. Sorry about the bad video. Reversal error - Album on Imgur
Is there a way to only rotate one direction in the parameters?

Back