What's new
What's new

No Axis Movement After Power Up On Mill Equipped with Fanuc OM-B

Stevevanderloo

Plastic
I have an old First LC-CV305 bed mill with an OM-B control. I saw the machine run satisfactorily before purchase. Now that it is installed in my shop I have only been able to get axis movement once. When I tried jogging 30 minutes later there was no action. According to the manual for this machine, axis should be ready for movement after computer screen runs past diagnostics. No other buttons need be pushed. The only installation change I made was I by passed the 575 transfomer as my input voltage is 220VAC 3 phase. I also cleaned the HMI rotary switches.

There are no alarms, no over travel limit switches open, or emergency stop buttons pushed. All the fuses are ok. The power draw bar does not function. It won't move in jog, rapid, go home, using hand wheel or push botton.

Any suggestions as to what to look for?

Thanks

Normally you need to power up the servos separately. Some machines do work as you say and power up with a timer. However, more commonly, you need to power on the control, then power on the servos. On some machine you hit the "power" button a second time. On some they will have a "master start" button or something like that.

Can you just call the folks you bought it from and quiz them? I'm sure you just missed a step.

You should be able to watch the servo drives during power up. The display is different on different drives, but you should be able to figure it out.

Also, the "edit lock" key can prevent you from doing pretty much anything. Mori is good for that...

Common problem if a machine doesn't run properly after a move is a connection that was disrupted by the jarring of the move. Most of those usually cause alarms and you mention you don't have any alarms. Considering that I agree with others that you probably are not taking the steps in proper order for start up.

Lift the E-stop?

There has got to be a way to have the control "up" with the servo's shut off....
The E-Stop satisfies this on the most simple applications.

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The machine did jog and travel with either handwheel or jog buttons. It took about 15 minutes of messing around with buttons to get it to work. Then no activity 30 minutes later with control still on. I tried reproducing the last set of buttons I pushed and it did not start the axis movement.

I tried the usual; push the power start button twice, push other reset and cancel buttons, e stop pulled out, talked to previous owner and they had some ideas but no luck. Rebooted machine several times. The edit lock key is in unlocked. Oil resevoir is full. Air pressure is up at 90 psi.

One thing I noticed and did not mention is when pushing the jog buttons only the "minus" direction lights up. The "positive" does not.

I didn't try MDI. I just assumed that since I couldn't home the axis MDI will not function.

According to the manual for the machine once power is activated at the HMI, the servos become active after the computer completes its diagnostics, assuming the e stop and over travel switches have not been tripped.

When the disconnect is turned on there is power inside the control cabinet and the fans are running. When the HMI power button is turned on you can hear several small relays turn on, the display lights up, and several seconds later a larger contactor engages, which I believe to be the main power to the servo amps. However I could not confirm this as I couldn't run fast enough to the relay panel to figure out which one went on.

Thanks for your suggestions. It would be handy to have a Fanuc guru chime in or someone familar with this machine. It was made in 1988.

The absence of alarms is strange. I am not familiar with that machine, but do have a newer generation 0 series on a 2 axis lathe. I think you said you did the hold down P-cancel on boot up. Do you have a book on the diagnostics?
You can use that to test all the buttons on the key pad and the limit switches on all 3 axis. You could have something as simple as a cracked solder joint on a wire or a switch whose insides are falling apart and only working intermittently. If all that checks out, I would clean all cable connections with electronic cleaner and dry compressed air and do the same with any board to board connections. On my OT dirty or loose connections cause all kinds of weird alarms, but mine is a 1993 generation and is probably more advanced that yours. CNC technology grew leaps and bounds in that period.

Have a wiring diagram?
Lack of alarms is consistent with lack of input signals.
Is the 24VDC circuit good?
Check the input signals from the operator panel to the PMC via the Diagnostics screen.

Did you try a tool change? depending on your tool changer type if the arm is not in the right place it will inhibit axis movement.

Have a wiring diagram?

Yes however it looks incomplete. I will take a closer look at it.

Lack of alarms is consistent with lack of input signals.
Is the 24VDC circuit good?

I can check the power supply voltage.

Check the input signals from the operator panel to the PMC via the Diagnostics screen.

I don't know enough about the machine/fanuc electronics to do that. I think your suggestion has exceeded by skill set lol!

The absence of alarms is strange. I am not familiar with that machine, but do have a newer generation 0 series on a 2 axis lathe. I think you said you did the hold down P-cancel on boot up. Do you have a book on the diagnostics?
You can use that to test all the buttons on the key pad and the limit switches on all 3 axis. You could have something as simple as a cracked solder joint on a wire or a switch whose insides are falling apart and only working intermittently. If all that checks out, I would clean all cable connections with electronic cleaner and dry compressed air and do the same with any board to board connections. On my OT dirty or loose connections cause all kinds of weird alarms, but mine is a 1993 generation and is probably more advanced that yours. CNC technology grew leaps and bounds in that period.

I noticed the cable cabinet is pretty dirty with a film of oil and grime. Could be a contributor/indicator of electrical connections you suggested above. I'll start with the wire connections. I'll do one section at a time then power up the machine and try it. This way if something gets worse or better I can back track with an idea of the area of change that I made.

I don't know enough about the machine/fanuc electronics to do that. I think your suggestion has exceeded by skill set lol!

What he is saying is look at the wiring diagram. You should find a section with all the functions of the buttons on the control panel. You will find one that says something like "X + JOG -----------------> X0004.6" or something. I don't know the actual input. That means that when you press that jog key, bit X0004.6 will change from 0 to 1. If it does not, you have an input problem.

You can see those input bits in the diagnostic screen. It will look like this:

____X 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
0004 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Watch the green one.

Hope that helps.

What he is saying is look at the wiring diagram. You should find a section with all the functions of the buttons on the control panel. You will find one that says something like "X + JOG -----------------> X0004.6" or something. I don't know the actual input. That means that when you press that jog key, bit X0004.6 will change from 0 to 1. If it does not, you have an input problem.

You can see those input bits in the diagnostic screen. It will look like this:

____X 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
0004 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Watch the green one.

Hope that helps.

Fixed it for you - so that he doesn't get ALL messed up.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah. Sorry. I have a feeling he's still going to get messed up...

Those electrical schematics were like Egyptian hieroglyphics until someone showed me how to read them.

Fixed it for you - so that he doesn't get ALL messed up.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thank you for explaining that one! I had no-o-o-o clue what you were referring to until you made the little pic. I have had to do that on a Yaskawa J50M control. However that was over the phone with the integrator giving me directions. I was looking for a change of state of an encoder marker +Z and -Z. I will take a closer look at the wiring diagram and see what information is on it.

Thanks again for your help!!:)

If you will scan the relevant pages and email them to me or just post them here as a picture I will try to help you. You could also just take some pics with you phone. If you want message me and I will give you an email. Also, I have just about all the Fanuc manuals for 0 series machines in pdf if you need any.

Steve A

Also i have some PDF if Steve doesn't have the right one. How long a ride home was it with the mill on the trailer? It may well have jarred something loose on the ride home.

any chance the door interlock safety switch is in "safe" position?

open and close the control cabinet door or manually push the switch to make sure the button is moving.

Back